Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lahvlahn Thread from 12/01/17 - Now we're talking

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

having to demand to get his grandkid back

fcuked up society:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Just had a memory from the mid to late 70's of going to secondary school and at Christmas a list of first names of children in the local orphanage would go up on the wall so those who would like to buy a toy for an orphan could do so by placing your name and buying a toy. Does anyone else remember this practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Any family at the time could have done what this callers grandfather did. That's the real tragedy of all this. There was complete moral cowardice !

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

No word yet on the Home for " Fallen Women" , Bakers Corner, Deansgrange, Foxrock, Co Dublin. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Was Duffy not a reporter in RTE for the last thirty years. Is this the first time that he has become aware of the subject, or the first time that he is brave enough to cover it?

he paused for tears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

Another day of this? How long can Joe keep it going?

Meanwhile, did anyone hear that la-de-da dimwit who runs An Post on Morning Ireland. I nearly choked on my coffee when he said that very village in Ireland will have a post office. He proposes to put the cost of an ordinary envelope to a €1 and presumably everything else up as well. Closing down rural post offices where people might actually buy postal services. Then he tells us that they're losing money!!!!!!!!! Another fat cat public servant who needs a dose of reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Duffy really is a sick fécker. Getting enjoyment out of all these stories. What purpose does any of this serve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

There's feminazis blocking O Connell Street and Joe is continuing with this harrowing stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Was Duffy not a reporter in RTE for the last thirty years. Is this the first time that he has become aware of the subject, or the first time that he is brave enough to cover it?

First time he's been given the nod to cover it; Joe doesn't have the courage to take on the church all on his own. No sticking-out of the neck for our brave, fearless 'reporter'.
    Fake news takes on a whole new meaning in the studios of shiny-arsed suits in Montrose.
    Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Fujitsu10

Another day of this? How long can Joe keep it going?

Meanwhile, did anyone hear that la-de-da dimwit who runs An Post on Morning Ireland. I nearly choked on my coffee when he said that very village in Ireland will have a post office. He proposes to put the cost of an ordinary envelope to a €1 and presumably everything else up as well. Closing down rural post offices where people might actually buy postal services. Then he tells us that they're losing money!!!!!!!!! Another fat cat public servant who needs a dose of reality.

€1 for the stamp, that's because no one uses the postal system anymore! If any other business was in trouble a price increase would be the last thing on the agenda.

That "You'll need a drink after that" advert is soo bloody stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Sorry Petal

First 'Petal' today!

My ma had me at 18, my dad was 21 in 1975. It's great, I'm 41 and me ma was 60 the other day.

On the other hand I was 39 having my first child, when my Da was 39 I was 18....lost generation in there somewhere

Joe doesn't like anyone criticising de nurses and de doctors...........not the done thing, y'know.

Sorry Petal
    Roger_007 wrote: »
    First 'Petal' today!

It's Spring!

Joe with the pain.
    Sick fecker, take a pill, Joe.

Fujitsu10 wrote: »
    €1 for the stamp, that's because no one uses the postal system anymore! If any other business was in trouble a price increase would be the last thing on the agenda.

Well it's becoming harder and harder to use An Post, particularly if you use their parcel service. Many town post offices are now located inside stores - did you ever try lugging in half a dozen packets & parcels, traipsing in and out past all the checkouts etc. They seem more interested in selling Lotto tickets these days.

• Advertisement

they were given the best of treatment

it was an accident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Ally Dick wrote: »
    There's feminazis blocking O Connell Street and Joe is continuing with this harrowing stuff?

Let me guess, asking for womens rights and the appalling conditions for women in the west - while meanwhile alligning themselves with Islamists and wearing hijabs ???

That 1.9 ad is so f**king stupid and unoriginal as well. Marketing guy should be shot.

they were given the best of treatment

it was an accident

"If it happened at all."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Fujitsu10

Some "Small Procedure"................ What a terrible thing to happen to this poor lady.. :mad::mad:

The sheer fecking arrogance of those people is beyond belief.

• Advertisement

baby still alive and whisked away to America?

I'm kind of not believing everything this woman is saying!

Did the child really die or was he moved on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I'm finding this impossible to follow really ?!?

2smiggy wrote: »
    I'm finding this impossible to follow really ?!?

So am I.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Ally Dick wrote: »

People who use that term should be worked half to death and then thrown in an oven.

Is there an inquiry for everyone in the audience?

"And what color is the headstone?"

There were a lot of "congenital idiots" around back then....still a few nowadays in RTE

A congenital idiot?
    Sure, there was a job waiting for him answering phones in Doooblin.

We'd have been better off if the Brits stayed in charge

"I wonder why she never spoke about it."
    Fear, Joe.
    Honestly, can he come out with any more inanities?
    €416K/pa, folks.

Another day, another dollar for Duffy.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

shure wasnt he hanging around with the pope in galway back in the 70s ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

shure wasnt he hanging around with the pope in galway back in the 70s ?

Sounds like a great idea for a sitcom ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Dan Jaman wrote: »
    First time he's been given the nod to cover it; Joe doesn't have the courage to take on the church all on his own. No sticking-out of the neck for our brave, fearless 'reporter'.
    Fake news takes on a whole new meaning in the studios of shiny-arsed suits in Montrose.

No, Joe covered this 3 or 4 years ago as well. He was on holidays when the story first broke and we had 2 weeks of Tuam babies off PBH and Damo for a day or two. The story had died down when Joe got back.

Not good enough. He promptly laid into 3 weeks of non stop Tuam babies, industrial schools and Magdelene Laundries. He often rang back the very people who were on the show the previous two weeks. It was all a bit bizarre. Like now there was another big breaking news, but he completely ignored it to focus on the babies.

He seems to be far more interested in the burial and graves of the kids as well as the suffering of the survivors rather than the root causes and the following and continued cover up. Which is a bit odd to be honest.

He barely dealt with the issue about 10 years ago when the documentaries on the Laundries was shown. I remember one woman came on and had a go at the general involvement of the church and it's present day cover up and he hung up on her, saying that she can't be saying stuff like that.

It's well-known that bad things went on in those places, it would have gone to the grave of survivors if a few brave people hadn't spoken up. They were vilified as well when they did that back in the 90's and labelled as ill women with a grudge against the Church. It was only really when a couple of well known people like Don Baker came out and said it was true that the tide slowly turned.

But look at this decades whistle-blowers like Maurice McCabe, Mick Wallace and Clare Daly and the abuse they get for calling out others. It's one of the hardest things to do, and when the Establishment turn against you, you have fcuk all chance of surviving with your head above water.

I mean who in their right mind would break the silence after all this?

Maybe he is working on a sequel to Chislers of the Troubles #2, Chislers of the Laundries or some such. wouldn't put it past him, that's his research done already all at our expense. Just send all off to the German publishers and sit back

Red Kev wrote: »
    No, Joe covered this 3 or 4 years ago as well. He was on holidays when the story first broke and we had 2 weeks of Tuam babies off PBH and Damo for a day or two. The story had died down when Joe got back.

Not good enough. He promptly laid into 3 weeks of non stop Tuam babies, industrial schools and Magdelene Laundries. He often rang back the very people who were on the show the previous two weeks. It was all a bit bizarre. Like now there was another big breaking news, but he completely ignored it to focus on the babies.

He seems to be far more interested in the burial and graves of the kids as well as the suffering of the survivors rather than the root causes and the following and continued cover up. Which is a bit odd to be honest.

He barely dealt with the issue about 10 years ago when the documentaries on the Laundries was shown. I remember one woman came on and had a go at the general involvement of the church and it's present day cover up and he hung up on her, saying that she can't be saying stuff like that.

It's well-known that bad things went on in those places, it would have gone to the grave of survivors if a few brave people hadn't spoken up. They were vilified as well when they did that back in the 90's and labelled as ill women with a grudge against the Church. It was only really when a couple of well known people like Don Baker came out and said it was true that the tide slowly turned.

But look at this decades whistle-blowers like Maurice McCabe, Mick Wallace and Clare Daly and the abuse they get for calling out others. It's one of the hardest things to do, and when the Establishment turn against you, you have fcuk all chance of surviving with your head above water.

I mean who in their right mind would break the silence after all this?

Oh, yes, I recall the last go-around now.
    Same applies though - he must have had the nod to rake over it, from higher-ups in RTE, as Joe taking on the Church is kind of unlikely, imo.
    Otoh, this whole stance of his could be nothing more than some stage and persona management to make him look like he's doing something against a soft target. I'm utterly sure if the Church had the same grip on the throats of the nation as it used to have, Joe would be keeping very schtum about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Where it gets interesting is when the Pope visits next year. There will be big demos as the Vatican is massively culpabale in human rights abuses worldwide. The yhave also singularly failed to order that every document relating to the homes be released, they never objected when the Church here tried to block the release of documents in the High Court.

Next year, the usual RTE heads will be forwarded to meet and greet the Pope. Will Joe the Evangelist put his name forward and forget about the Tuam Babies for a couple of weeks to fawn over the Pope or will he make a stand and allow a proper discussion on the radio about objectors to his visit.

One thing is sure; there will be demos against him coming. I've every intention of joining the section which is in favour of the Church releasing all info and paying proper compensation. (No doubt there will be others on with their own agenda).

So how will demonstrators be treated? As people with a valid grievance, or will the narrative be pushed that they are all looper hippy dippy types who need a wash and a good days work.

It'll be interesting, that's for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

De 2-17 Joe Duffy Wurkday Calculator and dat:

Wurkdays in 2-17 to date so to speak: 48
    Joe Shows: 42
    No Show Joe Shows: 6
    PBH Shows: 0
    D'Omen Shows: 6
    AN Udder Shows: 0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

T'day...
    Tuam baby home, homes of babies, deaths, burials, cover ups, etc, etc

I shall not so to speak be listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Maybe he is working on a sequel to Chislers of the Troubles #2, Chislers of the Laundries or some such. wouldn't put it past him, that's his research done already all at our expense. Just send all off to the German publishers and sit back

Do you read Joe's Weekly Column and dat at al at all says I so to speak? De key pint is highlighted in red below so to speak, red ta cymbals de blood a de Childers dat did dyed and dat.

Me Weekly Column, by me, Joe Duffy so to speak.

Well after a short hi-ate-us of a few months for me ta gadder me tawts and dat (and after settlin' wit some geebag who does de writin' in de Sindo (no, not Niamh Horan) and dat for de playgerism and dat) I'm back wi de furst of many I hope says I amd you don't hope says you of me wurild famous "Me Weekly Column, by me, Joe Duffy so to speak" of 2017 2-17 so to speak. dare's so much for me to give me opinion on and as the most intelligent man in de land and de man wit de best English and dat it's only right dat I give me opinion and dat in de most Irish of newspapers De Oirish Daily Fall so to speak. Dare'll be some new feetures to de new and improved "Me Weekly Column, by me, Joe Duffy so to speak" too so to speak. "How does you improve on perfection, Joe?" I hear you say says I.Just you wait and see caller says I.

Good week/Bad week
    is a new feeture dat I did tink of all be meself and it wasn't prompted to me by wan a de editors of de paper at all at all says I. So I'll start wit Bad week.

Bad week Number Wan. It was a bad week for Terry Probe (not a typo) and De Kummunications Klinic. Now I've always been consistent on De Kummunications Klinic and dare owners and staff and I've always stood up to dem fearlesly and was never afrayed to tackle dem or dare nonsense mask-kerr-aiding as de PR and dat. i've always tackled dem head on and never taken any of dare auld guff and dat and indeed never let Tom Savage's former position in RTE (who do be do be do be doin' de payin' of me fees and dat - I mean me main fees now caller, not de fees I get for writin' dis crap) affect me wan bit wen gettin ta de bottom a wan a dare press releases. I covered de Kate Fitzgerald case endlessly, and by endlessly i mean I never started diskussin it at all it for example and I never wance let dare relationship as advisors to de church and dat affect me coverage of de stories so to speak. In de real wurild (i.e. outside RTE) having a position on de state broadcaster and representing de church through a privately held business would be considered a konflict of interest and dat but not in RTE so to speak. It's great dough to know dat de txpayers made dem all rich throug all de gubbermint contracts day git and amazingly day can advise almost all political parties at de same toyme says I.....dat's truly amazing so to speak. Dare a great bunch a lads, like de Chinese so to speak.

Bad week Number too. It was also a bad week for me as I was supposed to take anudder week off (it's March and I haven't had my main holiday yet and have only had wan week off dis year so far so to speak) but den day had to find more baybies in Choom and dat was de end of me little breakeen en France. Now don't get me wrong, it was a jizz fest in Chateau Duffy when I did hurded of de death and dat, but could day not wait until i got back from me jolliers?

Good week.
    I'll be honest, this wan is going to pretty much be a cut and paste from now on. it was a good week for me. I got paid over €10K for 6.25hours "wurk". On that sum I'll pay approx 12.5% tax while you eejits pay 52%+ for 40 hours+. I could gloat but yous no me an how modest and humble I am. i did tink about yous all when I was in de Samsung Kitchen @l'Ecrivain having de Bollinger '57 and de lobster on Friday evening. And if you believe dat I have a new buke coming out later dis year dat yous can buy ta make me richer so to speak.

Udder tings dat did grab my attention.
    Dare was sometin about a long fella from Tipp and dat on de show dis week. I gave out yards abour it and even dough no wan else cared I still went on and on and on and on and on and on abour it until eventually Trinity came on and told me to feck off. I did show up de professor for been a tick dough first when I did riddick-kule him on de forensics and de genes and dat. I don't understand whoy day don't just give me de honorary doctorate at dis stage. I've tried been nice, now I'll pester de hole off dem until day give me wan just to feck off and shurrup so to speak.

De FibreGade are looking for more moolah so to speak. Aren't we all says I? As somewan who earns more dan de comboyned salaries of approx 12 FribeGaders I was keen ta show dem I understood dare plight so to speak and offered me support by going and doin' a photo wit dem. I did dis all for free, pro grattis so to speak - aldough I do have to declare day washed de Jag in exchange for me toyme so to speak. Fair play ta dem, I'll be down every week from now on for de car wash.Ya have ta watch de shillins says I.

De buke(s).
    Everyday I literally get hundrids tousinds a pepple asking me "wen is de new buke coming out Joe?", and me answer is always de same - "You can't rush genius or art says I, so October". Now I was only going ta write wan buke dis year as it's hard to fit de writin' in wit de 6.25hours per week in RTE, but now I've decided ta write 2 and day are as follows:
    1. "De Childers dat did Doyed in De Trubbles so to speak" wit a four-wurd by Bridnin O'Cardle
    2. "De Childers dat did Doyed in Choom so to speak", also wit a four-wurd by Brindin O'Cardle

Both bukes will be out before de Chrimbo and dat and dis tpoyme both bukes will include a colourin-in section ware yous can colour in for example de pictures of de childer on de street corner holding a petril bomb being shot by de British sniper or me own favourite de babbies floating in de septic tank full of shoyte and de skeletons of udder babbies. i tink dis added feeture will appeal to de childers. Each buke comes with all de crayons you do be needin' ta colour in de scenes - black, white, grey and red (for de blood and dat). I've also priced de bukes at €49.99 each as it's important ta me ta keep dem affordable and under de €50 mark so to speak, but wit de extra colourin' sections and de crayons it's totally worth it s to speak.

Dats all for now (day're not paying me by de wurd yous know so to speak). I'll be back next week ta give yisser all de low down on de down low so to speak.

'til next week, keep de faith.

T'day...
    Tuam baby home, homes of babies, deaths, burials, cover ups, etc, etc

I shall not so to speak be listening.

I could have listened today but I'd rather listen to a Funny Fryday than that.

Red Kev wrote: »
    Where it gets interesting is when the Pope visits next year. There will be big demos as the Vatican is massively culpabale in human rights abuses worldwide. The yhave also singularly failed to order that every document relating to the homes be released, they never objected when the Church here tried to block the release of documents in the High Court.

Next year, the usual RTE heads will be forwarded to meet and greet the Pope. Will Joe the Evangelist put his name forward and forget about the Tuam Babies for a couple of weeks to fawn over the Pope or will he make a stand and allow a proper discussion on the radio about objectors to his visit.

One thing is sure; there will be demos against him coming. I've every intention of joining the section which is in favour of the Church releasing all info and paying proper compensation. (No doubt there will be others on with their own agenda).

So how will demonstrators be treated? As people with a valid grievance, or will the narrative be pushed that they are all looper hippy dippy types who need a wash and a good days work.

It'll be interesting, that's for sure.

To paraphrase a former Tanaiste, can I just say that they have very fancy phones too those protestors, some of them have the ability to record video on them and all.....

• Advertisement

Did Sandra Hurley say that it cost "six thousand times" what was expected?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement