Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for looking for rental in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

€800 a month and with good transport links? Op you are genuinely having a laugh. The only way you will get that is if you get an idiot of a landlord or a charitable one I'm afraid.

Up that budget to €1,100 minimum, and ideally €1,300+ so that you will have a few options. If you can't afford that you can't afford Dublin.

myshirt wrote: »
    €800 a month and with good transport links? Op you are genuinely having a laugh. The only way you will get that is if you get an idiot of a landlord or a charitable one I'm afraid.

Up that budget to €1,100 minimum, and ideally €1,300+ so that you will have a few options. If you can't afford that you can't afford Dublin.

I already said I have been keeping an eye on Daft.ie for months and regularly see properties in my price range that would suit me. There's 2 only posted this morning that I would take if in a position to do so (too early yet). I didn't pluck this figure out of thin air, I'm not an idiot and I've done plenty of research.

I don't need to be told again in this thread not to live in Dublin, as I have already said multiple times that I don't have a choice in the matter :rolleyes:

Piratequeen, two options: think hard why you are seeing them at those prices (let me give you a hint, it's nothing to do with standard); or secondly go to these places and see how it works out in the real world.

Post back how you get on.

Piratequeen, two options: think hard why you are seeing them at those prices (let me give you a hint, it's nothing to do with standard); or secondly go to these places and see how it works out in the real world.

Christ, I'm aware they're not palaces, and that I won't just waltz into the first place I find. I've said what my budget is, that I have to live in Dublin and that I'm as flexible as I can be (will live any area of Dublin, and will look at house shares too). I am aware at my budget I'm most likely going to end up in an overpriced kip and I accept that.

Unless your advice is to direct me to my nearest homeless shelter, it's not particularly helpful.

The poster already said that they understand the places will be fairly crap and they are willing to accept that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Piratequeen I know that you may not appreciate all the responses that people have taken time to post but that is no reason to be uncivil. If you have an issue with a post please use the report post function, do not retort on thread as you have been doing this morning. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

It's still very touch and go. Don't forget transport costs for the Luas/Bus will eat up another 100 euro a month. Gas and electricity another 100 minimum. So you're looking at 1k a month just there vs whatever you're paying now (probably half that) for college accommodation which has you within walking distance of the lab.

I am presuming that your boyfriend is contributing somehow financially in spite of his situation because if not, I'm sorry but it'll be extremely difficult to pull this off on a post-grad salary. I hope you make it happen and it would be a testament to hard work and restraint but the way the market is going now the odds surely are stacked against you. What you don't want is to throw financial stress on top of your 1 hour commute each way as you and your boyfriend learn to live together for the first time (a challenge in itself by the way!). Having said that statistics mean nothing to the individual and you seem to mean business so I wish you all the best.

Kindly do keep us updated.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Mod note

Piratequeen I know that you may not appreciate all the responses that people have taken time to post but that is no reason to be uncivil. If you have an issue with a post please use the report post function, do not retort on thread as you have been doing this morning. Thank you

Sorry, gets frustrating having to keep repeating myself! I'll ignore any similar posts.
    It's still very touch and go. Don't forget transport costs for the Luas/Bus will eat up another 100 euro a month. Gas and electricity another 100 minimum. So you're looking at 1k a month just there vs whatever you're paying now (probably half that) for college accommodation which has you within walking distance of the lab.

I am presuming that your boyfriend is contributing somehow financially in spite of his situation because if not, I'm sorry but it'll be extremely difficult to pull this off on a post-grad salary. I hope you make it happen and it would be a testament to hard work and restraint but the way the market is going now the odds surely are stacked against you. What you don't want is to throw financial stress on top of your 1 hour commute each way as you and your boyfriend learn to live together for the first time (a challenge in itself by the way!). Having said that statistics mean nothing to the individual and you seem to mean business so I wish you all the best.

Kindly do keep us updated.

Yeah I have all those costs in mind too. He does contribute financially too, it's about a 2/3 : 1/3 split but we'll have to make it work! We have lived together for a few months before so I'm confident we won't have any teething issues in that regard, we've been together nearly 7 years :pac:

Thanks for the well wishes, I'll keep updated when the search starts proper in April!

Alright, let me be clear, I'm not saying you will have to accept a kip. I'm saying you will not get anything at all. At that price range you will be looking at (1) scams (2) persons illegally subletting, possibly an overheld property (3) Persons not owning the property, (4) Properties that somehow magically go up in price once you've viewed it (marketing tactic) (5) Properties with hidden charges, (6) Some very sinister characters, and God knows what else. It isn't a case of seeing it on daft, thinking this looks like a runner, and oh well it didn't work out and everything will be grand after it, I'll just move on to the next one. You're playing a risky game if you ask me.

The old adage of if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't. Use some common sense. No one here wants to see a young girl with limited money get done out of it, and thus the reality check. It is Dreamland to rent a one bed with good transport at that price. Dreamland. Up the budget to €1,100+ or move out of Dublin - that is the only realistic action you can take right now.

Alright, let me be clear, I'm not saying you will have to accept a kip. I'm saying you will not get anything at all. At that price range you will be looking at (1) scams (2) persons illegally subletting, possibly an overheld property (3) Persons not owning the property, (4) Properties that somehow magically go up in price once you've viewed it (marketing tactic) (5) Properties with hidden charges, (6) Some very sinister characters, and God knows what else. It isn't a case of seeing it on daft, thinking this looks like a runner, and oh well it didn't work out and everything will be grand after it, I'll just move on to the next one. You're playing a risky game if you ask me.

The old adage of if it is too good to be true, it probably isn't. Use some common sense. No one here wants to see a young girl with limited money get done out of it, and thus the reality check. It is Dreamland to rent a one bed with good transport at that price. Dreamland. Up the budget to €1,100+ or move out of Dublin - that is the only realistic action you can take right now.

Or I'll find a house share. Thanks for the warning but I have a good head on me, I think I'll manage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I know you've said it has to be in Dublin, but what about a town on the train line? Kildare or even further out. Kilkenny would be nearly doable for a year.

You'd have a better chance of picking up a nicer place outside Dublin.

I've lived in a damp ****hole once and it's a horrible place to be during the winter. Personally I'd rather commute a bit longer and have a nice place.

Best of luck with it. You're obviously very organised so I'm sure you'll pick something up.

I know you've said it has to be in Dublin, but what about a town on the train line? Kildare or even further out. Kilkenny would be nearly doable for a year.

You'd have a better chance of picking up a nicer place outside Dublin.

I've lived in a damp ****hole once and it's a horrible place to be during the winter. Personally I'd rather commute a bit longer and have a nice place.

Best of luck with it. You're obviously very organised so I'm sure you'll pick something up.

I would normally be one to suggest moving further out and commuting if the person was working but having the experience of doing a postgrad I would not see commuting a long distance (especially if you have to get public transport as the op has indicated they will) is really not a runner. It's not unusual for post grad students to regularly out in 12+ hour days and work 6 or possibly even 7 days a week especially when writing up. None of this is really compatible with a few hours commuting especially as trains etc may not even be running when it's time to go home.

I'm not saying you have to live next door to where you work but travelling up from KK would be madness while trying to put the hours required into a postgrad.

I honestly think the most practical solution is for both of you to houseshare in seperate places for now (unless you are lucky enough to find a suitable houseshare that will accept couples). It might not be what you have in mind but it might be the only option. Also as much as I hated housesharing and am glad to be finished with it, you need a comfortable place and be able to get a good nights sleep so coming home to a warm, niceish houseshare might be better than a run down studio flat that's cold and possibly in bad area (especially if walking home late regularly).

I would normally be one to suggest moving further out and commuting if the person was working but having the experience of doing a postgrad I would not see commuting a long distance (especially if you have to get public transport as the op has indicated they will) is really not a runner. It's not unusual for post grad students to regularly out in 12+ hour days and work 6 or possibly even 7 days a week especially when writing up. None of this is really compatible with a few hours commuting especially as trains etc may not even be running when it's time to go home.

I'm not saying you have to live next door to where you work but travelling up from KK would be madness while trying to put the hours required into a postgrad.

I honestly think the most practical solution is for both of you to houseshare in seperate places for now (unless you are lucky enough to find a suitable houseshare that will accept couples). It might not be what you have in mind but it might be the only option. Also as much as I hated housesharing and am glad to be finished with it, you need a comfortable place and be able to get a good nights sleep so coming home to a warm, niceish houseshare might be better than a run down studio flat that's cold and possibly in bad area (especially if walking home late regularly).

Ha I'm glad you have an idea of postgrad life! Yeah living outside of Dublin would be a last resort as it's really not tenable with my working hours. I think I'll give looking at studios a go and if I think they're too horrible to live in I'll focus on houseshares.

Mr.S wrote: »
    OP have you tried asking your network of friends (or friends of friends) if people are moving out that you can replace / looking for people to live with / know of anyone renting out a room? If you've a good few college friends, come April / May you should find people leaving their rented rooms to go home. A simple facebook post could go wonders.

If you find a 3 person who would be willing to live with a couple, then finding a 2 bed would be a lot easier.

You'll have a much nicer time in a small houseshare with someone you might know then in a dingy flat for less then 1k (which it will be if its that price, no matter how nice the photos seem).

That would be ideal but most of my friends have emigrated, or are living at home to save up for a house. I don't really have any friends still in college save those also doing postgrads in my lab and I know none of them will be looking for accommodation anytime soon.

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'd actively go down the route of trying to find a houseshare that accepts couples then, you'd be surprised how often people are fine with it. You'll get more value for money, more breathing space and bills will be easier. I know its not your own place, but better then nothing and you might make friends out of it!

Obviously set up alerts for daft for 1 beds / studios for less then €900 and ring the landlord as soon as they go up, don't bother with email, and go to the viewing with all your documents in a folder (employment / bank records / references) and offer to pay the deposit there and then.

They're rare, but you can find decent small 1 beds / studios in your budget. Have a look for unfurnished places too, they're even rarer but the demand for these will be less.

Thanks for the advice, I will follow it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

You will find a studio apartment in dublin 6 for around €800. But you will need to be prepared to look seriously, move like lighting when something comes up and be prepared to sit on doorsteps for a few hours before viewing time to make sure you are the first person to talk to landlord

Definitely have refs and deposit + first months rent with you.

Good luck. Its mental at the moment but perseverance pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Or I'll find a house share. Thanks for the warning but I have a good head on me, I think I'll manage.

Why bother going to the trouble of opening a thread if you feel you'll manage??

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Why bother going to the trouble of opening a thread if you feel you'll manage??

I was looking for advice on how to get ahead at viewings, make sure I make the best impression that I can and how long I should give myself to search, not advice as to whether I should live in Dublin or not on my budget. I think I can manage to avoid scams and dodgy properties.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Well...

Me and my girlfriend viewed a double-room house share in blanchardatown just over a week ago. Lovely place and lovely room. Only 125 per week. Sadly didn't get it. Lots viewing it on the day.

I know a guy who rents a three bedroom bungalow (also in blanch) and pays 1100 per month for it. He is married with kids.

Point is there ARE decently priced places out there. Problem is they are all snapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Well...

Me and my girlfriend viewed a double-room house share in blanchardatown just over a week ago. Lovely place and lovely room. Only 125 per week. Sadly didn't get it. Lots viewing it on the day.

I know a guy who rents a three bedroom bungalow (also in blanch) and pays 1100 per month for it. He is married with kids.

Point is there ARE decently priced places out there. Problem is they are all snapped up.
    Whoever did get it almost certainly offered more than the initial €125 asked if the room was nice. The LL then realised they had priced it below market rate and took one of the market rate offers.

The 3 bed bungalow is well below market rate for the area. It's either in bits or the guy has been there a few years and the LL hasn't increased the rent, but if your friend and family moved out it would be up for rent for 50% more in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

murphaph wrote:
    The 3 bed bungalow is well below market rate for the area. It's either in bits or the guy has been there a few years and the LL hasn't increased the rent, but if your friend and family moved out it would be up for rent for 50% more in the morning.

Not under the new regulations it won't

rawn wrote: »
    Not under the new regulations it won't

As has been said many times it's almost impossible to enforce this unless the new tenant talks to the old tenant which is very unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭PaperArchitect

I've such a pain in my face from looking online at this stage, I feel the OPs pain and I only started search. Need to find a place in the next two weeks as starting work in Dub. When I was a student starting out in Dublin I rented a room in Broadstone Hall. I had to contact the accommodation directly for viewings. I wonder if anyone knows do these sort of places exist anywhere in Dublin at a budget of €1100? Just thought maybe I'm missing a trick here or is everthing posted on Daft etc. Again moving in with girlfriend and would like own place. And really would not like to sleep in the kitchen.

Update for anyone who was following this thread:

Myself and my OH are now moved in to a great one bed flat for €750pm in a quiet area of the city centre, only a 20 minute walk to my lab. It's got a spacious living room/kitchen area, separate decent sized bathroom and separate double bedroom. It also has a hallway with loads of storage space, and exclusive access to a private patio area at the back. It's described as a 'basement' flat but really it's more lower ground floor level as there's 2 large windows in the living room that let in plenty of light during the day. There's no issues with damp that we've noticed, and really the only negative about the place is that it can get quite cold and only has electric heating, but honestly it's manageable. Our landlord is a gent and has been great to deal with so far, so we don't envisage there being any problems between us (there was no freezer when we moved in so we asked for one and he came round the next day to replace the old fridge with a brand new fridge freezer).

We were really lucky to nab the place, it was only the second ad I responded to! I set up a search alert on Daft so I got a notification as soon as the ad went up, and called the LL straight away. We were invited for a viewing the next day, and showed up with a folder with all our references, payslips and a cover letter. The LL said he only took the first 10 or so people who called him for a viewing (didn't look at texts or emails), and everyone who viewed it said they wanted to take it but he was most impressed with us so we got offered the place that evening :)

So, moral of the story is if you're organised and make an effort to present yourself well you can find decent rentals on a tight budget in Dublin. Thanks everyone who gave me advice in this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Congrats piratequeen and good luck with the post-grad!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement