Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Bottle Bombs - what to do next?

• 12-01-2017 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭

Have been using Cooper's PET bottles but got some 500ml glass bottles recently.

So tried The Craft Range Ice Cool Apple Cider there recently.. left it in primary for about 3 weeks and ended up with a FG of about 1.004.

Here's the problem.. as have been doing so far to moderately pleasing results, decided to use 2 Munton's carb drops in each glass bottle (to be fair, the Munton packaging do indicate that much), and they're been sitting under the stairs since last Friday and am more than a little worried about the potential of bottle bombs.

Didn't see any swelling or anything to indicate over-carbonation when using PET, but glass is a different beast entirely.

Read about someone with a similar issue who ended up opening and re-sealing them.. what do people think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,013 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Actually, Munton's drops seem to be smaller than Cooper's (the latter being the one more documentated online) so might be OK.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,895 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Should be fine. Even two Cooper's drops won't cause a 500ml bottle to explode on their own.

Yeah, probably being overly cautious but just worried as first time using glass.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you're particularly worried you could open one up and see what the carbonation is like. Sounds like it'll be ok though.

Check for over-carbonation, or what would I be looking for exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Basq wrote: »
    Check for over-carbonation, or what would I be looking for exactly?

Beer on the ceiling....

^ You got the Lionel Ritchie lyric wrong! :pac:

Might wait it out..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Yeah check for over carbonation. If it explodes out of a bottle there might be an issue but honestly I don't think you've anything to worry about. Glass can withstand a decent level of carbonation before breaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 ferg44

Ive used glass bottles for over 2 years, never had one go bang, and I have a bad habit of nearly always adding too much sugar ..opened one last ngt ( sparkling ale) and it was overflowing the glass for a minute before it stopped ..but Cider imo needs a good bit of sugar to get any carbonation ..last batch of Finlandia cider I did tastes good, but way too flat ..that's with a large spoon of sugar to each bottle.. once they are capped properly is more important

ferg44 wrote: »
    Ive used glass bottles for over 2 years, never had one go bang, and I have a bad habit of nearly always adding too much sugar ..opened one last ngt ( sparkling ale) and it was overflowing the glass for a minute before it stopped ..but Cider imo needs a good bit of sugar to get any carbonation ..last batch of Finlandia cider I did tastes good, but way too flat ..that's with a large spoon of sugar to each bottle.. once they are capped properly is more important
    First time crown capping so some felt to "clamp" a bit better than others.. anyone's guess! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 ferg44

Yep , know that feeling ok .. I always clamp them a few times to be safe , but my newest capper is not a v good one tbh ...

Cracked one up open this evening.. plenty of bubbling when poured but not overly fizzy on the palate just yet.. it is only 11 days in the bottle yet though. Will leave now until February minimum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Open them outdoors to avoid divorce.

Advertisement