Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bristol or Edinburgh for 6 month college placement?

Options
  • 12-01-2017 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

So I'm a 2nd year college student from Galway and I am required to undertake a 6 month placement (June to December) as part of the course. I am looking at two possible options in either Bristol or Edinburgh and while both seem equally good, I'm wondering which city would be better in terms of:

- price (which would be cheaper?)
    - being easy to get around
    - safety (from what I gather both are quite safe and I know every area will have their bad bits but I'd like to get opinions all the same)

_ student population
    _ nightlife
    _ taxi service

Being a student myself, I would like if possibe to share with other students and I wouldn't like to live on my own so any tips for house sharing would be greatly appreciated.

I'd love to hear people's opinions/advice on either city (or both if you've been to each!) Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Been to both, I live in Edinburgh so I'm obviously biased. I liked Bristol, though parts of the city center were a bit rundown, still safe mind, but seeing as I'm 7 years in Edinburgh and spent a weekend in Bristol there's no great basis for comparison.

I believe Edinburgh has the bigger college population so would have more going for it in that regard.

Edinburgh is probably more expensive, from a nightlife point of view they were the same, but I'd expect to pay more for rent in non Uni accommodation.

Taxi wise - you have private (grey cars), black cabs and Uber, the bus service is fantastic though so you'd very rarely need one. If you're on the tram line you're laughing.

There's already been a few threads comparing the 2 cities, should be a handy read for you.

Advertisement