Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Complaint about haunted bread on Late Late Show

• 12-01-2017 6:44pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2017/01/12/maligning-the-host/
    The head of the Family and Media Association is “almost definitely” going to complain to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland after the Eucharist was ridiculed on RTÉ’s flagship chat show.

Speaking to The Irish Catholic, Donal O’Sullivan-Latchford said that he was “very likely” to complain to the BAI after The Late Late Show broadcast on January 6, the Feast of the Epiphany, featured a discussion in which the Eucharist was referred to as “haunted bread”.

During a discussions about whether religious practice, long in decline, might be on the rise, comedian David Chambers, who performs as ‘Blindboy Boatclub’ in the comedy duo The Rubberbandits, said that young people attending midnight Mass at Christmas were “not going there for haunted bread”, but were going because it was a family event. “Everybody at midnight Mass is half-cut anyway,” he added.

Presenter Ryan Tubridy said he thought the phrase ‘haunted bread’ was “a great expression”, and Mr Chambers said “That’s what it is,” arguing that the Church “does not want us to use critical thinking” and is “asking us to eat the ghost of a 2000-year-old carpenter”.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Having a great chat here :

5tGKy2y.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

uh, wtf??

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,771 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Hmm. Someone who thinks that the Catholic church is “asking us to eat the ghost of a 2000-year-old carpenter” is probably foolish to invoke critical thinking as the standard by which anyone's comments should be judged. That will come back to bite him in the arse.

But, yeah, this is a storm in a teacup. Or maybe in a ciborium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,771 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Hmm. Someone who thinks that the Catholic church is “asking us to eat the ghost of a 2000-year-old carpenter” is probably foolish to invoke critical thinking as the standard by which anyone's comments should be judged. That will come back to bite him in the arse.

But, yeah, this is a storm in a teacup. Or maybe in a ciborium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I would be stunned if he follows through on this.

If it were 1982 I could see his complaint taken seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

Wrong thread. This belongs in the "The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion" thread.
    Love the "haunted bread" expression. It almost makes up for the "young men need feminism" nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,788 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Hmm. Someone who thinks that the Catholic church is “asking us to eat the ghost of a 2000-year-old carpenter” is probably foolish to invoke critical thinking as the standard by which anyone's comments should be judged.

I agree that was a very inaccurate thing to say. As we all know, the Catholic Church is asking us to eat the ghost of a 2000-year-old son of a carpenter :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,385 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"We demand balance for everything on RTE!"
    *makes fun of Christianity*
    "NOT THAT KIND OF BALANCE!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't watch the Late Late Show, so I wouldn't have heard about this if the objection hadn't been raised.
    Fair play to the Family and Media Association for getting the joke a wider audience, I for one intend to refer to it as "haunted bread" from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I wonder would this be dealt with under that law against blasphemy?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

3rdDegree wrote: »

I wish! But I very much doubt it,
    They don't have the balls to use the blasphemy law because they know it'll create a **** storm that will eventually lead the law being removed and **** tonne of bad PR for the catholic church and their specific organisation.

Instead they'll make some broadcasting complaint still the blasphemy law can remain on the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I agree that was a very inaccurate thing to say. As we all know, the Catholic Church is asking us to eat the ghost of a 2000-year-old son of a carpenter :pac:
    Hang on now, Jebus was also a carpenter, fully trained.
    Just not a good enough carpenter to make a career of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

recedite wrote: »
    Hang on now, Jebus was also a carpenter, fully trained.
    Just not a good enough carpenter to make a career of it.

Come on, there's no evidence he had his City & Guilds certs.

3rdDegree wrote: »
    It shall be a defence to proceedings for an offence under this section for the defendant to prove that a reasonable person would find genuine literary, artistic, political, scientific, or academic value in the matter to which the offence relates.
    Some people would view the Rubber Bandits as artists. Not sure whether those are reasonable people though :pac:

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Come on, there's no evidence he had his City & Guilds certs.
    There is firm evidence in the bible.
    And when the sabbath was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, Whence hath this man these things? and, What is the wisdom that is given unto this man, and [what mean] such mighty works wrought by his hands? Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, and brother of James, and Joses, and Judas, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended in him
    And that's the gospel truth. A carpenter posing as a teacher. Offending all the unions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Haunted bread lol

Absolute classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

There is firm evidence in the bible.And that's the gospel truth. A carpenter posing as a teacher. Offending all the unions.

Jesus had siblings?

Jesus had siblings?
    Yeah, but they were muggles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Best post so far of 2017 and deserving of a cut&paste to the funnies section!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

And adopted, or it was a blended family.

MrP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Whats a muggle? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

Think about it, Body of Christ, Blood of Christ. So church is preaching cannibalism and vampirism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I wouldn't be too worried about what a lad with a bag on his head would say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

No it's not. It's worse. It's mandatory at least once a year to eat the BODY and BLOOD of the 2000 year old who was the step son of the carpenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Cabaal wrote: »

I really hope they are stupid enough to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

Ah, come on. You're on the internet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muggle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jesus had siblings?

Yeah but don't tell the catholics.

'And we ask blessed Mary, ever virgin...'

In fairness they were only half-siblings :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

https://www.thesun.ie/news/irish-news/436067/priest-lodges-complaint-over-what-he-claimed-was-ridiculing-of-the-eucharist-by-rubberbandits-member-on-the-late-late-show/

I'm not atheist or agnostic...but come on. Even people I know with very strong beliefs (Far more than my own) saw the funny side of this.

If it was the BS about his feminism and mental health, I'd be like 'here here'...but 'haunted bread'...for the love of criminy. And him being all hostile with Ryan Tubridy, who calls himself a Catholic...:rolleyes:

Sad thing is, I've been to one of his masses (just one).
    The embarassment of this like, for people who know him and the village too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,485 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Mental health is never BS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,567 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

A No-Maj.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

TheChizler wrote: »
    Mental health is never BS.

You'll see in some of my other posts, I've had my own issues with mental health-that was not what I was referring to. Far from it.

I was referring to how Blindboy essentially claimed that by embracing feminism, that it could cure men's mental health. That's the BS.
    Mental health is far more complicated than embracing an ideology.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Once again, "comedian" mocks religion, how sophisticated we all are Looking forward to next weeks Late Late Show where they poke fun at the Holocaust or the AIDS virus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

religion has just been likened to the holocaust. you heard it here folks.

Once again, "comedian" mocks religion, how sophisticated we all are Looking forward to next weeks Late Late Show where they poke fun at the Holocaust or the AIDS virus.
    Are you defending the AIDS virus(sic)? I think it's a complete rotter and deserves to be attacked.
    What an absolute failure of an attempt to signal virtue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

religion has just been likened to the holocaust. you heard it here folks.

But religion has been responsible for far more death and suffering than the holocaust.

• Advertisement

Tommy Tiernan was mocking Christianity what, ten years ago, when the Church was much more powerful than it is today. It's such an easy, safe target to mock. I want to see comedians target homosexuals, transgenders or refugees. They are the ones who have the power now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tommy Tiernan was mocking Christianity what, ten years ago, when the Church was much more powerful than it is today. It's such an easy, safe target to mock. I want to see comedians target homosexuals, transgenders or refugees. They are the ones who have the power now.

The problem is, those groups aren't as ridiculous as the church. And they don't have the same *ahem* 'track record' here. No homosexual, trans, or refugee individual ever told me people were wrong for not following their silly superstitions.

Also, name a refugee in power?

It's such an easy, safe target to mock. I want to see comedians target homosexuals, transgenders or refugees. They are the ones who have the power now.
    "My son can't get into a school because he isn't trans!" -No one ever

What power do you think these groups have? Please give examples.

Are you a parody?

endacl wrote: »
    The problem is, those groups aren't as ridiculous as the church. And they don't have the same *ahem* 'track record' here. No homosexual, trans, or refugee individual ever told me people were wrong for not following their silly superstitions.

You don't have to be in power to have power. Hundreds of young Syrian men have got free bed and board in Roscommon, while Irish citizens struggle to put food on the table. George Soros is pushing his globalist agenda here and elsewhere, bankrolling anti Catholic, pro-abortion groups. You can't turn on the TV or radio without having the liberal POV rammed in your face.

endacl wrote: »

Wyclef Jean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Advbrd wrote: »
    Wyclef Jean?

Not 'til November.

endacl wrote:
    Reds under the bed rant
    So that's a big fat no then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You don't have to be in power to have power. Hundreds of young Syrian men have got free bed and board in Roscommon, while Irish citizens struggle to put food on the table. George Soros is pushing his globalist agenda here and elsewhere, bankrolling anti Catholic, pro-abortion groups. You can't turn on the TV or radio without having the liberal POV rammed in your face.
    Inclusiveness is the new normal, Frosty. Get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I don think the dope who talks crap with a plastic bag tied round his head deserves the title comedian. As your posters are calling him. They were over in uk last year and people thought they were pathetic.

Firstly, how do you know they are Syrian?
    Secondly, George Soros is a liberal secularist. As such, how do you expect him to behave towards the catholic church?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

homosexuals, transgenders or refugees. They are the ones who have the power now.
    i was sure enda kenny is a straight, cisgender native of ireland. but sure you can't trust anyone these days.

i was sure enda kenny is a straight, cisgender native of ireland. but sure you can't trust anyone these days.

You forgot male, white and privileged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I don think the dope who talks crap with a plastic bag tied round his head deserves the title comedian. As your posters are calling him. They were over in uk last year and people thought they were pathetic.

Are these the guys who hang out with Russell Brand, talking all philosophy and woo ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Hundreds of young Syrian men have got free bed and board in Roscommon, while Irish citizens struggle to put food on the table.
    We note your immediate descent into the kind of incendiary prose beloved of Katie Hopkins, or false news as beloved of the Idiot Twitler.

Do you have anything positive or useful add to this discussion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

They were funny once and wrote a couple of catchy tunes. Blind boy appearing on the late late every five minutes giving us his social commentary with his "I'm very intelligent really " shtick isn't anywhere near as entertaining.
    It's getting pretty boring to be fair

• Advertisement
Advertisement