Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about haunted bread on Late Late Show

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

So it was not the "last" then was it? I so called it :p

Boring someone into submission is a Pyrrhic victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Boring someone into submission is a Pyrrhic victory.

Not sure what that has to do with anything I just wrote? You are simply dodging and getting personal now so unless you have any significant to add I think I will just refer this one to the mods and leave it there.

I think I will just refer this one to the mods and leave it there.

That's something that I have never actually done. I guess it is just another difference between you and me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

....... wrote: »

I somewhat suspect that the user you are replying to AND the person who made the complaint do not see anything offensive about it either. It was a knee jerk emotional response that I doubt the original complainant can put into words and actually explain.

Often "offense" is emotional and nothing else. When you sit down someone claiming offense and ask them to actually verbalize the reasoning behind what exactly they think is offensive.... they simply can not do it. They themselves do not know. They just know THAT they were offended.

Which is what made the earlier link to a poster about abortion so comical. It simply is not a comparable example. While the complainant in that case was over ruled, at least they are able to sit down and explain EXACTLY what their issue with the billboard actually was.

Not so much here, which is why we get dodge deflections of desperation into non-sequiturs about what accent the person making the "offensive" statement used, or how the background of his onstage persona at the time differs from his real world one.

Hand waving dodge tactics that avoid the actual (non)issue in play here.

But I also suspect I can verbalize the source of his "offence" better than he can. It is not that the description of the crackers was offensive at all. Rather it was a description that did not show enough reverence for said tasteless crackers in the first place. He was not offended by derision, but by lack of enough reverence. And that, alas for him, says more about him than it does about the original speaker or his comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Mod: enough already. I can't be bothered switching my brain on to figure out who was at fault in the last two pages, but I get the impression realdanbreen was being evasive for the sake of it. Anyways, cease with the nit picking and move on with the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

i just had to pullquote that.
    A few people have commented on it. None of them have had the balls to actually address the point.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what point? that women are more religious than men, or that the majority of the board are women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Samaris wrote: »
    Not come across that, but that is a ridiculous phrase. Let us go back to making balls of things as God and Wikitionary intended!

This is Ireland. We will make a bollix of things.

Scrap the cap!

looksee wrote: »
    Mod: enough already. I can't be bothered switching my brain on to figure out who was at fault in the last two pages, but I get the impression realdanbreen was being evasive for the sake of it. Anyways, cease with the nit picking and move on with the discussion.

I take my hat off to you mod. Too often some mods are itching to dish out warnings & bans usually under the catchall 'arguementative style of posting'. As a result you find that very few A&A threads have many opinions from non atheists. When the mod on a thread has fixated opinions it is difficult for them to be fair and even handed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Can see arguments for both sides - there are a lot of Catholics still in Ireland and it's offensive to hear on the national broadcast station jokes about what is one of the most holy tenets of their belief, the transubstantion of the wafer into the body of Christ (arguments about cannibalism aside, personally, I can recognise a metaphor when it's used, even in the Bible). On the other hand, shut up already Catholics, you're still dominant, others are a lot more impacted by your belief via the law than you are by other peoples' beliefs, and if your faith is challenged by a joke which looks perfectly accurate from the outside that may be more your issue than anyone else's.

In summation - it's like watching a fight between a nettle and a wasp. Someone's going to get stung and I really can't care enough which it is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Too often some mods are itching to dish out warnings & bans usually under the catchall 'arguementative style of posting'. As a result you find that very few A&A threads have many opinions from non atheists.
    On the contrary, most religious posters seem too nervous about posting here in A+A where their views are likely to be questioned and sometimes even ridiculed - or "attacked" or "persecuted" as the terminology goes.

Posters who appear to be protestant - the vast majority of whom seem to be evangelical - appear a little less nervous about discussing their religious views than posters who appear to be catholic, possibly because evangelical protestants can be more familiar than catholics in discussing the religious beliefs they've acquired.

Nonetheless, most religious posters tend to depart quickly, if they post at all, because they're simply not comfortable taking questions about their irrational beliefs.

Nowt to do with moderators at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I'm probably one of the few believers who do post here-I think yes, people don't like asking questions, but then too often I see similar/ have similar experiences-with religious and so on. Like, as someone who is spiritual, I discuss my beliefs openly, because I don't conform to any religion. Just as happy/ unhappy in a church or temple... most comfortable standing in a field or amongst nature. Feel more connected there.

I find too many religious folks are blinkered and fearful of others be it their beliefs or non-belief. There are a few exceptions, but there are also a few stereotypes.

robindch wrote: »

Nonetheless, most religious posters tend to depart quickly, if they post at all, because they're simply not comfortable taking questions about their irrational beliefs.

Nowt to do with moderators at all.

When a very active mod like yourself regards other posters on the thread as having 'irrational beliefs' then it's no wonder so many believers steer well clear of the A&A threads.

When a very active mod like yourself regards other posters on the thread as having 'irrational beliefs' then it's no wonder so many believers steer well clear of the A&A threads.
    It's hardly an issue for A+A and its members if religious posters are frightened of exposure to the kind of rational inquiry which they're unlikely ever to experience in their chosen religious outlet.

George. is. upset. And. when. George. is. upset. let. no. man. Let. no. woman. Let. no. child. in. this. holy. island. of. Ireland. be. in. any. doubt. For. one. minute. For. one. second. For. one. millisecond! That. George. is. upset. And. rightly. so. And. that. this. selfsame. George. has. two. hours. of. airtime. to. fill. each. weekday. from. twelve. until. two. in. the. afternoon. which. is. a. long. two. hours. away. and. that. George. has. bugger. all. to. fill. it. with.

http://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/High_Noon/Highlights_from_High_Noon/200620/Ireland_is_a_cold_place_for_Christians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

It is a long two hours to fill. I doubt if Hooke has a very large staff of researchers. More hard actual news would be nice

I find that Graham guy annoying.

Hook's own style is a hard listen. Wall to wall outrage, the affected drawl.

btw I think the priest who complained about the "haunted bread" was fully entitled to do so. This still a mainly Christian country. I am not a very fervent Catholic; I considered it offensive.

If a joke or remark were made insulting other faiths in countries where other faiths predominate there would be riots and blood on the streets - imho

nuac wrote: »

btw I think the priest who complained about the "haunted bread" was fully entitled to do so. This still a mainly Christian country. I am not a very fervent Catholic; I considered it offensive.

If a joke or remark were made insulting other faiths in countries where other faiths predominate there would be riots and blood on the streets - imho

Yes, the priest was entitled to complain, in the same way that the rest of us are entitled to consider it mildly amusing. In this case, given references to the Holy Ghost and the host (host being bread that is host of the Body of Christ?) and its ability to change its substance and so on, describing it as haunted bread seems perfectly accurate. How is it not?

Would you like to see riots and blood in the streets in protest?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm not sure what point you are trying to make here - we consider riots and bloodshed to be bad, so it in no way informs what our reaction should be.

Yes, the priest was entitled to complain, in the same way that the rest of us are entitled to consider it mildly amusing. In this case, given references to the Holy Ghost and the host (host being bread that is host of the Body of Christ?) and its ability to change its substance and so on, describing it as haunted bread seems perfectly accurate. How is it not?

Would you like to see riots and blood in the streets in protest?

Of course not. I am merely pointing out that a similar remark in some other countries about the beliefs of another religion would not be well received. People have been killed elsewhere for such remarks.

• Advertisement

i'm not sure what point you are trying to make here - we consider riots and bloodshed to be bad, so it in no way informs what our reaction should be.

See my reply to Looksee.

again, any decent person would utterly condemn such action. it has no bearing on the discussion at hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Of course not. I am merely pointing out that a similar remark in some other countries about the beliefs of another religion would not be well received. People have been killed elsewhere for such remarks.

Good enough reason to make sure that all religion is run out out of town on a rail

Anyway holy bread is not haunted, it is the actual flesh of the undead

I'm outraged at the inaccuracy

I am merely pointing out that a similar remark in some other countries about the beliefs of another religion would not be well received. People have been killed elsewhere for such remarks.
    By using that fact as you have, you seem to be suggesting that you think this is a good idea - though when this is pointed out, you thankfully row back and say that you don't think it's a good idea.

Sometimes it's useful to recall that beliefs can't get offended and don't have rights while humans do have rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Fr Kevin McNamara says that he lost the battle, but won the war:

https://www.killarneytoday.com/fr-kevin-lost-case-won-war/
    THE Kerry priest who complained the Late Late Show to the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland over the Eucharist being described as “haunted bread” during a panel discussion said he may have lost the case but he feels he “won the war”.

Fr Kevin McNamara had objected to the content of the chat show last January following controversial remarks made by a Rubberbandits satirist who calls himself Blindboy Boatclub.

The Moyvane PP, who was based in Killarney for several years, complained that the incident was blasphemous and anti-Catholic and he was upset that show host, Ryan Tubridy said he thought the haunted bread phrase was “a great expression”.

While RTlater accepted it caused offence to some viewers and apologised, the Broadcasting Authority rejected Fr McNamara’s complaint.

Fr McNamara told the congregation at Mass in Moyvane this weekend that while the case was lost, he was delighted that the Authority found that Ryan Tubridy misjudged the offence likely to have been caused and suggested that he might have shown greater sensitivity.

“I am delighted now that the case is closed and also I am looking forward to RTand, in particular, its presenters taking on board what the BAI has suggested,” Fr McNamara said.

“I feel, as a result of this deliberation, the Catholic faith and indeed all faiths will be more respected in RTprogrammes from here on,” he added.

Can anyone explain why faiths should be more respected? We are not obliged to respect political parties or sports clubs or or anything else that people get passionately involved with. As a general rule they are treated with normal courtesy but they do not demand respect.

Can anyone explain why faiths should be more respected?
    There's a social convention in place which demands that people try to avoid criticizing/joking about each other's religion, as religion is often understood to be part of somebody's identity, an understanding which the religions frequently encourage - eg, people say that "I'm catholic" rather than "I hold catholic beliefs" or "I believe the catholic religion".

This blurring of belief and identity encourages the common, and sometimes intentional, miscomprehension that criticism of/joking about the religion is the same as criticism of/joking about the person who believes that religion. And consequently, encourages the expectation that religion should not be criticized or joked about.

Also, some religious believers believe that criticism of or joking about their religion might bring down the endless wrath of their (boundlessly loving) deity - and who would want that?

Priest claims to have ‘won the war’ in ‘haunted bread’ row
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/priest-claims-to-have-won-the-war-in-haunted-bread-row-1.3179224

in the same way they've been winning the hearts of the irish people over the last few decades, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    Fr Kevin McNamara says that he lost the battle, but won the war

As he looks out each week on his ageing shrinking congregation, I'm sure that'll be a great source of comfort to him

But if you're into the old self-delusion, you might as well 'go large'

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement