Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about haunted bread on Late Late Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Wow, that's quite a thread. Explains a lot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

pauldla wrote: »
    Wow, that's quite a thread.
    Lordy, lordy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

have to say i love this phrase will be using it in the future hahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Still find it pathetic that no marks looking for 5 minutes of fame have to resort to slagging off roman catholics and their beliefs to get it.

Still find it pathetic that no marks looking for 5 minutes of fame have to resort to slagging off roman catholics and their beliefs to get it.

Was a great line to be fair though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

have you never slagged anyone for their beliefs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭Allinall

have to say i love this phrase will be using it in the future hahahaha

What phrase have you been using up to now ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

I see it as progress that there was little to no hubbub about it. Remember Tommy Tiernan on the Late Late in the 90s?

I take the South Park viewpoint that everyone and everything is fair game for humour. It's all OK or none of it is. Yes, atheism too, but religions are not and should not be exempt. There is no reason for them to be. Oh, and the 'haunted bread' quip made this poster laugh.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    What phrase have you been using up to now ?

Usually just wafer , as in if asked "no i don't partake in the wafer" , haunted bread trumps that hands down.

Really only ever come up at funeral and weddings though maybe the odd christening , if i go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Other variations included "half-time biscuits" and "holy crackers" (and vice-versa) which did the rounds a while ago and without - so far as I'm aware - so much as a single one of our religious friends clutching their chests and tipping into their porridge face-first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

I'll just leave this here.

1500-years-ago.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Better then burning people at the stake any day of the week,

No religious idea should be above satire, we don't live in 1950's Ireland anymore thankfully.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Robineen wrote: »
    I see it as progress that there was little to no hubbub about it. Remember Tommy Tiernan on the Late Late in the 90s?

People were still watching the Late Late in the late 1990s. Who's watching it now? Even if they were watching,
    most average practising Catholics are used to desperate z list celebrities and one hit wonders trying to be shocking edgy and cool by disrespecting the Church.
    I mean if you have to appear on Tubridy with a plastic bag stuck to your face and your still trading of a novelty song that was a smutty little ditty you had a hit with years ago....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This make believe outrage is actually hilarious,

Father Ted does miles more mocking of the Catholic Church then anything on the latelate show last week. Why aren't complaints being lodged about that on a weekly basis?

Anyone outraged clearly has been living under a rock for 20 years.

In the meantime Father Ted remains comedy gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

There's nothing "edgy" about pointing out the ridiculousness of religious belief in transubstantiation. The church isn't an "edgy" target: people trying to paint rational human beings as seeking attention by simply pointing out absurdity is the true edgy. Trying desperately to spin for the church in this way is trying to appear different and radical. The root of the church's problems are in fact the root of itself: it's utterly nonsensical dogmas and "revelations". The tide has gone out on mumbo jumbo. It's not coming back.

infogiver wrote: »
    People were still watching the Late Late in the late 1990s. Who's watching it now? Even if they were watching,
    most average practising Catholics are used to desperate z list celebrities and one hit wonders trying to be shocking edgy and cool by disrespecting the Church.
    I mean if you have to appear on Tubridy with a plastic bag stuck to your face and your still trading of a novelty song that was a smutty little ditty you had a hit with years ago....

Watching something was never an impediment to complaining about it as "moral crusader" Mary Whitehouse ably demonstrated in the UK.

Cabaal wrote: »
    This make believe outrage is actually hilarious,

Father Ted does miles more mocking of the Catholic Church then anything on the latelate show last week. Why aren't complaints being lodged about that on a weekly basis?

Anyone outraged clearly has been living under a rock for 20 years.

In the meantime Father Ted remains comedy gold.

In fairness, Ted has a different tone. Graham Linehan has said on the commentary that he was going for affection and, despite being atheist, irreverence was not his or Arthur Mathew's goal. And that comes across, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

In fairness, Ted has a different tone. Graham Linehan has said on the commentary that he was going for affection and, despite being atheist, irreverence was not his or Arthur Mathew's goal. And that comes across, IMO.

And as they noted at the time, if they did go for a 'harsher' tone-the audience would not be there.
    IT had to appeal to a broad range of people and actors. The late Frank Kelly, Father Jack, was very much a strong believer in his Catholic faith.
    And Kelly was just, essentially, a casual believer, not the deranged 'Believe in this or I'll set you on fire' fanatic that we so often get scolded by-nobody is a good enough believer for them.
    So if they had 'attacked' the extreme believer-which Ireland, and many other countries, have seen far too many of-they would have put off the casual believer. The 'Live and Let Liver's' folks.

It's sort of the challenge of doing anything satirical-too harsh and it's 'far too mean', too soft and its 'cowardice'.

• Advertisement

I don't think the outraged Catholics in the 90s who were outraged when it first aired on RTE saw it as anything other then mocking to be fair.

I still know Catholics that find it offensive, but still seeing a lack of complaints about it because they know they'll be laughed out of it.

Also, I go back to my earlier reference to life of Brian, previously banned in Catholic Ireland for around 8 years. Yet to look at it now it's really no different to father Ted.

I don't think the outraged Catholics in the 90s who were outraged when it first aired on RTE saw it as anything other then mocking to be fair.

I still know Catholics that find it offensive, but still seeing a lack of complaints about it because they know they'll be laughed out of it.

Also, I go back to my earlier reference to life of Brian, previously banned in Catholic Ireland for around 8 years. Yet to look at it now it's really no different to father Ted.

I have no recollection of there being much outrage at Ted. I think I'd remember if there was, I still remember the Tommy Tiernan furore from the same time period. I don't think it comes across at mocking at all, it's essentially a good-natured show.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Tommy Tiernan was mocking Christianity what, ten years ago, when the Church was much more powerful than it is today. It's such an easy, safe target to mock. I want to see comedians target homosexuals, transgenders or refugees. They are the ones who have the power now.

Bernard Manning, Roy Chubby Brown and Jim Davidson were doing that in the 70s. It wasn't very funny then.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I don think the dope who talks crap with a plastic bag tied round his head deserves the title comedian. As your posters are calling him. They were over in uk last year and people thought they were pathetic.

Is that why they've had shows on ITV, CH4 and MTV?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I have no recollection of there being much outrage at Ted. I think I'd remember if there was,

I remember there was certainly a number of comments made by the church at the time against Father Ted, it sticks in my memory as even my dad commented on how the church couldn't even laugh at themselves at the time.

I notice you're completing ignoring how Life Of Brian was banned in Ireland, oh and so was The Meaning of Life. Both used satire in relation to core christian/catholic beliefs and they pissed off the religious orders in Ireland and other countrys.

Life Of Brian was released in 1979 but was banned until 1987 at which time they released it as a 18 rating knowing this would limit its viewing. A laughable rating I think we can all agree. (it was later dropped to 15)

Meaning Of Life was released in 1983 but banned until 1990, Ireland had moved on a little in those three years so that got a 15's rating instead.

Neither of which should have been banned in Ireland in the first place,

Tommy Tiernan was mocking Christianity what, ten years ago, when the Church was much more powerful than it is today. It's such an easy, safe target to mock. I want to see comedians target homosexuals, transgenders or refugees. They are the ones who have the power now.

To be fair frostyjacks, you read nazi linked websites so what you want to read or watch is likely very out of touch with the average Joe on the street so what you want to watch doesn't have any demand...except in the small close minded circles you seem to include yourself in.

The avg joe on the street doesn't find mocking somebody's sexuality very amusing, in fact we know from people's voting patterns in Ireland that the majority in Ireland have zero issue with somebody's sexuality and they want to give gay people more rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

I have no recollection of there being much outrage at Ted. I think I'd remember if there was, I still remember the Tommy Tiernan furore from the same time period. I don't think it comes across at mocking at all, it's essentially a good-natured show.

The only time I remember outrage at Ted was about the Nazi/racism theme in the episode with the Chinese.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

The avg joe on the street doesn't find mocking Catholicism very amusing, in fact we know from people's voting patterns in Ireland that the majority in Ireland have zero issue with Catholicism and they want to give religious people more rights.

To be fair frostyjacks, you read nazi linked websites so what you want to read or watch is likely very out of touch with the average Joe on the street so what you want to watch doesn't have any demand...except in the small close minded circles you seem to include yourself in.

The avg joe on the street doesn't find mocking somebody's sexuality very amusing, in fact we know from people's voting patterns in Ireland that the majority in Ireland have zero issue with somebody's sexuality and they want to give gay people more rights.

Comedy isn't as funny- and is more likely mean spirited- when it's "punching down". Despite what Frostyjacks thinks, LGBT people and especially refugees, don't have much power in our society.

People like Graham Norton do make light of their own sexuality and the biggest alleged comedy show on Irish and British TV features a man in a dress so.....

• Advertisement

Did you see that "Mass" event on Facebook late last year? Haunted bread was very very mild compared to some of the gags posted there. And there were thousands of Irish people posting, liking and commenting.

You can't possibly argue the church still commands respect among the vast majority of Irish people, especially under 30s.

Advertisement