Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about haunted bread on Late Late Show

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

I have a problem with dope with bag on his head constantly mocking rc religion. You have quoted that frosty has a problem with gays. Are we not entitled to our opinions and beliefs anymore in new pc brigade ireland?

Of course you're entitled to your opinions. You're also entitled to be wrong. However, quite why you (and frostyjacks) choose to voice those opinions in this particular forum is puzzling. Exactly what response did you expect to get by complaining about a comedian mocking religion in the A&A forum? We get that you're offended. So what? Do you think that you have an entitlement not to be offended?

My beliefs and poster frostys beliefs are also a large number of irish populations beliefs as well. Check the rc churches at Xmas easter confirmations and communions. And re poster frosty....the referendum on gay marriage was not carried 100%.far from it.

How large exactly a number exactly? You see you were careful to only mention Easter, confirmations and communions. What about the rest of the year? How many people go then? It's not surprising that there are more people in the churches for communions and confirmations. Since the church controls 92% of primary schools using baptism as a barrier to entry and with faith formation built into the school day it should be unsurprising that the churches are fuller for communions and confirmations.
    If the churches were full on an ordinary Sunday, that might support your argument but they're not. As it turns out mass attendances keep falling. In the Dublin Archdiocese mass attendance averages approximately 20% and is falling on average 3.7% every year which will result in a one-third drop in attendance by 2030. This is matched by a 70% drop in priest numbers. So just how many people really share your beliefs?

The breakdown of the marriage referendum results were as follows:

Total registered voters - 3,221,681
    Total valid poll - 1,949,725 (60.52%)
    YES - 1,201,607 (62.07%)
    NO - 734,300 (37.93%)

So you say it wasn't 100% but unless you're using a different system of maths to everyone else 62.07% is bigger than 37.93% and is a majority. So your reference to frostyjack's claim about his views (and yours) aligning with the average joe is, frankly, bullsh1t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Donkeykong let's break it down in really simple terms.

You choose your religion. Therefore it is not something instrincally YOU. Faith is complex and shaped by the family you grew up in, the society you're born to. So if you were born in the UK you might be well defending the CoE, if you were Pakistani you'd be defending Islam etc. A bit like social class, you are given one and you can arguably move away from it as you go through life.
    And no it's not cool to mock someone' because they believe xyz but anyone is entitled to mock xyz because it's daft.
    However you don't choose to be gay, and that's why gay people are no longer considered fair game for comedy. I mean why would anyone voluntarily choose to be a way which still makes life extra difficult, even today, and up until 20 years ago was illegal and could get you beaten to death in dodgy Dublin parks.

It's also really lazy humour, essentially pointing at someone else and going "huck huck he's funny lookin". Presumably you don't kick back and throw on the Black and White Minstrel show of an evening?

I also think you have the Panti case completely arseways. Panti got nothing. The Iona Institute, an organisation you are presumably in agreement with, got an undisclosed sum. https://medium.com/chrissy-curtin/pantigate-an-illustrated-timeline-dafef882b0be

I imagine that's what this crowd are aiming for too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

oldrnwisr wrote:
    Of course you're entitled to your opinions. You're also entitled to be wrong. However, quite why you (and frostyjacks) choose to voice those opinions in this particular forum is puzzling. Exactly what response did you expect to get by complaining about a comedian mocking religion in the A&A forum? We get that you're offended. So what? Do you think that you have an entitlement not to be offended?

Sounds like you have a nice moral compass there.
    I thought when people get older and wiser they mellow out lol
    This post is utter drivel....
    Are you offended now lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

My beliefs and poster frostys beliefs are also a large number of irish populations beliefs as well. Check the rc churches at Xmas easter confirmations and communions. And re poster frosty....the referendum on gay marriage was not carried 100%.far from it.

Can we apply that logic to the 8th Amendment too? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭oldrnwisr

Sounds like you have a nice moral compass there.
    I thought when people get older and wiser they mellow out lol
    This post is utter drivel....
    Are you offended now lol

So a poster comes into the thread to defend his entitlement to have a problem with gay people and defend another poster who has written about his admiration for a neo-nazi propaganda website and yet I'm the one with the screwed-up moral compass? Really?

Oh and no I'm not offended. I don't tend to take personal offense. Especially not on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Advbrd wrote: »
    I thought it was a secret ballot.
    Eh... you do know god was watching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

ivytwine wrote: »
    Did you see that "Mass" event on Facebook late last year? Haunted bread was very very mild compared to some of the gags posted there. And there were thousands of Irish people posting, liking and commenting.

You can't possibly argue the church still commands respect among the vast majority of Irish people, especially under 30s.

Oh yeah, and many of those posting on the board were believers themselves. I was one of them, tbh.

Some of the jokes were, I feel, a little mean spirited-but as Volatire said, I may not agree with what you say, but I'll fight for your right to say it. And again, another believer would be like 'nah man, that was hilarious'. It's just my personal tastes, nothing more.

I have family who were involved in religion, and many of them are disappointed with their choice. Especially seeing how the church went through scandal after scandal, and went so far away from the message of Jesus and the apostles... As Gandhi said, I admire your Christ, not your Christians. (They chose to go into the church, btw-compared to their contemporaries, many of whom were forced into it by their parents, my grandparents had made plans for them-but it involved marriage, farming, and just mainstream stuff. Not the priesthood, nunnery.)

Funnily enough, Tiernan gets a lot of slack for mocking religion and other things-yet he's openly spiritual. Has a Tattoo of Mary on his shoulder. As well as a few other religious iconography. That's why I don't understand when folks say 'oh, religions totally off topic-don't make fun of it'...well, no. Make as much jokes as you like. I would argue we need to make more jokes about religion. As Adam Hill notes, God can take a joke, and may be a little bit gay-for example, Flamingos. (He does a great routine about Gay Priests).

There were many Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, and non-believers who voted for the marriage referendum. Despite what BoB and others would have you believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Robineen wrote: »
    I have no recollection of there being much outrage at Ted.

Some people certainly said they were outraged at it, there were complaints and letters to the newspapers. But RTE could see how popular it was and figured there'd be a much larger outrage if they took it off.

They were a year late putting it on screen though. Channel4 offered them rights, they turned it down and showed The Thin Blue Line instead (and nobody could really claim that decision was made on merit.)

The viewing figures in Ireland were so high (even though access to UK channels was less than it is today) that RTE were more or less obliged to show it.

Linehan and Mathews didn't even bother pitching the show to RTE, they knew RTE would never have dared to commission it. But when an Irish show by Irish writers, set in Ireland, with an Irish cast, Irish crew, and (partly) filmed in Ireland, was such a raging success on a UK channel they couldn't but get belatedly behind it.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the outrage i remember about father ted was more to do with an 'the irish shouldn't portray themselves as fools to the brits' sort of outrage, rather than anything to do with a religious aspect.
    interestingly, this was mainly from my parents generation, and mainly from people who'd lived in the UK in the 60s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

Cabaal wrote: »
    I notice you're completing ignoring how Life Of Brian was banned in Ireland, oh and so was The Meaning of Life. Both used satire in relation to core christian/catholic beliefs and they pissed off the religious orders in Ireland and other countrys.

Don't be so precious, I'm not ignoring it! I'm very much for anyone and anything being fair game for humour. Pick your battles!

• Advertisement

the outrage i remember about father ted was more to do with an 'the irish shouldn't portray themselves as fools to the brits' sort of outrage, rather than anything to do with a religious aspect.
    interestingly, this was mainly from my parents generation, and mainly from people who'd lived in the UK in the 60s.

I'd forgotten that actually but you're right. If I remember rightly there was a lot of annoyance in the Irish Post etc, before it was actually broadcast.

My parents would have had friends in England who wouldn't have watched it for that reason.

oldrnwisr wrote:
    Oh and no I'm not offended. I don't tend to take personal offense. Especially not on the internet.

Well done,you don't really care if you offend anyone yourself.

So you're just as bad really sir.

You're a regular here I'm not,so there will be more people thinking similarly to your good self.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander...

Honk honk

I was at my in-laws for Christmas and went to midnight Mass with them. The main church in one of the largest Galway towns. It was about 40% full. One of the biggest dates in the Catholic calender in the main church in a large town, not even half full. LOL.

However you don't choose to be gay, and that's why gay people are no longer considered fair game for comedy.

Much as I hate homophobia, I totally disagree with this! Once one starts marking out no go areas for comedy, that's a dangerous precedent to set. Any subject can be funny if the comedy is up to muster.

oldrnwisr wrote:

I'm all for the likes of Father Ted and Life of Brian,I'm of that generation where people didn't get offended.

It's non offensive to myself as I can see the funny side of it.

I think your post in a way can give one the opinion that the A+A forum is condoning slagging off and mocking people of faith.

Would you be for slagging off or mocking the Faith ? or people of the Faith.

Like I can laugh with a comedian who's being Witty and funny but not laughing at them because they're a comedian and funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

regards confirmations and communions , how many fewer kids do you think would make them if there was no compulsory religious instruction in primary schools ? as in if parents had to actually bring them to mass or they had to go to some Sunday school equivalent to make either ? How many kids do you think just make it for the few quid , they day off and to keep the nanas happy ?Same to baptisms , do you think those number might drop significantly if it was no longer a pre-requisite to get your child a place in the local primary school ?

Christmas mass is a false barometer of actual church attendance or religious belief and even at that my granny gave out sh!te on Christmas day about how few were at midnight mass. like it or not the Church is dying look around , how many Irish people do you see living by its rules , no contraception , no sex before marriage all that jazz, the church is a joke at this stage, its finished, just about all its good for is knocking a few last laughs out of before it fades out of existence all together.

Robineen wrote: »
    Much as I hate homophobia, I totally disagree with this! Once one starts marking out no go areas for comedy, that's a dangerous precedent to set. Any subject can be funny if the comedy is up to muster.

I agree with you- I've probably badly worded it as usual!

I guess what frosty and donkey probably want is a return to the Are You Being Served type of gay character, where the one note joke is that they're gay and have no other depth whatsoever. That doesn't cut the muster anymore because it's laughing at, not with, and plus gay people are more visible so again, people don't find it as funny as they would have in the 70s.

And there are comedians who do make jokes about gay characters: like Catherine Tate with "Our John" and the "me dear gay dear?!" guy. The comedy there is from other people's reactions and their own reactions to being gay.

Sure the Rubberbandits even had a gay character called Larry Starr, who I absolutely loved- but it was a VERY Limerick thing.

Also even David Norris and Panti, the way they speak about themselves is often hilarious.

There's a subtle difference though I think between laughing at and laughing with, and I think that's why people don't really find the old style gay jokes that funny anymore. It's lazy as **** also.

regards confirmations and communions , how many fewer kids do you think would make them if there was no compulsory religious instruction in primary schools ? as in if parents had to actually bring them to mass or they had to go to some Sunday school equivalent to make either ? How many kids do you think just make it for the few quid , they day off and to keep the nanas happy ?Same to baptisms , do you think those number might drop significantly if it was no longer a pre-requisite to get your child a place in the local primary school ?

Christmas mass is a false barometer of actual church attendance or religious belief and even at that my granny gave out sh!te on Christmas day about how few were at midnight mass. like it or not the Church is dying look around , how many Irish people do you see living by its rules , no contraception , no sex before marriage all that jazz, the church is a joke at this stage, its finished, just about all its good for is knocking a few last laughs out of before it fades out of existence all together.

I remember one colleague of mine giving out about having to attend mass for her sons communion. If parents were made do sacramental prep on their own time, the rates would plummet.

I remember one colleague of mine giving out about having to attend mass for her sons communion. If parents were made do sacramental prep on their own time, the rates would plummet.

Too right , i remember when i was making communion we had to do first confession or whatever , our year was the first year that it had to be done during school time because the previous couple of years so may of the parents complained about having to bring kids to either a mass in the evening or the weekend for it.

I've never actually been to mass for the fcuk of it, id say most of the lads i know are the same you end up in churches for weddings , funerals , christenings that sort of thing , but Sunday mornings are for lie in's ,walks of shame and nursing hangovers not playing Simon says with a priest for 40 minutes hahahaha

To be honest i could probably count on 1 hand the number of people i have known in school , work or college who had any sort of catholic faith, far from a majority its a rarity nowadays in anyone under 50. 8 weddings in our department in the last 2 years mine will be number 9 only 1 was a church wedding.

Too right , i remember when i was making communion we had to do first confession or whatever , our year was the first year that it had to be done during school time because the previous couple of years so may of the parents complained about having to bring kids to either a mass in the evening or the weekend for it.

I've never actually been to mass for the fcuk of it, id say most of the lads i know are the same you end up in churches for weddings , funerals , christenings that sort of thing , but Sunday mornings are for lie in's ,walks of shame and nursing hangovers not playing Simon says with a priest for 40 minutes hahahaha

To be honest i could probably count on 1 hand the number of people i have known in school , work or college who had any sort of catholic faith, far from a majority its a rarity nowadays in anyone under 50. 8 weddings in our department in the last 2 years mine will be number 9 only 1 was a church wedding.

Being from rural Ireland and working in Dublin and being of the age where people start to pair off 😩 I notice it too. People at home do tend to get married in a church, but almost all the Dubs I know have gone for the civil option.

I was surprised at Christmas actually- my one a year bar weddings/funerals- how empty the church was. Seemed to have gone down from 2015 even.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

My issue isn't so much that Christianity is being mocked; it's had to endure much worse over the centuries and also I'm a believer in free speech. It's that other subjects don't get the same treatment.

Look at the satirical show on Michael Jackson that got pulled the other day. Either we can mock everything or we mock nothing.

Being from rural Ireland and working in Dublin and being of the age where people start to pair off 😩 I notice it too. People at home do tend to get married in a church, but almost all the Dubs I know have gone for the civil option.

I was surprised at Christmas actually- my one a year bar weddings/funerals- how empty the church was. Seemed to have gone down from 2015 even.

Honestly i have never even been at Christmas , my folks have 0 interest we were only baptized etc to keep the peace with the nanas a problem we thankfully wont have when we have kids.

When we went to book a humanist celebrant it was an 18 month waiting list because there in such demand in greater Dublin at this stage. the one wedding in the office that as in a church was a girl from the country tbf whose great uncle was a priest and did the mass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I have a problem with dope with bag on his head constantly mocking rc religion.

I find it funny you're calling this guy a "dope". Bag on his head or not, blindboy has got to be one of the most well articulated people I've ever heard speak. Almost everything he says when talking about serious topics is incredibly well thought out and insightful. He's quite likely more intelligent than most people in the country - and has regularly made much more sense than the people who run this country.

If he's mocking something - he's doing it for a reason, where things initially make you laugh, and then critically think and analyse something.

If anything the "dopes" are the ones who blindly believe in fúcking haunted bread and question nothing they're told.

My issue isn't so much that Christianity is being mocked; it's had to endure much worse over the centuries and also I'm a believer in free speech. It's that other subjects don't get the same treatment.

Look at the satirical show on Michael Jackson that got pulled the other day. Either we can mock everything or we mock nothing.

fully agree everything should be fair game comedians , i'm no fan of the PC liberal agenda either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Become a comedian so. No one is stopping you. That's what free speech means, not forcing comedians to mock every subject equally, but allowing them to mock any subject they want.

You've never seen Bo Selecta? It was **** but it mocked Micheal Jackson.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Become a comedian so. No one is stopping you. That's what free speech means, not forcing comedians to mock every subject equally, but allowing them to mock any subject they want.

You've never seen Bo Selecta? It was **** but it mocked Micheal Jackson.

never mind South Parks Mr.Jefferson

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's clearly an audience for this thats why it happens, comedian's focus on stuff people know about. As the vast majority of people went through a catholic education system they get catholic jokes but they can also laugh at the jokes because they don't take the religion too seriously...including those that call themself catholics :)

You are free to become some sort of neo nazi comedian if you want, but don't expect many people to show up to your shows.

they're not as funny.

seriously though, can you not see the factors involved? other religions don't get mocked in the same way here precisely because catholicism is still by far the most popular religion.
    and what is it about being gay that can be mocked in the same way as a belief that committing ritual cannibalism is a virtuous act?

Would you be for slagging off or mocking the Faith ? or people of the Faith.
    from what i can remember, blindboy did not mock the faithful, but he mocked the faith.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sounds like you have a nice moral compass there. I thought when people get older and wiser they mellow out lol This post is utter drivel.... Are you offended now lol
    Not sure that anybody's offended, but you're now the proud new owner of a yellow card for fully intentional incivility.

Advertisement