Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complaint about haunted bread on Late Late Show

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Brian? wrote: »
    Become a comedian so. No one is stopping you. That's what free speech means, not forcing comedians to mock every subject equally, but allowing them to mock any subject they want.

You've never seen Bo Selecta? It was **** but it mocked Micheal Jackson.

That Michael Jackson programme got pulled after a request from his daughter, not general outrage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

they're not as funny.

seriously though, can you not see the factors involved? other religions don't get mocked in the same way here precisely because catholicism is still by far the most popular religion.

Spot on,
    That clip with Dara explained it best.

You could try crack Muslim jokes and go on about Gold Horses coming over hills and all sorts but the avg joe knows very little about the Muslim faith and just wouldn't get the jokes and would know if what you were joking about was a thing or not :pac:

People find Catholic jokes funny because we were all educated about the religion and we can see the sillyness in most of the stuff, thats why Father Ted is comedy gold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, the argument that we tell jokes about catholics but not gays is a false dichotomy. do we tell jokes specifically about straight people but not gay people? if not, there's no issue.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Cabaal wrote: »
    People find Catholic jokes funny because we were all educated about the religion and we can see the sillyness in most of the stuff, thats why Father Ted is comedy gold.
    When I was in Iran a few years back, I mentioned Fr Ted and the folks I was with were able to identify with it - they said that there's a similar tradition within Iran of lecherous, boorish clerics interested in little more than themselves and their bellies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Blind boy also loves the new age spirituality movement 😀

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

robindch wrote:
    Not sure that anybody's offended, but you're now the proud new owner of a yellow card for fully intentional incivility.

Thanks Robin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

ivytwine wrote: »
    That Michael Jackson programme got pulled after a request from his daughter, not general outrage.

There was a petition with over 20,000 signatures to ban the show. Nobody had even seen it but they deemed it to be offensive.

One rule for some, another rule for others?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Robineen wrote: »
    My beliefs and poster frostys beliefs are also a large number of irish populations beliefs as well. Check the rc churches at Xmas easter confirmations and communions. And re poster frosty....the referendum on gay marriage was not carried 100%.far from it.

I was at my in-laws for Christmas and went to midnight Mass with them. The main church in one of the largest Galway towns. It was about 40% full. One of the biggest dates in the Catholic calender in the main church in a large town, not even half full. LOL.
    Was that the 5.o'clock.mass for children. Or the 9.o'clock mass or the actual 12.00pm mass. There are 3 masses in most parishes on christmas eve as you well know. To cater for the large number of people. Plus the masses on christmas day itself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ironically,
    If you take religion out of schools and people know less about the catholic faith then the Catholic religion would become less of a target for comedians because after a few decades people wouldn't get the jokes anymore :pac:

Thats clearly the solution :D

There was a petition with over 20,000 signatures to ban the show. Nobody had even seen it but they deemed it to be offensive.

There's petitions for all sorts of stuff, petitions mean very little most of the time and nothing happens from them.

What stopped the show was his family being upset by it:
    Sky have pulled the broadcast of an episode of their satirical series Urban Myths after Michael Jackson’s children said they were sickened and offended by the portrayal of their father, played by Joseph Fiennes.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/13/sky-pulls-broadcast-of-show-that-cast-white-actor-as-michael-jackson-joseph-fiennes-urban-myths
    One rule for some, another rule for others?

Of course your logic is flawed because making fun of a dead person and making fun of an "idea" are not comparable.

Michael Jackson was a person, he has family still alive and they as people deserve some respect.

Religion however is an idea, its not a person and such it cannot be compared the same. No political idea or religion should be above satire...after all its just an idea that exists in our heads.

We do not have any biological link to it like Michael Jackson's family would have had to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Bag on his head or not, blindboy has got to be one of the most well articulated people I've ever heard speak. Almost everything he says when talking about serious topics is incredibly well thought out and insightful. He's quite likely more intelligent than most people in the country - and has regularly made much more sense than the people who run this country.

I've got to say I just really don't find the Rubberbandits funny at all. I've tried watching their comedy but I just find it boring as opposed to funny. And something about two well-off, well educated, successful men emulating people who never had a whiff of the chances in life that they have just really doesn't sit right with me and leaves me feeling really uncomfortable about a lot of their humour.

That said, there is no denying that they are two intelligent men and some of the things they say, Blindboy in particular, are very well thought out and they make some very sharp, intelligent social commentary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Cabaal wrote: »
    There's petitions for all sorts of stuff, petitions mean very little most of the time and nothing happens from them.

What stopped the show was his family being upset by it:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jan/13/sky-pulls-broadcast-of-show-that-cast-white-actor-as-michael-jackson-joseph-fiennes-urban-myths

Of course your logic is flawed because making fun of a dead person and making fun of an "idea" are not comparable.

Michael Jackson was a person, he has family still alive and they as people deserve some respect.

Religion however is an idea, its not a person and such it cannot be compared the same. No political idea or religion should be above satire...after all its just an idea that exists in our heads.

We do not have any biological link to it like Michael Jackson's family would have had to him.

OK, so there are different rules then.

BTW, as a Caucasian, I have a closer biological link to Jackson's kids than he does.

Was that the 5.o'clock.mass for children. Or the 9.o'clock mass or the actual 12.00pm mass. There are 3 masses in most parishes on christmas eve as you well know. To cater for the large number of people. Plus the masses on christmas day itself.

Look its very simple, you need to stop trying to defend something you simply can't defend.

The Catholic Church's own figures show that mass attendance has dropped through the floor since the 70's. It's gone from 91% in 1973 to 30% based on the latest figures in 2011 (country wide avg figures).

Daily mass attendance is 3% for Catholics.

In Dublin which has the highest population in the country priests are expected to drop by 60% in the next 15 years as priests retire and nobody exists to replace them.

Mass attendance in Dublin itself is currently between 20-22%.

You only have to look at most towns and villages across Ireland and anybody can see the church is in trouble. Take my local parish.

Back in the 1980's it had 2x church's (1x was run by Friars) within the town and a further 2x church's within 3miles of the town. It had 3 priests who looked after 3x church's and the Friars looked after the remaining church.

Now it has 1x church in the town as the Friar's had nobody to run the church anymore and nobody was hardly using it anymore and while the other 2x church's still remain in more rural area's outside the town only has 1x priest and he has to cover all the church's for mass services. Mass services have been massively limited in the church's because of this. When masses do occur the buildings are very far from full and most people attending are 60+.

People have turned away from the Catholic Church in droves and the church only has itself to blame. In recent years the years with the biggest decline were 2009 (decline of 6.4%) and 2011 (decline of 7.4%).

Incidentally these were the same years the Ryan, Murphy and Cloyne reports were published and the horrors carried out by the church became very well known to the general public.

Back in 2011 I was in a church for mass and during that mass the priest started talking about the reports, during one part of this talk he mentioned how people should have prayed more to god for these horrors not to happen. A number of people walked out of the mass during the priests talk.

The church in Ireland is in free fall in Ireland and I'd expect to see mass numbers down to atleast 20% countrywide by 2025-2030. In Dublin they'll likely drop down to 10%.

Having a large number of people showing up for 1 or 2 days a year is shag all good to the church, it also most certainly doesn't mean that all these people share the views of the church. Hell, even most "Catholics" think the church's stance on condom use is from the darkages at this point. Even priests at this stage are seeing this view as backwards and its costing lives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

At the Catholic church where I live there are three priests, one of whom is well into his 80s and should have retired long ago. They cover a huge area with numerous churches, and the current situtation is that funerals have to take place to coincide with a mass as they do not have enough people to conduct separate funeral masses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

In this large town, there was two Christmas Eve masses, a children's nativity mass and a midnight mass. I was at the midnight mass. The main mass. Not even a half full church at the main Christmas Eve mass in a large town. There wasn't a large amount of people to be catered for, evidently. In a town of its size, both those masses would have been packed out 20 years ago and probably a few more laid on. But sure, look, be in denial all you like, no skin off my nose. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

In this large town, there was two Christmas Eve masses, a children's nativity mass and a midnight mass. I was at the midnight mass. The main mass. Not even a half full church at the main Christmas Eve mass in a large town. There wasn't a large amount of people to be catered for, evidently. In a town of its size, both those masses would have been packed out 20 years ago and probably a few more laid on. But sure, look, be in denial all you like, no skin off my nose. :cool:

the 2 parish's in the are of North Dublin where i'm from no longer do an actual 12pm mass that stopped about 5 years ago due to poor attendance and lack of priests i only know because my grandparets give out stink about it evry year and in the last two years only 1 church does a kids mass again due to attendanc e and numbers.

So there were 3 masses between 2 churchs this year in a fairly well populated area, one of Dublins larger suburbs 1 kids mass at 6 in 1 church and 2 at 10 and according to my granda their church was well under half full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

iguana wrote: »
    Bag on his head or not, blindboy has got to be one of the most well articulated people I've ever heard speak. Almost everything he says when talking about serious topics is incredibly well thought out and insightful. He's quite likely more intelligent than most people in the country - and has regularly made much more sense than the people who run this country.

I've got to say I just really don't find the Rubberbandits funny at all. I've tried watching their comedy but I just find it boring as opposed to funny. And something about two well-off, well educated, successful men emulating people who never had a whiff of the chances in life that they have just really doesn't sit right with me and leaves me feeling really uncomfortable about a lot of their humour.

That said, there is no denying that they are two intelligent men and some of the things they say, Blindboy in particular, are very well thought out and they make some very sharp, intelligent social commentary.
    Great you can understand a moran muffling through a plastic bag strapped across his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

....... wrote: »

My granny keeps me well informed i think she's still hoping me and my mam and all will start going if she just complains enough about people not going .

• Advertisement

Amazing reading all the statistics re how many people attend mass weekly and on special occasions. For such an anti catholic website I wonder why you are all so concerned about the attendence figures. Just so you know there is a church in whitefriar street. Dublin 8. Maybe venture in any Saturday at 3pm. You will be astonished at the number of people that are in there for mass. And also to even upset you more after the mass is over random selection of people say the rosary as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

Wow, if that church is doing so well, then other churches must have no patrons at all if the Dublin stats are to make sense. ;)

Amazing reading all the statistics re how many people attend mass weekly and on special occasions. For such an anti catholic website I wonder why you are all so concerned about the attendence figures.

I'm not "anti-catholic" in relation to people having a faith, if a faith works for somebody and it gets them through life then thats fine and if it works for them thats great.

I'm against the church as an organization for how it has tries/continous to restrict the rights and freedoms of women, friends and children for many decades.

As for knowing stuff about them, it helps to know about an organization that try's to restrict your rights and freedoms, your friends rights and freedoms and that of 4 year olds ;)

Knowing about a fall in Church numbers means that when people like yourself try and claim lots of people go to mass myself and others can prove you wrong by using the catholic church's own data :D

Just so you know there is a church in whitefriar street. Dublin 8. Maybe venture in any Saturday at 3pm. You will be astonished at the number of people that are in there for mass. And also to even upset you more after the mass is over random selection of people say the rosary as well.

So one church perhaps might have some people attending it more then another, cool if it works for people in the area. But this doesn't change the fact that Dublin mass attendance is at an all time low for the church.

By the fact remains that overall the church is in crisis and the Catholic Church in Ireland is even telling the Vatican this.

Wow, if that church is doing so well, then other churches must have no patrons at all if the Dublin stats are to make sense. ;)
    Pop down at 3pm. You may even enjoy it. !

Pop down at 3pm. You may even enjoy it. !

I'd suggest the same about your local Jewish, Muslim, Mormon or Protestant place of worship. You never know you might enjoy it :)
    If you wanted a non-religious discussion however there's always an Atheist Ireland meeting too,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,892 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another nail gets hammered into the Church's coffin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38685157

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

BTW, as a Caucasian, I have a closer biological link to Jackson's kids than he does.

not sure if serious...

Just so you know there is a church in whitefriar street. Dublin 8. Maybe venture in any Saturday at 3pm. You will be astonished at the number of people that are in there for mass.
    I had a lovely slap up Christmas dinner last month, which just proves there's no such thing as world hunger.

I had a lovely slap up Christmas dinner last month, which just proves there's no such thing as world hunger.

I went through a small village lately and it was seriously clean, place was utterly spotless and everything painted nicely. All small villages must be the exact same :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Advertisement