Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stringify now works with IFTTT, GHome and Alexa

Options
  • 12-01-2017 7:37pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Stringify is another app for iOS and Android similar to Yonomi and IFTTT.

It allows you to string multiple actions together based on one command.

Well the big news is that it has now gained support to be triggered from IFTTT and to call other services supported by IFTTT. This opens up massive possibility.

For instance you can have a command on Google Home that you would say:
    "Hey Google, good night" and this would trigger the IFTTT command good night which would in turn trigger the Stringify routine acalled Good Night which as an example would:

- Turn Bedside lamps on with Hue
    - Turn off all other Hue lights over 60 seconds fade
    - Turn off TV/AV/etc. via Harmony Hub
    - Turn off the Heating (via Netatmo Thermostat via IFTTT)
    - Arm security system (Scout Alarm via IFTTT)

This is fantastic news and adds incredible power and flexibility. It is similar to Yonomi but adds two important features:

1) It can be triggered by an IFTTT command, thus it works with Google Home *
    Yonomi doesn't currently work with either.

2) It can make use of any device or service that has IFTTT integration. Yonomi doesn't have this, it only works with services it directly support, thus in the above example it wouldn't work with either Netatmo Theromstat or Scout Alarm as they aren't supported by it, only IFTTT.

* Note There is a Stringifiy Skill for Alexa, so you can bypass the IFTTT step.

I assume in time Yonomi will also gain the same IFTTT ability and that both Stringify and Yonomi will gain native support on Ghome, thus eliminating the IFTTT step and that they will both also natively support more services in time.

But this IFTTT support is a nice way for these very young services to quickly gain at least basic support for many devices and services almost for free.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I was going to pop that up too.

I noticed it supports the wink hub, I signed up for a wink account even though I don't have the hub, this gave me some additional IFTTT functionality and it worked.

I'm testing stringify ATM,

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »
    I was going to pop that up too.

I noticed it supports the wink hub, I signed up for a wink account even though I don't have the hub, this gave me some additional IFTTT functionality and it worked.

I'm testing stringify ATM,

Cool, let us know how it goes, I'm away at the moment, so I can't try it.

Also can you try the Canary Wink integration in IFTTT? I don't think it works, I think it requires the hub, but worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Think there's a bug in my app. Can't connect things in a flow. Android phone

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

Been really getting into the swing of Stringify recently and I love it.

Latest set up is sound detected night lights. In the absence of any motion detector and an always active cat at night I have decided to use the sound detection of the nest cam to trigger my lights to come on between 11pm and 6am. So if the bell rings, dog barks or someone gets up between these hours my lights come on at a set brightness and then fade off after x number of minutes.

Screenshot_20170414-105113.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Very cool, might be a handy baby monitor. Might need to get me a Nest Cam.

Caillte, do you need a Nest Cam subscription to do this? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caillte

bk wrote: »
    Very cool, might be a handy baby monitor. Might need to get me a Nest Cam.

Caillte, do you need a Nest Cam subscription to do this? Thanks

I don't have a subscription but get notifications as normal. No recorded video.

Advertisement