Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Service not delivered

Options
  • 12-01-2017 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi a couple of weeks ago I brought a car body kit to a guy to be finished in a carbon fibre effect wrap. Went down to his premises got a quote and told me would only take 3 to 4 days to do the job. Was happy with price and length of time it would take. However he had parts for couple of weeks he said he had to redo work done on parts as he wasn't happy with the finish and said he was really fussy so wanted them right. So didn't mind the delay as they were going on a car that is brought to car shows.

So when finally got the call to collect parts was only given a quick glimpse at the parts in very badly lit room had light darker than normal and red lights on so very hard to see and was too dark outside to see. And guy rushing to wrap couldn't see anything properly. But told me if not happy when got home to ring him no problem. So I wrote cheque for amount agreed and went home.

When I brought in parts to house was horrified by the finished. There was no consistency with the tint finish on wrapping parts were pure black and others had hardly no tint on them. Just to note they were meant to resemble natural carbon fibre so tint was to be used like a sealer. Also one part on the ends had paint so only middle was to be wrapped. This part came back with paint work marked and dented in parts and blade marks were wrapping was cut.

So first thing next morning ring this guy and explain what was wrong. So he said to me that he himself wasn't totally happy with finish and that its normal in body shops etc for paint work to be damaged when being worked on. I've dropped other parts to other body shops before and never damaged coming back. So wasnt accepting this. So he said to send him on pictures and state what's wrong so did. He agreed that things weren't great and that there was inconsistencys with finishes.

At this point he said I didn't realise that you wanted a perfect finish and that if I had of wanted one price would have been more. Now when I contacted this guy first and when went down with parts explained that car would be at shows and wanted them to look brand new. Also to point out the parts were practically brand new when going down just wanted to restore to new look which he promised.

So he said that he wouldn't take payment and I had two options get him to redo and then pay or get someone else to redo them. This guy is about 2 hours drive from me. So I said I'd think about it and that I would put a hold on cheque until issues sorted. So brought parts to another guy who does same thing to see what he thought and he couldn't get over how badly finished they were.

Told me everything would have to be fully stripped primed and redone. So got a price to see what it would cost and to reprint damaged paint work. Went back to original guy and told him what he said. Tried to say wouldn't take much to sort out. Said once he'd repainted they'd be fine but would want more money to do it. So wasn't happy because he did damage and wanted me to pay for it.

So I said I was going to get other guy to do it and would send on pictures to show what was involved etc. so he was happy with that and was agreed that I wouldn't owe him anything as he messed up not one part could be saved and heard nothing after.

So got other guy to redo he had to fully strip parts and do a lot of work to get flat surfaces because job was done so badly. Have pictures to prove all.

Anyhow today got message from first guy that he now wants me to pay for his work that was diabolical. that ended up costing me more money than he originally quoted as had to get extra work done because of his mess. Nothing could be salvaged.

Also to note did get a third guy to look at parts to see what he said and he said totally mess was made of them, also he had redone parts that the first guy had made a mess of already so not first bad job he done .

What are my rights and what advise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Sorry OP but can you please paragraph your post. It's alot easier to read and you'll get more replies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

If he did not do the job then don't pay him, sounds like he tried to pull a fast one when you collected. He would not get a penny from me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Rallycrazygirl

His threatening to report me for fraud for not paying him. even though he ended up costing me more in the end. Would have no problem paying if he had provided service promised. Also agreeing that he wouldn't take payment as he knew he messed up. Second guy did fantastic job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Tell him that you will pay him in full. But, also tell him that you will be taking a case to court for the work that ended up costing you more, and that it will end up with him having to justify his cost in court, and probably end with him also having to pay the cost of the 2nd job, which was needed to fix his poor work.

His choice then - get payment and be taken to court, or he just walks away.

You may also want to consult a solicitor, and bring all the reports and documentation you have on the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Also agreeing that he wouldn't take payment as he knew he messed up. .

Enough said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Rallycrazygirl

Paulw wrote: »
    Tell him that you will pay him in full. But, also tell him that you will be taking a case to court for the work that ended up costing you more, and that it will end up with him having to justify his cost in court, and probably end with him also having to pay the cost of the 2nd job, which was needed to fix his poor work.

His choice then - get payment and be taken to court, or he just walks away.

You may also want to consult a solicitor, and bring all the reports and documentation you have on the whole thing.

I'm going to ring my solicitor tomorrow to see what he thinks. But will also ring guy with your advise see what he says then. I should have billed him for extra work but didn't.

Advertisement