Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Ireland Insurance

• 12-01-2017 10:16pm
    Site Banned Posts: 13

Are these OK? I never came across them before. Who do they use to underwrite?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I've used them. They are fine.

Full details on their website.

• Site Banned Posts: 13 Sams squirrel

ht tp ://w ww .firstireland .ie/ (cant post links)

Can anybody see who underwrites for them? I can't find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Can anybody see who underwrites for them? I can't find it.

The are a broker ('We are one of the largest brokerages in Ireland.') which is not tied to any insurance company.....

Motor insurance: We'll compare up to 35 products from 20 insurers to find our cheapest car insurance for you

Home Insurance: We’ll compare home insurance quotes from 13 insurers cross the market to get you our best value deal

http://www.firstireland.ie/

Yea, I seen that, but alot of the brokerages list the companies that are the eventual underwriter that they'd deal with. Just weary of any Malta or wherever based one about to shut up shop. I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

Patrona is the company they use.

Are they ok?

• Advertisement

Patrona is the company they use.

Are they ok?

Patrona is an underwriting agency, they farm out the risk to different insurance companies.

So you'll have two layers of middleman involved in any policy you take out.

coylemj wrote: »
    Patrona is an underwriting agency, they farm out the risk to different insurance companies.

So you'll have two layers of middleman involved in any policy you take out.

Hi coylemj,

Thanks for reply. It's getting very tricky all this insurance lark, i'm looking for someone else (mother) which makes things worse/don't want to send her wrong.

How do you find out who patrona end up sending it to? Guy on phone just said patrona. After alot of looking they've come back with best price for her, a google looks like they themselves are OK but means nothing the way things are with dodgy companies operating.

I'll ring again I guess.

How do you find out who patrona end up sending it to? Guy on phone just said patrona. After alot of looking they've come back with best price for her, a google looks like they themselves are OK but means nothing the way things are with dodgy companies operating.

I understand that in order to discourage tyre kickers (time wasters), brokers typically do not reveal the name of the insurance company they are quoting until you agree to the quote and hand over the money at which point they will send you a cert and disc which will show you the insurer's name.

I could be wrong in the case of some intermediaries but I have heard that a lot of brokers will not reveal the name of the insurance company for fear that you will then bypass the broker and go direct i.e. let the broker do the legwork and then cut them out of the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

coylemj wrote:
    I understand that in order to discourage tyre kickers (time wasters), brokers typically do not reveal the name of the insurance company they are quoting until you agree to the quote and hand over the money at which point they will send you a cert and disc which will show you the insurer's name.

coylemj wrote:
    I could be wrong in the case of some intermediaries but I have heard that a lot of brokers will not reveal the name of the insurance company for fear that you will then bypass the broker and go direct i.e. let the broker do the legwork and then cut them out of the deal.

You're wrong. Consumer protection code requires you to issue a quote letter identifying the insurer .

Patrona use qudous gefion. They are a Danish or Dutch underwriter to my memory.

Advertisement