Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running buggy

Options
  • 12-01-2017 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Any advice from experience on a single buggy solely for running purposes? I have a heavy duty one for every day use but I'd like a lighter one for getting out running.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

MarieC wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Any advice from experience on a single buggy solely for running purposes? I have a heavy duty one for every day use but I'd like a lighter one for getting out running.

Thanks

Jogging buggies aren't especially light in my experience. I have a single Mountain Buggy Terrain. It's great for all purposes, i didn't end up using it for jogging a whole lot really but it's great for walking on rough country roads or beaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Main thing is will the child like it. If your main buggy is child facing you they may not like it when they have to face away with some running buggies. I had a baby jogger performance which are great. First kid loved it. Was able to go on long runs which was sweet. Second one hated it (and most things ). Found up to an hour was ideal on a route where the scenery was ever changing. Ended up having to pick each new color flower along the way but was able to get out for a run.

So best to borrow one, try it out for a few goes before buying it especially if its changing the child facing direction. I knew after 1/2 mile that she hated it and would never like it. Giving them food or treats for the first few trips is probably important as there is a right and wrong way to get your child to be ok with a running buggy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What kind of terrain will you be running on? Totally smooth tarmac, or will there be any off road trails?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I bought an Out'n'About nipper about 7-8 months ago and find it quite good for jogging. We had a Bugaboo as the primary buggy and now use the nipper as a daily buggy. It is quite light, I can push it with one finger while jogging.

It is also quite good for walking on trails and folds up as a single piece, handy for bringing on airplanes compared to the two piece bugaboo.

There is a run specific version of the nipper but I find the regular one to be plenty. I raced a 5km with it in December.

https://tonykealys.com/prams-pushchairs/3-wheelers/out-n-about-single-nipper.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I picked one up on done deal for about 90 euro. Cant remember the name of it, but worth checking there. (Had it professionally cleaned for 70 euro)

Mine is heavy to lift, but really easy to run with and junior loves it. Only do up to an hour with him though so the novelty remains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I have a BOB Ironman, absolute tank but great to run with. Got mine secondhand for £100 when my son was around 6 months old. We just use it for running, we either use a sling or our Baby Jogger City Mini normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Dublin9210

Jogging buggies are very light if you get a proper one.I have the baby jogger(used by Paula Radcliffe)
    Only good in parks as too wide for foot paths though.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Looking for advise on a running buggy folks. Realistically at what age do you put your kids in one? Have a regular buggy for everyday stuff but really want to get one for running.

Iv been looking on donedeal and places but have not seen anything. We live very close to the waterford greenway so will be using it on tarmac most.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

6 months or so, your child needs good head control before one can safely be used.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

From 6 months you should be fine, once they can support their head themselves.

Pretty sure I was just walking around at an old 4 months, but that is fine at any point if you have a nice flat surface and they are laying down. Was then running from about 5 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Cool. Thanks for those replies.

Any experience with a bugaboo jogger? I have a bugaboo pram so i would only need the jogger frame.

The size of the wheels and that the front wheel is lockable, or permanently fixed, is the main criteria that you need to look at and that frame looks fine.

The thing that I didn't like about the look of the Bugaboo when I was investigating was just the way the seat looked as if they were barely balanced on the top of it and it was just a kind of tray that the baby would be strapped onto. It's obviously just an optical illusion, but just still looked a bit "wrong" to me in the pictures.
    But being able to turn the seat round to face you could be useful, especially early on. The mud guards would also come in handy for some of the parkruns we do and I end up getting covered as I have no protection. :)

Mud guards are a problem though when pushing a buggy around Glastonbury as they just clog up. Once you get a bit of speed on though they are fine... normally.

Advertisement