Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with putting runner of solid new stairs

Options
  • 12-01-2017 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am desperate to put a runner on our stairs which is a modern straight 90 degree edges without bullnose. It has glass side/balustrade. How do I put on a runner with underlay on steps without a bullnose to ensure that step does not tear through the runner. I need a solution that is not messy from side look (because of glass).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

You could add a bullnose to the existing thread , finishing it slightly shorter than the width of the runner. If you want to keep the sharp look you have currently, you could put a 12 / 15 mm radius on the front of the thread the width of the runner , but this would be irreversible if the runner was removed.
    Would thread mats or rugs do instead of the full runner .
    Is there a need to do anything with the thread, it should take a long time to wear the runner out even with it fitted onto the square edge, and before it's worn you may want to change it for a new look.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tricky99

Thanks. Ive asked a few carpet places now and they say even the best carpet will only a last a year or two with such a sharp edge in house with a family. Given the price of carpet I dont think Ill be changing it every other year. Your proposal will work looking at the stair head on but I also have the issue from the side view as glass runs directly into the step so can see straight through from side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Do you want the runner for appearance or safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭tricky99

both really. It is very slippy and also noise is echo through the house but if I put one down I do want it to look good if thats what you mean :)

Advertisement