Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWE United Kingdom Championship Tournament and Follow Up

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

That lad is 19 and knows how to sell better than everyone on WWE's main roster. Still selling at the belt presentation.

Peter Gabriel's lawyers better be on the phone about that terrible music.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

So what now for WWE UK ??

Did it perform enough to get it's own show ??

Will Tyler go to NXT too defend the UK title or will be a one off title win like the Andre the giant battle royal ???

The best guys out of the 16 will head to NXT ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭Monokne

I'm confused by all the talk of NXT.

If they wanted any of these guys for NXT, they could have been in NXT ages ago.

They were all hired to launch a UK brand to provide local competion for World Of Sport. So that's what they'll be used for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I reckon they'll tape 4 weeks worth of shows in the UK one night a month like they do with NXT and air them on the network. With a "special" every 2-3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Monokne wrote: »
    I'm confused by all the talk of NXT.

If they wanted any of these guys for NXT, they could have been in NXT ages ago.

They were all hired to launch a UK brand to provide local competion for World Of Sport. So that's what they'll be used for.

HHH apparently said himself this week that the path is WWE UK to NXT to WWE so you would think that's certainly where they'll start. Perhaps an occasional appearance at Takeover or something.

Pentecost wrote: »
    HHH apparently said himself this week that the path is WWE UK to NXT to WWE so you would think that's certainly where they'll start. Perhaps an occasional appearance at Takeover or something.

Yes, that makes sense.

My point is that RIGHT NOW they are trying to launch WWE UK with its own weekly show. The roster is VERY weak as it is. God knows why they'd then move the good guys to NXT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

That lad is 19 and knows how to sell better than everyone on WWE's main roster. Still selling at the belt presentation.

Haha. Was a funny and lazy version of it.
    Does he usually use Gabriel's version on the indys or something?

Yes, that makes sense.

My point is that RIGHT NOW they are trying to launch WWE UK with its own weekly show. The roster is VERY weak as it is. God knows why they'd then move the good guys to NXT.

Absolutely, agreed. There are only two or three you would say are good enough to appear on NXT right now based on this weekend and they're not desperately needed over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

He uses Sledgehammer as his OTT entrance music so I was delighted to hear the tribute, same with a lot of the music picked for the guys.

Night two far surpassed night one. The first night felt a bit flat, while tonight everyone was on fire. The right men reached the final and I'd been happy with either of them having their hand held high at the end. Fantastic showcase for everyone involved and hopefully helps these guys get more opportunities.

• Advertisement

Of course some of the lads will end up in NXT/USA eventually.

While a decision on a regular show is made they will be getting a few quid from WWE and taking bookings that WWE are happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yes, that makes sense.

Because of natural progression. I'll let you in on a secret, WWE don't give a crap about the UK market, at least compared to the US. Sure, they'll do the weekly show because the tournament was so successful, but what are they really making from it? One show in the UK (which might only be taped once a month or so) versus dozens of NXT shows a year across the US in low-cost venues that need decent names to draw fans in.

They need good names and good wrestlers to fill those NXT house show seats, if there's a high level talent in the UK, they won't be long getting them stateside. Also, lets face it, British fans will pay to see whatever WWE put in front of them right now, WWE haven't oversaturated that market yet and it's not hard for them to sell shows over there. It's just worth noting that it's never a wrestling decision with WWE, it's always a business decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Tyler Bate could be a new Daniel Bryan type guy. He's still young and has a bright future ahead of him. As another poster mentioned before he was born in 1998 so he missed a lot of historic moments in pro wrestling and guys like Cena/Orton/batistia/Styles are his inspiration. He was 7 when Eddie passed away in 2005 (guys were old lol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I know most won't agree buy I liked bate/dunne more than omega/okada

martyos121 wrote: »
    Because of natural progression. I'll let you in on a secret, WWE don't give a crap about the UK market, at least compared to the US. Sure, they'll do the weekly show because the tournament was so successful, but what are they really making from it? One show in the UK (which might only be taped once a month or so) versus dozens of NXT shows a year across the US in low-cost venues that need decent names to draw fans in.

They need good names and good wrestlers to fill those NXT house show seats, if there's a high level talent in the UK, they won't be long getting them stateside. Also, lets face it, British fans will pay to see whatever WWE put in front of them right now, WWE haven't oversaturated that market yet and it's not hard for them to sell shows over there. It's just worth noting that it's never a wrestling decision with WWE, it's always a business decision.

You didn't pick the best weekend to claim WWE doesn't give a crap about the UK market.

As long as 5* Wrestling and World of Sport are trying to get solid footing and grow their brands, both with superior TV deals to WWE, WWE will be there aggressively trying to maintain a presence and prevent the new boys on the block from taking an appreciable share of the market.

I think we are all aware that NXT will need name talent. I do appreciate the 'I'll let you in on a secret' bit, mind you. Very good. :D

sky88 wrote: »

I watched today live so liked it more also, things that you watch "in the moment", are what make sports (or sports entertainment) great.

I can imagine football fans popping at different stages of today' United v Liverpool match but it they watched it later in tape, knowing the result it wouldn't even get a meh.

If I watched Omega and Okada live I know I would have loved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

Yep! Maybe its cos I am more invested in Tyler and Pete but that match had me on the edge of my seat. Just phenomenal! No 19 year old should be that good at anything. The kid is a prodigy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Pete Dunne is a fantastic heel. I could have watched him wrestle another three matches tonight alone. I hope we see a lot more of him.

You didn't pick the best weekend to claim WWE doesn't give a crap about the UK market.

As long as 5* Wrestling and World of Sport are trying to get solid footing and grow their brands, both with superior TV deals to WWE, WWE will be there aggressively trying to maintain a presence and prevent the new boys on the block from taking an appreciable share of the market.

I think we are all aware that NXT will need name talent. I do appreciate the 'I'll let you in on a secret' bit, mind you. Very good. :D

It hasn't stopped being true though, one little tournament won't change it. The big bucks are made in the USA, our corner of the world (might as well lump Ireland into this for the sake of it) is an afterthought to them.

As for 5* Wrestling and World of Sport, I don't see them taking significant chunks of cash out of WWE pockets if I'm being honest, the fans who attend and watch their events will almost certainly be WWE fans as well, much like how even the most dedicated indy fans will watch WWE if only to complain about it (which is fair).

Would they have posed a problem to WWE's market share in the UK even without a weekly show ran by WWE? I'd guess no, but the answer is that it doesn't really matter, once again because the USA is where the vast, vast majority of their profits are made. At the end of the day, it's more good wrestling to enjoy so I'm a happy camper, as we all will be I'm sure.

Now if WWE ever decide to try and do the same in Japan, I'll take back nearly much everything I've just said. That'd be a ballsy move. :)

Loughc wrote: »
    Pete Dunne is a fantastic heel. I could have watched him wrestle another three matches tonight alone. I hope we see a lot more of him.

Big future for him. As good as Bate is for a 19 year old, I can't believe that Dunne is just 23. He looks like a polished veteran in the ring, serious William Regal vibes off him tonight I felt, especially the targeting of injuries and the scowl on him.

Really hope his character isn't changed much when he's inevitably brought to NXT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

With the whole NXT thing and now this, is Triple H doing what a young Vinnie Mac once did, but on a global scale?

Big future for him. As good as Bate is for a 19 year old, I can't believe that Dunne is just 23. He looks like a polished veteran in the ring, serious William Regal vibes off him tonight I felt, especially the targeting of injuries and the scowl on him.

Really hope his character isn't changed much when he's inevitably brought to NXT.

One slight criticism, and it's very slight, is that he could do with losing a bit of weight he looked a bit paunchy for a 23 year old.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That's another thing I enjoyed about the uk championship tournament there was no silly gimmick wrestlers their were just 16 wrestlers who wanted to win the championship and it made it feel so much more real.

One slight criticism, and it's very slight, is that he could do with losing a bit of weight he looked a bit paunchy for a 23 year old.

Yeah I suppose it couldn't hurt, but I have to say I quite like his look. It's very menacing and old-fashioned, he reminds me of a young Rhyno crossed with Regal. Also his ring gear definitely helps distract from the extra weight at least.

It hasn't stopped being true though, one little tournament won't change it. The big bucks are made in the USA, our corner of the world (might as well lump Ireland into this for the sake of it) is an afterthought to them.

As for 5* Wrestling and World of Sport, I don't see them taking significant chunks of cash out of WWE pockets if I'm being hones
    t, the fans who attend and watch their events will almost certainly be WWE fans as well, much like how even the most dedicated indy fans will watch WWE if only to complain about it (which is fair).

Would they have posed a problem to WWE's market share in the UK even without a weekly show ran by WWE? I'd guess no, but the answer is that it doesn't really matter, once again because the USA is where the vast, vast majority of their profits are made. At the end of the day, it's more good wrestling to enjoy so I'm a happy camper, as we all will be I'm sure.

Now if WWE ever decide to try and do the same in Japan, I'll take back nearly much everything I've just said. That'd be a ballsy move. :)

You are proving my point here!!! Sweet baby Jesus!!!

Look at the points you've highlighted. You're spot on. These startups will in all likelihood not make a dent in their profits. It should be a non issue.

However, they have dedicated huge resources and hundreds of thousands of dollars to put this production on and stake a place in the market. That is demonstrable proof that AT THIS EXACT MOMENT and for the near future the UK market is a priority to WWE. It is VERY simple. It's not a debate here. It really isn't.

Pointing out that the US, where they make 65 - 70% of their income will always be a bigger priority is such a strawman argument. Gee thanks for the insight Captain Obvious ;)

When in the last 25 years has WWE put this much focus on any other market? Never? Ok then. My point is made.

His tights. He needs to make them longer. The shape of them enhances his gut. If the bottoms extended six inches longer like Jack Swaggers, it doesn't look as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It was good, but it's not even close. I actually thought the Andrews match was slightly better than the final.

Some good rasslin' all round but nothings getting 6 stars, a very generous 4 at best.

You are proving my point here!!! Sweet baby Jesus!!!

Look at the points you've highlighted. You're spot on. These startups will in all likelihood not make a dent in their profits. It should be a non issue.

However, they have dedicated huge resources and hundreds of thousands of dollars to put this production on and stake a place in the market. That is demonstrable proof that AT THIS EXACT MOMENT and for the near future the UK market is a priority to WWE. It is VERY simple. It's not a debate here. It really isn't.

Pointing out that the US, where they make 65 - 70% of their income will always be a bigger priority is such a strawman argument. Gee thanks for the insight Captain Obvious ;)

When in the last 25 years has WWE put this much focus on any other market? Never? Ok then. My point is made.

Hmm, a two night event with the possibility of a further weekly show (which will likely have a staggered taping schedule meaning around a dozen shows a year) and I imagine around 15-20 wrestlers all with low booking costs and therefore mediocre WWE contracts doesn't exactly equate to "huge resources" for a business the size of WWE.

This expansion has the appearance of fan service and ambition, but it's the safest thing they'll ever do without actually growing the brand over there all that much. It's not costing WWE enough for them to worry about the costs, with the UK market not fully tapped like America, they are guaranteed not to shît the bed on finances simp,y because UK fans will take whatever they get from WWE and pay for it blindly. NXT is more than likely still being run at a loss like it was early last year, but they haven't put the brakes on that, no no no, they're actually running even more shows than ever because the small losses are easily offset by other income.

You make the UK expansion out to be ambitious when it's anything but. The UK market isn't a "priority" either, because that would mean something properly ambitious, like a Summerslam or dare I say, WrestleMania, in London someday. When that happens, you can start calling the UK market a priority but not a moment sooner. It's a neat little side-project for whoever's involved but Vince won't be paying an awful lot of attention to a pseudo-indy show ran overseas, as long as he's not losing more than 500k a year on it. They don't have competitors in the UK and that won't change with World of Sport, ITV is FTA and WWE fans won't be cancelling their Sky Sports (those who pay for it, that is) or Network subs because of it, rest assured.

Anyway, it's time Captain Obvious stopped over here got some sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

I think this tournament was far better than CWC storytelling wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭spillit67

As for 5* Wrestling and World of Sport, I don't see them taking significant chunks of cash out of WWE pockets if I'm being honest, the fans who attend and watch their events will almost certainly be WWE fans as well, much like how even the most dedicated indy fans will watch WWE if only to complain about it (which is fair).

The aim of NXT (the Performance Center) is to develop stars for the future. The aim of NXT (the tv show) is to keep subscribers with the Network after they've trawled the back catelogue. Measuring either of these in money is either impossible or pointless really.

Moving them to NXT is not for short term sales for sweaty house shows, it is to get them up to speed with the WWE tv way and selling to a US audience. If the WWE really wanted to always sell out these shows the easy way, they could hire any number of their former roster who, with a tiny bit WWE promotion, could fill these small places.

Is Pete Dunne such a "name" that he is going to fill these places up? No, he's a developmental talent. He might have been previously earmarked to go to NXT and just added to this tournament before he went over, but the point about moving him over this early stands up. You are building a new television show and he is one of the best pieces you have. The Network is a far longer play than selling out to a small crowd in Jacksonville in a couple of months - and I doubt Pete Dunne is moving the needle there anyway.

I don't think for one minute it was suggested in here that this is an effort to supplant the WWE current major league (RAW/Smackdown)/minor league (NXT), just that there is no point in damaging the show early on.

It isn't a coincidence that this thing was launched when World of Sport was. The WWE see a growing market, with a unique fanbase and style, that they can sell on their network in the US. If I had to guess, they will go to Sky Sports in the UK/Ireland for any weekly programme. In that sense it's a double play, try and tap into the growing UK market and add something different to the WWE Network for everyone else.

The idea for a UK show has likely been in the pipeline for a while, but WoS hurried them into arranging this tournament. The turnaround time for this tournament was something else. I'm actually quite surprised the WWE were happy to run ahead with it under their brand with the limited look at the talent out there that they had.

Advertisement