Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glove patching?

• 12-01-2017 11:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

My 2 year old winter gloves are getting worn around the index finger and now have a slight hole on both of them.

Anywhere in Dublin City centre that would be able to patch them? Probably some leather patching might do the job.

Or any diy solutions? Tried Sugru but it just fell off.

Comments

colm_c wrote: »
    My 2 year old winter gloves are getting worn around the index finger and now have a slight hole on both of them.

Anywhere in Dublin City centre that would be able to patch them? Probably some leather patching might do the job.

Or any diy solutions? Tried Sugru but it just fell off.

Colm I would be more tempted to glue them. I have basically a brand new pair of alpinestars gloves, maybe 6 months old not worn that much. The stitching in one of the fingers came out (**** quality), anyway I brought it to a place that does re upholstering of furniture as they are only around the corner. Your man stitched it for free but basically where he stitched has nearly cut through the leather and it will be only a matter of time before it splits there.

Whether that was because he used a super industrial strength sewing machine I dont know but I would advice you to get it either hand stitched or glued based on that. I think the leather in the fingers is quite thin.

Once that rips I pretty much have to throw a 200 eur pair of gloves in the bin :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Get a tube of shoe goo.
    This stuff is amazingly strong, comes in clear or black if you are worried about colour coordination.
    http://eclecticproducts.com/products/shoe-goo.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Colm I would be more tempted to glue them. I have basically a brand new pair of alpinestars gloves, maybe 6 months old not worn that much. The stitching in one of the fingers came out (**** quality), anyway I brought it to a place that does re upholstering of furniture as they are only around the corner. Your man stitched it for free but basically where he stitched has nearly cut through the leather and it will be only a matter of time before it splits there.

Whether that was because he used a super industrial strength sewing machine I dont know but I would advice you to get it either hand stitched or glued based on that. I think the leather in the fingers is quite thin.

Once that rips I pretty much have to throw a 200 eur pair of gloves in the bin :mad:

You should have contacted alpinestars. If you didn't 200 euro on gloves and they lasted 6 months then they were ****e and faulty.

listermint wrote: »
    You should have contacted alpinestars. If you didn't 200 euro on gloves and they lasted 6 months then they were ****e and faulty.

I did but they didn't even reply, they don't seem to give a **** unless you live in the states. Website is a joke with no contact details. I needed the gloves for a ride so just got them repaired wasn't bothered waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

Might just try to patch them with some of that shoe goo or maybe some tec 7, as I think I have some in the shed.

Now to locate some material to cover the holes. I might sacrifice an old black bag for material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

listermint wrote: »
    You should have contacted alpinestars.

Should have contacted the retailer instead. A lot of retailers will try to fob you off by telling you to contact the manufacturer but they're the ones who took your money, your contract is with them and they're responsible for making things right.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

I wonder is it worth a try with self amalgamating tape as used buy satellite dish installers. It is interesting stuff to use, and I think remains fairly flexible after doing its bonding chemical reaction piece (if that correct terminology :-))

Recommend practising with it first.

http://www.freetv.ie/10m-self-amalgamating-tape/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I did but they didn't even reply, they don't seem to give a **** unless you live in the states. Website is a joke with no contact details. I needed the gloves for a ride so just got them repaired wasn't bothered waiting.

What are you contacting Alpinestars for directly?

The shop you bought them off is your point of contact, let the shop deal with AS....seriously I would be all kinds of Bruce Willis running amuck in the shop brah!!!

If ordered online, its a little trickier but same principle applies.

:cool:

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    What are you contacting Alpinestars for directly?

The shop you bought them off is your point of contact, let the shop deal with AS....seriously I would be all kinds of Bruce Willis running amuck in the shop brah!!!

If ordered online, its a little trickier but same principle applies.

:cool:
    They were bought online, if bricks and mortar I would have brought them back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

It really doesnt matter if they were bought online.....you have a right to a repair or replacement.

I bought a helmet at motorcycle live at the NEC in Birmignham and about 3 mths later a flap at the bottom part of the lid broke away, I contacted the dealer from the show and not only did they replace it, it was collected by them from a Dublin motorbike shop I also got a newer colour that was launched in the meantime I could not afford at the show (had to get the cheaper plain white one)

Hopefully you paid by credit card or debit card so you can trace the transaction....deffo get on to them lad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement