Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I'm gonna TRY build a hyperspin barcade!

• 13-01-2017 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭

How's your things?

I've decided to finally start building my hyperspin barcade for my room. Anything I need to look out for or anywhere that has foolproof instructions for barcade shapes? It's gonna be a custom build from the ground up because I'm putting a fairly hefty speck full size PC into it so will be future proofed and capable of running some of last gens games from day one.

I've already been advised on Windows 2000 so I got the ultimate edition.

I've been trawling the interweb and have watched many many simply austin and similiar videos and bought nearly everything to get started.

The base will be lager than a normal barcade for obvious reasons (full size pc) and I'm putting in a super flat widescreen which will also allow for 8 play buttons a joystick, player select and an alternate select each... also will have a home centre button, and two side flippers.

The main outside decal is already purchased. Have to figure what ill put by the sticks and buttons yet. might get something custom made.

Now for the questions

1)Is there anywhere for good schematics for builds. I've seen a few online in my searching but I'm looking for something that looks nice (I'll be altering them obviously but I want something sleek and not boxy). The majority of designs I've seen have been very very boxy.

2)How many fans should I use? Is it a case of the more the better. They will be silent running fans so shouldn't bother me noise wise

3)It'll be upstairs and I'll probably get most use when the twins are in bed... Is making the sound switchable (on and off) as simple as a switch or am I better in wiring to the speakers first and then an isolator loop back that's switched again from the outside?

4)The keyboard and mouse from initial setup... Should I build that into the machine? Or is it as easy to just flip the hinged controls section and reconnect as needed? Ive seen drawer like solutions but itll just make my already enlarged base even bigger I reckon.

5)Best material to use? Im thinking wood (I'll be cutting it myself either way) but I've seen quite a few done using plastic that have looked nice when the decals are on.

6)I've a couple of amazing hacks and have dumped the roms. A few are not readily available. How easy is it to create new entries into the hyperspin wheels for the hacks? I've never used hyperspin in my life and have heard its tricky enough. Theres only so much you can see from tutorial video swithout being hands on. The roms are across a few systems so not simply just one wheel that needs changing.

Thanks in advance for the help guys. I truly am out of my depth with this build but it's something I'm gonna take my time with and get right hopefully with a lot of patience.

Al.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭eddhorse

1. I have heard good results with this site:
    http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/

2. Depending on Raspberry Pinor PC, one for PC woukd be enough.

3. I would say add a headphone jack because why not :) or at least volume/amp nob.

4. Bluetooth for mini mouse and keyboard.
    Or wifi for browsing to and remote access.

5. Birch Ply is light and easy to cut.

6. Hyperspin is a tricky beast. So many options, try not to overcomplicate to start with. Just have mame maybe, then slowly add other emus. Always back up before changes.

Beat of luck with it, i want pictures and updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,780 ✭✭✭Inviere

My advice after doing similar a few years back:

Don't go full size, go mAtx. You don't need a full sized tax board in there unless you're planning on using loads of pci cards. Use an AIO water cooler too, much quieter. Use two fans on the rear of the cab, an intake lower down near the aio radiator, and exhaust fan up high to expel any hot air that has risen up.

Don't worry about alternate button presses, and dedicated buttons for different functions. An Ipac takes care of all this. A joystick, a start button, six or eight player buttons, a coin button if you want to use a fancy one, and that's really all you need to be visible.

As for keyboard and mice, buy a cheap wireless set, and run an external USB slot to the back or side of the cab. Connect and disconnect as needed.

Not sure why you're looking at windows 2000, windows 7 is perfect for a hyperspin installation with an LCD monitor...and will save you serious driver headaches if using modern hardware.

As for sound, use speakers and mount the amp inside the cab. I'd wire a simple headphone port somewhere inconspicuous too, for when everyone is asleep.

Don't buy crappy happy sticks and buttons....they're terrible. Invest in decent sticks and buttons, the jap ones are best.

Use an ssd for your boot drive, and store everything on a second larger drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Alter Egotist

Inviere wrote: »
    My advice after doing similar a few years back:

Don't go full size, go mAtx. You don't need a full sized tax board in there unless you're planning on using loads of pci cards. Use an AIO water cooler too, much quieter. Use two fans on the rear of the cab, an intake lower down near the aio radiator, and exhaust fan up high to expel any hot air that has risen up.

Don't worry about alternate button presses, and dedicated buttons for different functions. An Ipac takes care of all this. A joystick, a start button, six or eight player buttons, a coin button if you want to use a fancy one, and that's really all you need to be visible.

As for keyboard and mice, buy a cheap wireless set, and run an external USB slot to the back or side of the cab. Connect and disconnect as needed.

Not sure why you're looking at windows 2000, windows 7 is perfect for a hyperspin installation with an LCD monitor...and will save you serious driver headaches if using modern hardware.

As for sound, use speakers and mount the amp inside the cab. I'd wire a simple headphone port somewhere inconspicuous too, for when everyone is asleep.

Don't buy crappy happy sticks and buttons....they're terrible. Invest in decent sticks and buttons, the jap ones are best.

Use an ssd for your boot drive, and store everything on a second larger drive.

Apologies... I meant Windows 7. Dunno why 2000 was in my mind.

I'll look into the headphones port and speakers (havent acquired speakers yet) Can anyone recommend good ones I could plug directly into the PC

Sticks and buttons are already purchased. They are a good enough make i'm led to believe. Dont need a coin button as hyperspin can be set to freeplay?

Full size board is already purchased and half built. I'm missing the sata cable for the hdd (4tb that be split into 1 tb for os and 3tb for files and hyperspin) and a 4pin to 8 pin adapter for the atx board from the power supply

All the items I'm using so far I've received as trades so couldn't exactly be two picky with my requests.

Thanks for the recommends though

Right. So.... Right......

Update time.

Picture below the jump. Viewer discretion is advised. Not for the p.c. loving or faint hearted ;-) Acrobats at work. Working on the top of a bedside locker atm. ;-)

I've started building Frankenstein's monster finally from all the bits I've acquired from trades I've done. Had quite a few small hiccups to begin with. In all of my trading I'd never actually acquired a decent sata 3 cable or 4 pin to 8 pin atx adapter for the psu to motherboard. Then because of the fancy and matching heat sync i bought (yes I know I wont be able to see it) i wasn't able to fit it neatly to the board. It just came across too big and because of the layout of the MSI gaming board was either touching something or just not fitting at all. Solution. Removed the top decorative bit of a nearby heat sync for something else. (Its purely decorative on the board and was only the top cap anyway but now has enough room to sit securely). Moving on... Went to install Windows 7 Ultimate and the person who'd traded me for the code had give me the wrong number. I'd to wait 24hrs for the correct code. Was as simple as being a digit out but now its built and running. The majority of updates are still running in the background as I type this. Finally I got a brand new ultra wide LCD screen and of course because nothing is simple ended up with ghosting on screen. Checked the drivers, software, moved monitor away from the pc. (have a 3 meter HDMI cable) before realizing id to setup the monitor purely for gaming / pc use and configure all the settings within the advanced settings of the monitor itself.

Anyway after all the niggling with small issues I'm up and running finally as a P.C. waiting to be hyper spun. Getting started has taken ages as I've been in and out of hospital and to appointments (One was even in England) so only given this a few hours (more including the updates and an over night for the Windows 7 code) but its simply the shell of just a PC case i'd pre altered to a side (the back) and base with all the components, usb mouse and keyboard (to be replaced with a Bluetooth setup in the future when built) and 22inch LCD extra wide monitor

Whats under the hood?

1 x MSI 797 Gaming 5 Motherboard
    1 x Fancy Dancy Heat Sync (technical term I'm led to believe)
    1 x 16gb gaming ram
    1 x 2gb GeForce GT 720 graphis card
    1 x 1150 socket 3.5 CPU
    1 X 4TB HDD (.75tb for the operating systems drive and rest for hyperspin and oper programs ill be running)
    1 x usb mouse
    1 x usb keyboard

I'm very very happy to have only spent about a tenner cash money on this build so far and gotten everything else via trade ;-)

Haven't decided if I'll jump straight into cutting the wood or getting the machine fully hyper spun first, Probably the later as I want it to run every single emulator its capable of so itll need a lot of toying with I imagine!

Tips on going forward are appreciated as always.

Al.

Great for €10, seems very overkill for just a hyperspin setup, what emulators will be running?
    Let the many tutorials begin :)

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »
    what emulators will be running?

Everything... I reckon itll be powerful enough to run quite a few wii u games. I also hope to have several of the newer arcade games setup on it. I'm half thinking of incorporating a wii style bar and wireless device for gun type games and configuring that. Drop a hatch at the front and ive two guns available maybe.. could use it for the latest gun games. (to many to mention) and more obscure luigis mansion etc. I've already tested the arcade versions of mario kart gp (1, 2 and the newer one) on a similiar system at work and they run fine so those also. Everything i can get working basically and then be powerful enough to future proof it for a while.
    eddhorse wrote: »
    Let the many tutorials begin :)

Chalk it down. Saying that, I'm more worried about building and cutting of the surrounds / case than I am of hyperspin. I'm sure I'm wrong and itll be a disaster but the fact that i'm building it myself at least will feel like a result / triumph. I want it 100% out of the gate though so itll take a while as I want it to look perfect.

Al.

Advice : Start with the oldest emulators and work you way up, backup config all the time

Riddle me this Batman/Batmen/Hyperspin users!

Advice needed. So I'm getting the hang of hyper spin. It seems easier than I had expected and works excellently for testing using the default controls at the moment. Some of the stuff that runs on it is mind blowing and I'm delighted if does.

OK the question.

I've created a few wheels testing stuff out. I'll delete them and populate them properly after a bit more messing. Is there any reason at all that the newer consoles won't call the images and videos from within their wheels? One console in particular allows the image and video for the main wheel to be displayed. When I click into the wheel it displays the names of the games I've called but not the images or videos. All the games work properly and I've done nothing different than how I populated the other wheels that work 100%. Head scratching.

Any chance anyone has any ideas/suggestions.

I've used the internet and read a few conflicting suggestions so want to throw it out for suggestion before I go tampering with the base.

Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭con71

I used Hyperspin with Rocketlauncher for a good bit. I followed the video tutorials from Simply Austin.
    Recently though I switched to Launcbox. Really simple to set up and you can use the unified themes from emu movies. You can use MAME for Arcade and NEO GEO and Retroarch for everything else.

con71 wrote: »
    I used Hyperspin with Rocketlauncher for a good bit. I followed the video tutorials from Simply Austin.
    Recently though I switched to Launcbox. Really simple to set up and you can use the unified themes from emu movies. You can use MAME for Arcade and NEO GEO and Retroarch for everything else.

I'm finding some bits tricky but slowly getting the hang of it. I image its all down to c++ errors, .dll errors and runtimes atm. I'm getting there so I'm gonna stick with hyperspin. I like the look of it. Everything I've tried so far has worked in one way or another so I reckon with time it'll be a beast.

Still have the initial excitement about it atm anyway.

Al.

• Advertisement
Advertisement