Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike

Options
  • 13-01-2017 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new bike, I have an mtb, nice road bike, a bmx .......
    I want something unusual but practical
    10k commute
    Family cycling
    Farting about

Was thinking of a NS Analog or a Cinelli bootleg mystic
    Any opinions on these or other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Thanks for the suggestion
    That's a Nice bike
    I'd have to change the bars

Mr.Boots wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestion
    That's a Nice bike
    I'd have to change the bars
    They have flat bar options but none are single-speed. Probably because their target market think they need gears.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/urban

I really wouldn't fancy changing a flat tyre on a bike with disc brakes, hub gear and mudguards. I've done it before in the dark in winter and it was awful. So I reckon bombproof tyres (e.g. Marathon or Tannus) are essential for this kind of bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

A friend of mine has a BMC Alfine 8 which meets your criteria of being unusual and practical. It's belt drive, with hub gears, mudguards, flat bar. Low maintenance, clean riding. It's also not all that heavy. It wasn't cheap when he bought it, and the successor isn't cheap either. Check out the BMC Alpenchallenge.

Edit: Here's an article that might help. https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2015/dec/18/three-alternative-commuter-bikes-bmc-on-one-genesis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Lumen wrote: »
    I really wouldn't fancy changing a flat tyre on a bike with disc brakes, hub gear and mudguards. I've done it before in the dark in winter and it was awful.

Did you change the tube or try to patch it in situ? I will sooner or later have to deal with a puncture on a hub-geared, roller-braked, very large bike.

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Did you change the tube or try to patch it in situ? I will sooner or later have to deal with a puncture on a hub-geared, roller-braked, very large bike.
    I changed the tube. It was horrible. It's fine to do sitting in a chair with a beer on a balmy summer evening. Standing on a dark street corner in the freezing pouring rain whilst traffic buzzes around, late to collect the kids from creche, is not the time to be asking about the low-maintenance merits of hub gearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

My plan is to patch the tube in situ, as this seems to be the recommended practice. I've no idea how this will turn out, as I've always changed the tube before, including on the Brompton, which is hub-geared. That's not too hard, but there's no way I'm taking the wheel off the bakfiets in the street.

Advertisement