Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US vs UK pint glasses in pubs

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

If it's being advertised for sale as a pint, then a 568ml pint is what you should get.

If it was a beer from Khazakstan and you ordered a "pint" which came in a half pint glass and an explanation that pints in Khazakstan are only 10oz you'd be right to demand a refund.

But by paying for it you are accepting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Concert venues also love those 400ml plastic "pint" glasses. Even more profit on top of already extortionate prices. Gave up on them years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Concert venues also love those 400ml plastic "pint" glasses.
    I hear this said a lot. I have been to many gigs over the years and have never once got one which I thought was 400ml (and being passed off as a pint), I don't think any were even 500ml.

Because of the moulding process the tops are usually tapered outwards a lot, while ones made of glass tend to taper back in.

This means the last upper inch in the plastic glass holds a fair amount of volume, and can visually look like it is smaller than a pint glass alongside it.

But barmen do tend to leave a head, and in gigs it is easily lost by bumping into people, so though I believe I have always gotten pint glasses I know it was often well under a pint by the time I went to drink it. The volume is often printed on the bottoms.

cryovac-sealed-air-disposable-plastic-pint-glass.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,849 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyone who allows customers to believe they are buying a 'pint' and serves less than 568mL is commiting fraud.

In Cavan there was a great fire / Judge McCarthy was sent to inquire / It would be a shame / If the nuns were to blame / So it had to be caused by a wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'm going to open a USA styled gas station here and charge for 3.8 litre gallons!!!

Advertisement