Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School-transportation

Options
  • 13-01-2017 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, anybody help me ?
    I moved to Naas in December and I am looking for transportation to my son to go to the school.
    We live in Monread Gardens and he will study in Naas Community College.
    Wich bus can he get ? Is there any mini bus that goes to these way (Monread Gardens to Naas Community College)?
    Thank you so much !

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

• Registered Users Posts: 9 redzobo

I'm in the same situation , we live on the sallins rd and I'm hoping there is a bus to NCC

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cynthya

The only bus that I found in Google Maps was 826. If you know other..

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

dont know about private transport but buseireann school transport should cover it

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=257

dont know about starting mid year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

micks wrote: »
    dont know about private transport but buseireann school transport should cover it

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=257

dont know about starting mid year

I thought that was only for rural areas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Vic_08

guil wrote: »
    I thought that was only for rural areas?

No, it applies to all schoolchildren who meet the criteria, for city dwellers most will not and even for those that do, a scheduled public bus service that meets the minimum service requirements will be the first option. In that circumstance a parent can still apply for a pass to be used on the scheduled services as it may be cheaper than paying regular fares.

The criteria are listed on the links on that page, it is different for primary and secondary schools.

eg, primary:
    Eligibility Criteria
    Children are eligible for transport where they reside not less than 3.2 kms from and are attending their nearest national school as determined by the Department/Bus Éireann, having regard to ethos and language.

Distance eligibility will be determined by Bus Éireann by measuring the shortest traversable route from the child’s home to the relevant school.

A minimum number of 10 eligible children residing in a distinct locality, as determined by Bus Éireann, are required before consideration may be given to the establishment or retention of school transport services, provided this can be done within reasonable cost limits.

For school bus operating purposes a “distinct locality” is a cluster of eligible children who reside in the same general area, in the same general direction from the school attended, as determined by Bus Éireann taking cognisance of the local road network. A service to convey a group of children whose homes are at scattered points in a school district would not be considered.

They may also accommodate non-eligible students if there is already a service used by eligible students that can take them without requiring a detour and if it has space. It is always worth applying.

At this point in the school year even if eligibility is met acceptance will be on the basis of availability, applications for the 2017/18 school year have to be in by the end of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

Eligibility Criteria
    Children are eligible for transport where they reside not less than 3.2 kms from and are attending their nearest national school as determined by the Department/Bus Éireann, having regard to ethos and language.

For Naas schools once you are over the 3.2 km you will be eligible to apply

I think there is 5 Second Level Schools in Naas
    All have a different ethos
    Male
    Female
    Multi denominational
    Non denominational
    Gael Scoil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

Hi Cynthia. I hope you got sorted. Yes, your child is eligible for a bus place, and the Bus Eireann link is the way you apply.

Unfortunately for the pos primary the distance is 4.8 km

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

According to google maps that's a 10 minute cycle. Any use?

• Advertisement

Someone indicates private school transport as van, minibus.. to take children from Monread to Naas Community College ?

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

micks wrote: »
    For Naas schools once you are over the 3.2 km you will be eligible to apply

I think there is 5 Second Level Schools in Naas
    All have a different ethos
    Male
    Female
    Multi denominational
    Non denominational
    Gael Scoil

All-male and all-female schools are not how Bus Éireann/Dept of Education define "ethos" in the post primary school transport scheme. Neither for that matter are Multi D or Inter D. It mainly refers to Church of Ireland secondary schools.
    The Gaelcholaiste would be treated differently under the "language" reference in the scheme.

Advertisement