Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work holiday

Options
  • 13-01-2017 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Can anyone give advice on an issue with work holidays. I've requested a week off but was refused for what I believe to be an invalid reason. Does my employer need to give me a valid reason? Am I entitled to a reason or can they refuse me without reasoning? I know I made it vague but I am unsure as to how much I'm allowed say on the thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They can refuse without any reason, but they do need to give due regard to:

"(i) the need for the employee to reconcile work and any family responsibilities,

(ii) the opportunities for rest and recreation available to the employee"

So if you're requesting a week off on the basis that it lines up with some event you're going to take part in, or you're planning on taking the kids on holidays, then they can't just refuse for no reason.

If you're just looking for a week off to do stuff that you could do at any other time, then the validity of their reason for refusal is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sambren

seamus wrote: »
    So if you're requesting a week off on the basis that it lines up with some event you're going to take part in, or you're planning on taking the kids on holidays, then they can't just refuse for no reason.

This is very helpful thank you for the information. A holiday was booked as a surprise and when I asked I was refused for a reason that is not written in the employee handbook, but it does say holidays must not be booked before being cleared by the GM

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Are you taking the holidays at short notice?

pilly wrote: »
    Are you taking the holidays at short notice?

I'm requesting it 1.5 months from now. Only got the holiday form last week

sambren wrote: »
    I'm requesting it 1.5 months now. Only get holiday form last week

I would think that's plenty of notice and very unfair of them to refuse. What was their reason?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Is it a busy time at work? Are there other people on holiday at the same time? If it's neither it does seem a little unfair, but if there's something on at work that requires all hands on deck, or if other people have booked that time off then it would be reasonable not to give additional employees holiday leave at that time. Seems unusual that they've haven't discussed their reasoning with you.

I would think that's plenty of notice and very unfair of them to refuse. What was their reason?

The reason was that another employee from another department booked it off before me. Employee handbook states no two people from the SAME department can have holidays at the same time.

The reason was that another employee from another department booked it off before me. Employee handbook states no two people from the SAME department can have holidays at the same time.

Does someone from your department have to cover the work of the person from the other department while they're away?

Yeah it's a tough one alright. Not sure what you could do. Is there any negotiating with them, like if you do some stuff before you go that will cover the period you're not there?

Does someone from your department have to cover the work of the person from the other department while they're away?

No there will be other staff to cover their shift.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's a tough one alright. Not sure what you could do. Is there any negotiating with them, like if you do some stuff before you go that will cover the period you're not there?

I've done all the overtime I could do over the Christmas. It's not busy now for overtime to be given

No there will be other staff to cover their shift.

That does seem a little unfair, then. Maybe offer to work later in the year when they have trouble getting cover, perhaps at a time other people dislike working? I'm not sure of your industry, but if you offer to cover bank holiday weekends, late nights etc., in tandem with an explanation that it was a gift, they might change their mind. It is their prerogative when you take holidays, but most employers are flexible when they can be.

I've done all the overtime I could do over the Christmas. It's not busy now for overtime to be given

Not really sure what the solution is then if it's not busy at the moment. Is it a case of you're on the phones?

That does seem a little unfair, then. Maybe offer to work later in the year when they have trouble getting cover, perhaps at a time other people dislike working? I'm not sure of your industry, but if you offer to cover bank holiday weekends, late nights etc., in tandem with an explanation that it was a gift, they might change their mind. It is their prerogative when you take holidays, but most employers are flexible when they can be.

Thanks for the help you've given great advise. I'll try plead with them hopefully they'll give it

Not really sure what the solution is then if it's not busy at the moment. Is it a case of you're on the phones?

No not on phones. The other employee is though

No not on phones. The other employee is though

It seems they're being very unfair then. It's not a case of calls not being answered or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

It could simply be that the employers doesnt want to set a precedent where two employees are allowed holidays on the same day as it means that cover is then thread bare in the event of another employee being sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

When they next look for a favour or some overtime OP, tell them you are busy or you cant commit to anything. Respect works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm requesting it 1.5 months from now. Only got the holiday form last week

In some companies leave has to be bookef a year in advance.

Whether 1.5 months is a lot or not depends on company size and policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In some companies leave has to be bookef a year in advance.

Whether 1.5 months is a lot or not depends on company size and policies.

Yep they are the companies that can't keep staff.

A year. Hilarious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement