Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hoolies

august12 wrote: »
    Could one use a Vodafone Sim in this as well, I purchased a Vodafone dongle for 50 euro with sim, topped up with 20 euro but am still within the 14 day return window,

Yes it is an unlocked dongle so can be used on any network.

Price has risen since I purchased, but this is the one I got.
    https://www.mymemory.ie/d-link-3g-mobile-broadband-wifi-hotspot-any-network-unlocked.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiA84rQBRDCARIsAPO8RFz0RBySLvKA5L29kCj5rRd7IX6wkomdKStesSpDN1y-CBUa7CxZRxsaAlkzEALw_wcB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Thank you so much for this, didn't know these existed, wonder is there a 4g option, will google, price is great and fantastic it is unlocked as have a couple of Sims with mobile broadband including the 3 UK 12GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

I was trying to top up a Three UK sim, to use in the US but it was stopped due to no UK address.

Kinda annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

the-ging wrote: »
    I was trying to top up a Three UK sim, to use in the US but it was stopped due to no UK address.

Kinda annoying.

I got around it by buying a Three credit voucher online, cant remember the exact website I just googled it.

I think the total cost of a 20 pound voucher via the website was 21.40 pounds, so you pay 1.40 for the privilege of not having a card with UK address.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mar2000

TheSheriff wrote: »
    I got around it by buying a Three credit voucher online, cant remember the exact website I just googled it.

I think the total cost of a 20 pound voucher via the website was 21.40 pounds, so you pay 1.40 for the privilege of not having a card with UK address.

I use mobiletopup.co.uk to top up mine and they email you the code. I used PayPal to pay for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Hoolies

mar2000 wrote: »
    I use mobiletopup.co.uk to top up mine and they email you the code. I used PayPal to pay for it.

Could you use a Revolut card does anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Hoolies wrote: »
    Could you use a Revolut card does anyone know?

Yea, there would be no problems using that.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Sorry to bump an old thread!

Heading to the states in two weeks and fancy having data instead of relying on wifi like I have for last few trips. Just want to make sure that the 3 UK sims ordered from here: https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-sim-packa-aio15-3000-minutes-3000-texts-5gb-data.html are still good to use over in the states?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Heading to the states in two weeks and fancy having data instead of relying on wifi like I have for last few trips. Just want to make sure that the 3 UK sims ordered from here: https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-sim-packa-aio15-3000-minutes-3000-texts-5gb-data.html are still good to use over in the states?

Cheers.

Yes still works fine for data. I am not 100% if the calls and texts can be used to non UK numbers when in US so may be of no use if wanting to call non UK. Info on three.co.uk is not too clear. That Sim you linked to is only valid for 30 days from first use, the 12gb data only for a little extra lasts a year and is better value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Cheers.

Just be aware that they use different LTE bands over there than here. Unless your phone is a international model you will most likely not be able to pick up a LTE signal. But there are a lot of factors depending on which part of America you will be in and which network you will be connected to so you may actually get a LTE signal but you most likely will not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭bliger

No need to worry about LTE band as with 3uk sim will work in 3g mode.

Just be aware that they use different LTE bands over there than here. Unless your phone is a international model you will most likely not be able to pick up a LTE signal. But there are a lot of factors depending on which part of America you will be in and which network you will be connected to so you may actually get a LTE signal but you most likely will not.

Phone is a nextbit robin bought in the states so no bother on that front. Cheers for the info though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Bought one myself last year before a US trip in August. Used about 5 GB over the 2 weeks. Fast forward to March 2018 and on a trip to Sydney, remembered I'd stuck it in my wallet. Popped SIM into phone and voila. Internet for the duration. Twas a great deal. Same SIM as the one in the link below. Obviously they've increased in popularity looking at the price :D

https://www.prepaid.com.hk/3UK-4G-3G-PAY-AS-YOU-GO-MULTI-COUNTRY-24-MONTHS-24GB-DATA-PREPAID-SIM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31 Stin

Do you know of a data sim that would work in Canada?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,640 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Heading to the States on the 23rd, wish I'd seen this thread sooner. Probably too late to order the UK sim now. Had planned on getting the t mobile tourist plan, would that be my best option now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭webpal

Yea, there would be no problems using that.

Are you saying that you buy credit from three.co.uk if you have a Revolut card? I was going to get a uk sim but the fact I couldn't top up put me off. Do you not need an address with a Revolut card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭sue97

Yes still works fine for data. I am not 100% if the calls and texts can be used to non UK numbers when in US so may be of no use if wanting to call non UK. Info on three.co.uk is not too clear. That Sim you linked to is only valid for 30 days from first use, the 12gb data only for a little extra lasts a year and is better value.

Would you link to the one you are suggesting please

M

sue97 wrote: »
    Would you link to the one you are suggesting please

This is it, works for 1 year from the time you initially use it, remember though it's data only, can not be used to make or receive phonecalls or texts, you can login on Three.co.uk when you get it to check your balance...

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭jasonhn

if your going to the states i'd suggest lyca US mobile pop into one of the small phone shops grab the sim (I'm presuming sim free phone) top up for the month

http://www.lycamobile.us/prepaid-phone-plans/l/100

the 29 plan gives free calls to Irish landlines and mobiles. Lyca US is on the T-Mobile network (GSM so should be no major phone issues) the 19 plan gives calls just to Irish landlines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Simon201

Sorry about the huge non bargain alert but I was wondering were there two April the 1st's this year when I saw this!:mad:

448579.jpeg
    https://www.virginmedia.ie/roaming/

1st option 5 minutes on FB
    2nd option stream an advert maybe

• Advertisement

This is it, works for 1 year from the time you initially use it, remember though it's data only, can not be used to make or receive phonecalls or texts, you can login on Three.co.uk when you get it to check your balance...

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

Anyone tried one of these sims in a wifi hotspot rather than a phone? I have an O2 one lying around though it's only 3G capable? Still would be very handy as could just stick it in a bag or pocket and two of us would have data everywhere we went. Also with eir wifi calling on my phone I'd be able to make and receive calls as normal for free too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭whiteley91

I have 2 set up with wifi hotspots that are used in the states and around Europe. Just be careful what hotspot you have. Most don't support the US frequencies and they need to be unlocked to accept the sim too

M

Anyone tried one of these sims in a wifi hotspot rather than a phone? I have an O2 one lying around though it's only 3G capable? Still would be very handy as could just stick it in a bag or pocket and two of us would have data everywhere we went. Also with eir wifi calling on my phone I'd be able to make and receive calls as normal for free too.

On the Three website it says you are not allowed to use it as a wifi hotspot (tethering), I've no idea if they can police this though especially as you may not be using a Three sister company in the other country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭shanec1928

used it in europe before we got the free roaming no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Morby

Sorry if I'm being thick and asking the glaringly obvious, but what's the deal with the 3 SIM's and the WiFi hotpots that can be used for free when roaming around EU and USA?

Never heard of this before, but you have me all curious now! What have I been missing out on?! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

On the Three website it says you are not allowed to use it as a wifi hotspot (tethering), I've no idea if they can police this though especially as you may not be using a Three sister company in the other country.

Back in the day they were able to detect this, but loads of apps came out that would trick it into thinking it was normal data usage. I remember getting around o2s limits on my Sony Experia X10. I haven't seen tethering split out separately on my bill for years though.

Probably a stupid question but:

My data SIM arrived from my memory today but with no instructions about how to set it up etc? Do I just wait til I land in the states to insert the sim and it will work grand, or do I have to activate it online etc beforehand?

Cheers

M

Probably a stupid question but:

My data SIM arrived from my memory today but with no instructions about how to set it up etc? Do I just wait til I land in the states to insert the sim and it will work grand, or do I have to activate it online etc beforehand?

Cheers

It should work straight in to the phone. As Ireland is one of the areas where it works as 'Like Home' it will work fine here too so no harm setting it up to see it works here first. When I got mine I logged on to Three.co.uk and setup an account while in Ireland so that I would be able to see my balance of what was left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

jasonhn wrote: »
    if your going to the states i'd suggest lyca US mobile pop into one of the small phone shops grab the sim (I'm presuming sim free phone) top up for the month

http://www.lycamobile.us/prepaid-phone-plans/l/100

the 29 plan gives free calls to Irish landlines and mobiles. Lyca US is on the T-Mobile network (GSM so should be no major phone issues) the 19 plan gives calls just to Irish landlines

If Order a sim from Lycamobile.ie can I then log onto lycamobile.us to top up the above plan, or do i need a sim from the US site?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

I have switched to eir recently, business account. Anyways it says I have 1GB of data in USA and unlimited calls and texts in the USA too? Sounds good to me? Details here - https://business.eir.ie/shop/shop-bundles/sim-mobile/?customer=new This is on the €20 per month eir Mobile Business Unlimited SIM

Advertisement