Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone use in States

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 muirsin

I used mine in an old phone too but found connection speed poor. Would send whats app message but sending pics of even low quality took lot time. Was on T mobile network automatically.
    Should I have connected to different operator ?
    Or was there some setting I should have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Hey guys, with the 3 UK sim. Does that allow me to tether from it? For instance could I put that in an old phone and turn on the hotspot to use data on my "proper" phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Has anybody has any trouble buying the SIM card from mymemory.co.uk using visa debit? Just says card payment failed. Prefer not to use PayPal if possible. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Hey guys, with the 3 UK sim. Does that allow me to tether from it? For instance could I put that in an old phone and turn on the hotspot to use data on my "proper" phone?

Didn't allow me to do it in the States :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Didn't allow me to do it in the States :(

Did allow me to on a OP3T with a Data Only Sim. My wifes phone tethered to it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭gizmo81

You can't use your phone as a personal hotspot (tethering) while you're abroad.

http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-home/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

gizmo81 wrote: »
    You can't use your phone as a personal hotspot (tethering) while you're abroad.

http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-home/

From personal experience I assure you it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The 12gb sim arrived yesterday from my memory and I popped it into the 2nd sim card slot on my LG v20. Do I need to register it? I don't seem to have 4g on it, only 'H' is this normal?

Berty wrote: »
    From personal experience I assure you it works.

Just in case though it might be worth having a back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

griffdaddy wrote: »
    The 12gb sim arrived yesterday from my memory and I popped it into the 2nd sim card slot on my LG v20. Do I need to register it? I don't seem to have 4g on it, only 'H' is this normal?

2nd sim slot is highly unlikely to be 4G, it may actually not even be 3G, sometimes they are voice and text only. I'd register, it's handy to keep tabs of how much your using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

The second sim seems to be 3g because I can get 3g data easily enough. Maybe if I switch them around I'll be able to get 4g on the UK sim and have my Irish sim on normal standby in the 2nd slot

So I want to get sim for my NYC trip.

Just wondering on MyMemory there's three different SIMs, do I need a specific one?

Also, can I just pick one up from a three store in the UK?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

gizmo81 wrote: »
    So I want to get sim for my NYC trip.

Just wondering on MyMemory there's three different SIMs, do I need a specific one?

Also, can I just pick one up from a three store in the UK?

Thanks in advance

Depends what you want it for really, there's 2 that might appeal to you...

This is the one you want for Data and works for a year...
    https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-incl-12gb-data.html

This one here has same amount of data and also includes 300 minutes and 300 texts but is only for 30 days...
    https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-sim-pack-incl-300-mins-3000-texts-and-12gb-of-data.html

Depends what you want it for really, there's 2 that might appeal to you...

This is the one you want for Data and works for a year...
    https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-incl-12gb-data.html

This one here has same amount of data and also includes 300 minutes and 300 texts but is only for 30 days...
    https://www.mymemory.ie/3-payg-4g-trio-sim-pack-incl-300-mins-3000-texts-and-12gb-of-data.html

Ah cheers thanks very much, I'm only there for three days, so really only data as that will cover a FaceTime and iMessage if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I just read this: http://www.three.co.uk/feel-at-home/

Is it true you can only use 9GB of data on PAYG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Tethering will not work with the 12gb card. Not in Florida anyway. On T-Mobile as we speak. Coverage is good enough for basic browsing, sending pics via viber/whatsapp and satnav. Well worth the money.

Tethering will not work with the 12gb card. Not in Florida anyway. On T-Mobile as we speak. Coverage is good enough for basic browsing, sending pics via viber/whatsapp and satnav. Well worth the money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

T-Mobile coverage in Central Florida is brutal, been using it for 3 weeks on a 21 day tourist package and not got 3G once, fine for email and what's app, viber but that's it, does allow me to tether though

For satnav, just download the maps you want from google maps, I took down all of Florida and was only 425mb, handy in case of no coverage and there's been plenty of that

slave1 wrote: »
    For satnav, just download the maps you want from google maps, I took down all of Florida and was only 425mb, handy in case of no coverage and there's been plenty of that

That's odd Slave, I'm based in Celebration and have travelled within a 30 mile radius for the last week. Zero issues on T-mobile apart from the absence of 3G on the odd occasion. Only really got it for iOS maps app and it's been flawless in that regard. Thank Christ, as the roadworks over here at the moment would test the most competent of drivers! Might see you for a beer in Hooters one of these days;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭bliger

Some people(me) selling slightly used three uk sims on adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Sorry folks, ive not read the whole thread. Im going to the USA for 5 days next week. Im a 3 customer. Going by the gist of the thread am i better to buy and register a 3uk pre pay sim card and use it? Im seeing 1p per mb on the three uk website and €5.08 per mb on the Irish site. Am i missing something?

rogieop wrote: »
    Sorry folks, ive not read the whole thread. Im going to the USA for 5 days next week. Im a 3 customer. Going by the gist of the thread am i better to buy and register a 3uk pre pay sim card and use it? Im seeing 1p per mb on the three uk website and €5.08 per mb on the Irish site. Am i missing something?

Just top up when you receive the sim or buy a sim already topped up. And then use it the same as if you were in the UK. Afaik it is capped at 9GB's of data so should do you fine for the 5 days.

Also it is PAYG so no hidden charges.

dodzy wrote: »
    That's odd Slave, I'm based in Celebration and have travelled within a 30 mile radius for the last week. Zero issues on T-mobile apart from the absence of 3G on the odd occasion. Only really got it for iOS maps app and it's been flawless in that regard. Thank Christ, as the roadworks over here at the moment would test the most competent of drivers! Might see you for a beer in Hooters one of these days;)

I've drove to AnnaMaria Island, Sarasota, up past Mt Dora and all around Kissimmee/South Orlando and have never knowingly seen 3G on the phone. The T-Mobile shop said I would not be able to tether but I've used my phone for hotspot for the crew a few times no issue. I have Google Maps as back up as I've a Sat Nav for longer trips and now know most of the roads around Kissimmee/Orlando so don't really need road assistance anymore, I use the Disney roads mostly to avoid the I4 and 192.
    Enjoy the rest of your trip, we're home Tuesday and doubt I'll see you in Hooters, Waffle House maybe 🐷

Just top up when you receive the sim or buy a sim already topped up. And then use it the same as if you were in the UK. Afaik it is capped at 9GB's of data so should do you fine for the 5 days.

Also it is PAYG so no hidden charges.

is there a certain amount to top up by to avail of the offer?

rogieop wrote: »
    is there a certain amount to top up by to avail of the offer?

How are you planning on getting a UK 3 simcard if you are going to America next week?

At the top of this page is links on where to buy preloaded credit simcards. I do not know if you order will you get it on time though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

How are you planning on getting a UK 3 simcard if you are going to America next week?

At the top of this page is links on where to buy preloaded credit simcards. I do not know if you order will you get it on time though.

Newry is where I got mine,an hour or less by car from Dublin? Bought it in the three store in the big shopping centre off the town end of the old Dublin road
    They topped it up by the required €15 and applied the plan needed for the data

i live 10 mins from newry..

Newry is where I got mine,an hour or less by car from Dublin? Bought it in the three store in the big shopping centre off the town end of the old Dublin road
    They topped it up by the required €15 and applied the plan needed for the data

I suppose but I was thinking more in line if it was me and trying to get to Newry as I live in Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

I suppose but I was thinking more in line if it was me and trying to get to Newry as I live in Mayo.

Ah you'd probably head to carphone warehouse in Enniskillen?

Advertisement