Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Liverpool k/o 4pm Jan 15th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Read of the past few pages. Genuine Lol at some posts.

Went to the pub for the first time in a while when United V Pool where playing and as usually it's a trainwreck.

Football is a headwreck to watch with bias fans, at one stage I turned to my mate and said '' You literally said it wasn't a foul the other way'' '' Yeh but I'm bias so want it for United'' Brain dead. Will never understand the logic of it.

Decent game as a neutral. Probably the worst I've seen Pogba play in a United Jersey, should have been sent off for Foul on Henderson/Handball.

United poor first half but as expected came into it 2nd half. Pogba would have been subbed had he not cost so much money.

Coutinho looked good when he came on again. First time seeing that liverpool RB playing and didn't think much of him but apparently meant to be decent (?) Can't judge him on one game especially on such a big occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Pogba was poor today no doubt. But the 'waste of money' comments make me laugh. He's been exceptional most season long. The point scoring here by rival fans makes me realise why I tend to avoid these match threads. Football knowledge isn't needed when there's a chance to get the petty digs in.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.He's been excellent in some games and pretty good overall but he's well off being exceptional all season long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration.He's been excellent in some games and pretty good overall but he's well off being exceptional all season long.

Agree with this. Above average overall throughout the season i'd have thought. Still nowhere near that pricetag but then again I don't think he ever will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Pogba was poor today no doubt. But the 'waste of money' comments make me laugh. He's been exceptional most season long. The point scoring here by rival fans makes me realise why I tend to avoid these match threads. Football knowledge isn't needed when there's a chance to get the petty digs in.

You've gone too far the other way now, he was poor for a lot of games at the start of the season (Utd fans all commenting about what's his best role, how will we get the best out of him etc..) and has played a few very good games lately before todays sh1tshow. All in all about 6/10 for the season and nowhere near playing to the price tag he came with. Best mid in the league or one of the best in the world looks miles off tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,631 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Read of the past few pages. Genuine Lol at some posts.

Went to the pub for the first time in a while when United V Pool where playing and as usually it's a trainwreck.

Football is a headwreck to watch with bias fans, at one stage I turned to my mate and said '' You literally said it wasn't a foul the other way'' '' Yeh but I'm bias so want it for United'' Brain dead. Will never understand the logic of it.

Decent game as a neutral. Probably the worst I've seen Pogba play in a United Jersey, should have been sent off for Foul on Henderson/Handball.

United poor first half but as expected came into it 2nd half. Pogba would have been subbed had he not cost so much money.

Coutinho looked good when he came on again. First time seeing that liverpool RB playing and didn't think much of him but apparently meant to be decent (?) Can't judge him on one game especially on such a big occasion.

The RB is 18 and making his first start and did ok against Martial who was taken off . On pogba I thought he was on his way to a card for persistent fouling in the first half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If 14 wins in your last 15, or whatever Chelsea's record is, is considered turmoil, then turmoil seems like a pretty desirable state to be in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Didn't see the game today but I think 65 minutes without Mata is wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I did say 'most' season. He's still very young and having to live up to a stupid price tag that he has no control over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

Amid all this petty bickering, I for one would like to congratulate man utd on reaching the magical 40 point mark and ensuring premier league football will be played at old Trafford next season.
    Well done, lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I wonder will these two teams meet in Wembley?

I hope they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

martyos121 wrote: »
    Only thing funnier than Sky's biased presentation today is some of the United fans on here. All the good ones must be in the pub.

Both fans are as bad as each other. It's like they go back 10 years in age every time this match is on.

I did say 'most' season. He's still very young and having to live up to a stupid price tag that he has no control over.

But he hasn't been close to exceptional most season.I'd say he's been OK most season and exceptional in a few games.About a 6 or 7 out of ten grade for the season for me.He'll never live up to the price tag because I doubt he'll ever become one of the top 3 or 4 players in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

But he hasn't been close to exceptional most season.I'd say he's been OK most season and exceptional in a few games.About a 6 or 7 out of ten grade for the season for me.He'll never live up to the price tag because I doubt he'll ever become one of the top 3 or 4 players in the world.

He's 23 and considered to be one of the best midfielders in the world. His best is yet to come. If he's at United in 7 years time I think we will be looking back thinking he was well worth the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

He's 23 and considered to be one of the best midfielders in the world. His best is yet to come. If he's at United in 7 years time I think we will be looking back thinking he was well worth the money.

At Pogba's age Zidane was still playing for Marseille in a poor French league developing his game and nobody would claim he wasn't a valid world record signing.

Pogba has glaring flaws at the moment but he has almost unlimited upside, he could turn into anything by the time he hits his peak (including potentially a disappointment).

It's completely unfair to assess his career when it has barely started.

At Pogba's age Zidane was still playing for Marseille in a poor French league developing his game and nobody would claim he wasn't a valid world record signing.

Pogba has glaring flaws at the moment but he has almost unlimited upside, he could turn into anything by the time he hits his peak (including potentially a disappointment).

Pogba's career has not barely started though.This is his 5th season as a starter in a top European league he's played almost 50 games in europe already and over 200 club games overall.

People are assessing Pogba's season and so far he's been fine but nothing more than that.

Zinedine Zidane never played for Marseille and he signed for Juve when he was 24 which is what Pogba will be in a couple of months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Hanging out with Fellaini too long if you ask me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Pogba's career has not barely started though.This is his 5th season as a starter in a top European league he's played almost 50 games in europe already and over 200 club games overall.

People are assessing Pogba's season and so far he's been fine but nothing more than that.

Zinedine Zidane never played for Marseille and he signed for Juve when he was 24 which is what Pogba will be in a couple of months.

And he still drifted in and out of games for June and later Madrid at times. The fee United paid for Pogba is clouding people's judgement of him a bit. He's neither World class yet or mediocre. He's a very good midfielder with a high ceiling for potential improvement. But even when he does reach his potential, he will still drop out of games at times. As a reference closer to home, Ronaldo only really hit big form at around 23/24 and he's one of the greatest players ever. Prior to that his form mirrors Pogba's a bit. Lashings of talent but inconsistent and struggled to put it all together even within one game.

Basically, give him time and forget the transfer fee at this stage.

Sorry Bordeaux, but the point stands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Pogba be mentioned in the same breath as Zidane?

Lads log off and go to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

And he still drifted in and out of games for June and later Madrid at times. The fee United paid for Pogba is clouding people's judgement of him a bit. He's neither World class yet or mediocre. He's a very good midfielder with a high ceiling for potential improvement. But even when he does reach his potential, he will still drop out of games at times. As a reference closer to home, Ronaldo only really hit big form at around 23/24 and he's one of the greatest players ever. Prior to that his form mirrors Pogba's a bit. Lashings of talent but inconsistent and struggled to put it all together even within one game.

Basically, give him time and forget the transfer fee at this stage.

Pogba needs someone like Alonso or a Pirlo beside him who will allow him to go and do what he needs.

If you give Pogba space he'll ping balls around the field all day. Put him under pressure and he starts to get sloppy but as he matures I'm sure he'll calm down a little under pressure and find that space for himself even if he is pressed.

• Advertisement

Potentially of course. Right now he is nowhere near that level.

Good point and well made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Pogba needs someone like Alonso or a Pirlo beside him who will allow him to go and do what he needs.

If you give Pogba space he'll ping balls around the field all day. Put him under pressure and he starts to get sloppy but as he matures I'm sure he'll calm down a little under pressure and find that space for himself even if he is pressed.

He is a solid player but massively overrated. Give me time and £300,000 a week and I'll ping all the balls you want anywhere.

That's exactly my point, Pogba is way ahead of where Zidane was at 23, as you have agreed Zidane hadn't made it out of Ligue 1, Pogba has been playing in top leagues for quite a while.

Potentially of course. Right now he is nowhere near that level.

I don't think he'll quiet get to his level because aesthetically he won't ever get close to Zidane who is one of the most beautiful players to watch in the history of the game.However he will prove to be a top class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I don't disagree with anything you say, all I'd comment is that typically you pay world record prices for the finished world class article. The problem with potential is that after a hundred "next Messis" there is still only one Messi. Ronaldo had realised his potential before he was sold to Real Madrid. Bale was patently world class before he was sold. Ditto Suarez.

It's unfair to assess his career when he's still developing, but it's fair comment to remark that paying huge, huge money for a might-be is an eye-wateringly risky business. The downside is that he ends up getting sold for tens of millions less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Mane scored for Senegal tonight. Add that to the one from Milner and Liverpool win 2:1 today

Duck Soup wrote: »
    I don't disagree with anything you say, all I'd comment is that typically you pay world record prices for the finished world class article. The problem with potential is that after a hundred "next Messis" there is still only one Messi. Ronaldo had realised his potential before he was sold to Real Madrid. Bale was patently world class before he was sold. Ditto Suarez.

It's unfair to assess his career when he's still developing, but it's fair comment to remark that paying huge, huge money for a might-be is an eye-wateringly risky business. The downside is that he ends up getting sold for tens of millions less.

No you're right, unlimited upside and downside with him. He could turn into anything.

That's exactly my point, Pogba is way ahead of where Zidane was at 23, as you have agreed Zidane hadn't made it out of Ligue 1, Pogba has been playing in top leagues for quite a while.

I'm counting Pogba as 24 as he turns that age this season, which is what Zidane was when he made his big move also players in the 1990's stayed for longer in the so called lesser leagues than they do now so Zidane still being in France at 23 is no slight on him.Also Ligue 1 was a pretty good league in the 1990's.

I'm counting Pogba as 24 as he turns that age this season, which is what Zidane was when he made his big move also players in the 1990's stayed for longer in the so called lesser leagues than they do now so Zidane still being in France at 23 is no slight on him.Also Ligue 1 was a pretty good league in the 1990's.

I'm counting him as 22 because that's what he was last season.

• Advertisement

A lot of folk including many Utd fans on here agreed Pogba was overrated at the beginning of the summer iirc.

He hasn't lit the world on fire since. Conclusion - Still overrated.

Duck Soup wrote: »

Except it was far less of a risk than the price United paid for Rooney, or Ferdinand or Veron. Pogba cost a fraction of United's annual turnover over, less than all the players I mentioned above. United could do a Pogba every summer, same as they used to be able to do a 30 million pounder. Risk is all relative.

Ok he's 23 but let's pretend he's 24, that's reasonable never mind the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Yeah Klopp it was snooker, what an idiot he is

It was long passes..

• Easy narrative for this type of post ^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It was long passes..

Long passes what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The most expensive squad in the history of football are basically 80's Wimbledon in 2017.

Fash the bash and Vinny would be proud.

• Advertisement

Time to exit the thread before it's dragged down to the very basics of arguing with no points whatsoever.

Eh...Fellaini came on so... uhm... that means it was hoofball...duh.

Long passes what?

When Fellani came on Utd played long passes to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Except it was far less of a risk than the price United paid for Rooney, or Ferdinand or Veron. Pogba cost a fraction of United's annual turnover over, less than all the players I mentioned above. United could do a Pogba every summer, same as they used to be able to do a 30 million pounder. Risk is all relative.

True, although I would point out that there's a difference between turnover and profit. In 2016, turnover at Man Utd was over £515m but wages alone were over £200m. The actual operating profit was £69m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Easy narrative for this type of post ^

Talk about fabricating narratives
    Very bitter from klopp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,497 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Long passes what?

Long passes to Walters. Goal for Ireland!

Hopefully that'll settle the thread down a bit. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

50th game between the 'Pool and United in the premier league era!

United W 27 D 10 L 13

Liverpool W 13 D 10 L. 27

• Advertisement

United W 27 D 10 L 13

Have they ever played in Europe?;)

I'm counting him as 22 because that's what he was last season.

For the sake of this argument I'm counting him as 24 as that is the age he turns this season.Sometimes sports when analyzing a players career use the age the player turns as the age for that season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭6am7f9zxrsjvnb

Have they ever played in Europe?;)

I forgot FA Cup finals too😉

I forgot FA Cup finals too😉
    Yes and league cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

United W 27 D 10 L 13

13 wins is pretty impressive considering
    Arsenal who have won Premier League titles have less
    Liverpool have been in a dormant state for a lot of those years
    Tables have turned now though. We are looking down table at United,not up .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement