Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United v Liverpool k/o 4pm Jan 15th

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

For the sake of this argument I'm counting him as 24 as that is the age he turns this season.Sometimes sports when analyzing a players career use the age the player turns as the age for that season.

You're counting him as 24 because it helps you build a false argument. The fact of the matter is Pogba remains younger than Zidane was when Zidane went to Juve yet Pogba has won 4 Serie A titles as a key part of the Juve sides in question. At Pogba's age Zidane had done nothing of note so the idea that Pogba should be further along the developmental curve than he is is laughable.

I've never came across this convention of rounding up a players age either, it's bizarre to just throw another year onto him because it suits you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Just had a wee flick through the thread there. Ye Liverpool fans should be ashamed of yourselves the amount of crying ye were at there. Your complex was in absolute overdrive. A jammy goal and it was pretty much the only decent thing you created but still non stop crying the whole game. Pathetic stuff but standard from ye at this stage.

13 wins is pretty impressive considering
    Arsenal who have won Premier League titles have less
    Liverpool have been in a dormant state for a lot of those years
    Tables have turned now though. We are looking down table at United,not up .

Last four league games how many have you won and lost?

Rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Jayop wrote: »
    Just had a wee flick through the thread there. Ye Liverpool fans should be ashamed of yourselves the amount of crying ye were at there. Your complex was in absolute overdrive. A jammy goal and it was pretty much the only decent thing you created but still non stop crying the whole game. Pathetic stuff but standard from ye at this stage.

Stop acting like your "side" is any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Let the man rant in peace.

Read back through the thread. It was completely one sided in the complex stakes.

I'm talking about during the game. I didn't bother to read post game.

Let the man rant in peace.

There was more than enough ranting from pool fans during the game that my little contribution won't make much of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Read back through the thread. It was completely one sided in the complex stakes.

I'm talking about during the game. I didn't bother to read post game.

Of course it was one sided... United got everyt decision bar the peno which he had to give. Ref was shocking.

Gtfi ymfcs :)

Did anyone decipher this one at all?

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Of course it was one sided... United got everyt decision bar the peno which he had to give. Ref was shocking.

Complex is triggered I see.

What absolute rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Any victory you can get lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Just had a wee flick through the thread there. Ye Liverpool fans should be ashamed of yourselves the amount of crying ye were at there. Your complex was in absolute overdrive. A jammy goal and it was pretty much the only decent thing you created but still non stop crying the whole game.

Firmino and Wijnaldum x 2 all had good chances in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Firmino and Wijnaldum x 2 all had good chances in the 2nd half.

When United were going for the win and over committing players.

United outplayed Liverpool for the vast majority of the game, Liverpool parked the bus in the second half and started the time wasting as early as 20 minutes out.

Liverpool were missing 3 big players which probably contributed to Klopps ugly tactics, understandable. In the end a draw was fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

United outplayed Liverpool for the vast majority of the game,

In the end a draw was fair.

Do you even logic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The desperation for some to point score is hilarious.

Utd were ordinary, as were Liverpool. Both got a point, without really being any good.

Liverpool got their goal because of Pogba's stupidity. Utd made the bulk of their chances after naivety from Liverpool's right back, Arnold.

Utd piled forward, but there was no nuance. But that's what you always get from José. I don't know why people get their knickers in a twist over it. He goes direct. It's what he always has done, always does and always will do. He gets the ball up the pitch, and tries to play in the opposition half by winning the second ball. Klopp needn't have laboured on the point of 'long ball' in his post match but he's playing to our fans, just like José does when he says Liverpool were playing 'defensive football'. Soundbites for the tribes, and many take the bait.

Liverpool then made some good chances while Utd were pushing. That's the beauty of getting in front. You can play on the counter. José would've done the exact same. So again, José slagging us for defensive football is ridiculous, and only designed to play to Utd's supporters.

A draw is fair. And as I said before, I don't see how either set of supporters can be that annoyed at the result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

SlickRic, your logic-based fair and true appraisal of yesterday is not welcome here. Away with yourself.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Who is your favourite of the 90s Gladiators?
    Im going to take a guess:
    2B5B1F1B00000578-3197641-image-m-27_1439547366124.jpg

lovely to see all the usual heads scoring points. Im still totally wrong about the supporting culture of Irish Man Utd fans though, aren't I? Its just crazy talk! :p

The game was a draw. Neither side did enough to win. Neither side looked nearly as good as Spurs and Chelsea this weekend either. So what exactly is there to gain here? Ahhh yes, a narrative on who played better in the draw in order to make yourselves feel better. Also veiled insults towards members of certain clubs in order to get cheap digs in. That is what you are doing. That is your level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

SlickRic's summary hits the nail on the head and would be apt (IMO) to close the thread on that note.

You're crying about other people crying. Cryception?

Anyway, what you're really trying to say is neither team team did enough to win or lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

United v Liverpool games are usually poor spectacles and this was no different. The importance of the game and the build up is often too much for the players. It's usually very tentative and edgy and the football is dire. It's like international football in many ways.

I don't think any player was very good yesterday. I was impressed with Firmino who I hadn't really seen a lot of before and was sceptical of why he gets praise. But I thought he was the best player on the pitch. He looked like the only leader on the pitch too and definitely think he is future captain material for Liverpool. Maybe Liverpool fans would have a different opinion on that and of course I'm only basing it on one game, but I thought he was so strong and everything he did was positive and he seemed to embrace the occasion more than any other player.

On the other side we had Pogba who was a disgrace to be honest and I'd be very worried about his ability to be influential and productive on a consistent basis. He seems to be a bit of a fairy and even though he has great talent he doesn't seem to want to work hard. Even during this great run, when he played better he wasn't really doing a lot more than other players. Someone in the United thread called him the best midfielder in the world and if that's the case then I feel sad for football.

I can't see United getting into the top four to be honest, even though in most seasons they'd be easily good enough. The fact is we are not clinical enough and I don't think that is a problem that can be resolved overnight. We will beat most teams at OT but I don't see us winning away to the teams in the top 6 and I think we have 3 of those games. Chelsea are certainties for top four. Tottenham look a better side than United and already have a good lead on us. Arsenal should have enough and in Giroud they have a guy who is getting them points they wouldn't have got in previous seasons. Liverpool have a lot of games at home and they look good despite their recent slump.

So, despite the good run I just don't think United are better than those teams and in fact we haven't even played well for a few weeks in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I enjoyed the game anyway, it was one long 45 minutes as a Liverpool fan though. Massively devoid of quality but its two giants in one of the biggest rivalries in football. Two world class managers going head to head, its a great battle.

Liverpool didn't do enough to win it until United scored so a draw was a fair result. United had the better chances and Mignolet had probably his best game yet.

I'm happy with the point, Klopp once again showing that he's not this one trick ball out attacking football madman, the man is very tactically astute. Unbeaten against the Top 6, if we could stop dropping points to the lesser sides we could still make a late charge for Chelsea.

BTW Pogba is a disgrace, he has no respect for his opponent, none. He should stick to the bad haircuts, don't think he's a proper baller. Astonishing United paid so much for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

rob316 wrote: »

BTW Pogba is a disgrace, he has no respect for his opponent, none. He should stick to the bad haircuts, don't think he's a proper baller. Astonishing United paid so much for him.

Care to explain why he is a disgrace and lack of respect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

Liverpool did well to crowd Pogba out of the game. He obviously got frustrated with it, and had a poor game. Happens to everyone, even the best players.

Your comment is overblown, similar to the incident where he swung Henderson to the ground. Players routinely tangle at corners and players often end up on the ground. More is being made of this because of who the opponents were. It was a possible yellow card, nothing more.

marvin80 wrote: »

LOL, things are bad when we're getting trolled by Ken Early

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Care to explain why he is a disgrace and lack of respect?

Zero work rate, an arrogance about him like he's actually accomplished something in the game. Catching Henderson by the neck for no reason and throwing him to the ground, he did the same to Allen.

Whatever though he's United's player, he's not even remotely world class for the fee ye paid.

Lol you serious? An article criticism of a manager playing long passes against a team that was sitting back in the end on hitting on the break is a good article?

If jose had to bring on rashford with 15 minutes to go where was he going to go? Where could. He run? Liverpool were sitting back and pressing high which was working perfect for them and we weren't going to get threw.

I for one comend jose for been able change from passing to been more direct if he couldn't do that we would of lost the game simple as.

an arrogance about him like he's actually accomplished something in the game

Do his four league titles not count?

Zero work rate, an arrogance about him like he's actually accomplished something in the game. Catching Henderson by the neck for no reason and throwing him to the ground, he did the same to Allen.

Whatever though he's United's player, he's not even remotely world class for the fee ye paid.

Yesterday was one game pogba has won us more points this season then he has lost us the club are as much to blame as him for putting attention on him with the advertising.

He may not be world class yet but he is a top young midfielder that will get better he has an amazing work rate he is constantly one of our best runners at closing down in midfield again your judging him on one off game.

Holding Henderson is not a lack of disrespect it goes on in the game all the the time he may of put in a little extra effort but it wasn't out of disrespect it was more frustration then anything.

If he was 30m would he be anywhere near remotely world class?

• Advertisement

Lol you serious? An article criticism of a manager playing long passes against a team that was sitting back in the end on hitting on the break is a good article?

If jose had to bring on rashford with 15 minutes to go where was he going to go? Where could. He run? Liverpool were sitting back and pressing high which was working perfect for them and we weren't going to get threw.

I for one comend jose for been able change from passing to been more direct if he couldn't do that we would of lost the game simple as.

He makes some valid points in the "Highest Wages" section - United seem to have made this great progression this season yet still languish in 6th position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Jose should have refused to change the playing style and stuck to his original gameplan no matter what, just like Van Gaal before him did so well and just like Pep is having so much success with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

Rashford has done the business before against teams who were sitting back, so I don't really see why he couldn't do it again. But Fellaini worked to an extent yesterday so it is pointless criticising.

He makes some valid points in the "Highest Wages" section - United seem to have made this great progression this season yet still languish in 6th position.

No he don't he is judging a team on what they are paying before the season is over.. He compaired two season by the amount of points we are from the top and top four but we look more likely to finish top four this year then we did last season under lvg.

We are 5 points off 2nd place that is hardley what you would call languishing in sixth.

Rashford has done the business before against teams who were sitting back, so I don't really see why he couldn't do it again. But Fellaini worked to an extent yesterday so it is pointless criticising.

Yeh rashford has done it to be fair but just the way Liverpool were playing i dont feel he would of had the time and space. I would of brought on rashford at 60 minutes and let him get into the game more but as you say Fellaini worked so he was right to make the sub as he has been alot this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    LOL, things are bad when we're getting trolled by Ken Early

Had no idea Ken Early had managerial experience.

Has he won anything?

No he don't he is judging a team on what they are paying before the season is over.. He compaired two season by the amount of points we are from the top and top four but we look more likely to finish top four this year then we did last season under lvg.

We are 5 points off 2nd place that is hardley what you would call languishing in sixth.

6th is 6th, you can butter it up as much as you want. Finish there after 38 games and its 6th, you can be five points off 2nd, it doesn't matter.

United are currently not better than the 5 teams above them, you fully deserve your position in the table.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Last four league games how many have you won and lost?

Rubbish.

Last 4 league games we've won 2 and lost none. 1 defeat in 19 league games, 2 all season so far.

What's your point again?

6th is 6th, you can butter it up as much as you want. Finish there after 38 games and its 6th, you can be five points off 2nd, it doesn't matter.

United are currently not better than the 5 teams above them, you fully deserve your position in the table.

Thankfully no league positions are decided in January

As much as no league is won in October or November ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Man City spent more money during the Summer and have gotten progressively worse while United have improved with every week until this game. Suddenly the out of date narrative from 2 or 3 months ago is back.

Lazy from Ken who I have a lot of time for. Liverpool's biggest strength is their press which was fantastic for the game and being very underrated in the discussion of the game. United have a height advantage so was the most practical change that could be made.

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    Last 4 league games we've won 2 and lost none. 1 defeat in 19 league games, 2 all season so far.

What's your point again?

Given the context of the post I quoted I clearly meant the last four league games against United.

5starpool wrote: »

What's your point again?

don't feed him. there's a forum award for this guy at the end of the season for talking the most **** in one thread.

Liam O wrote: »
    Man City spent more money during the Summer and have gotten progressively worse while United have improved with every week until this game. Suddenly the out of date narrative from 2 or 3 months ago is back.

Lazy from Ken who I have a lot of time for. Liverpool's biggest strength is their press which was fantastic for the game and being very underrated in the discussion of the game. United have a height advantage so was the most practical change that could be made.

I'm not overly impressed by some of the fittest players in football been able to close down a team.

It went like this

Liverpool press.
    Liverpool Long ball
    Liverpool park the bus.

But United are muck for trying to adapt to the game and going direct.
    If hoofball is such a basic concept, why is a team who consider themselves title contenders not able to deal with it?

There's a never ending amount of ways to win a football and to not attempt to try as many as you can as a game progresses is just naive.

He's comparing United this season against the top teams with United last season - not City.
    United have better players this season but have not fared well against the top teams - this is the difference between 6th place and top 4 place.

If United were in this position with a manager other than Mourinho would the United fans be satisfied?

He's right about Mourinho being the better 'front-man' than Van Gaal as well. That's one of Mourinho's weapons - the mind games.

don't feed him. there's a forum award for this guy at the end of the season for talking the most **** in one thread.

Yer man that was feeding me wasn't even able to read a post right so maybe he should get a special award too?

As another poster has already said titles and league positions are not decided on January it is a 38 game season ans yes we do deserve to be where we are because we had a bad run of games a few months ago but we have taken 19 points from 21 in last seven games that's a massive improvement in form and I'm happy with that as are most united fans if we keep close to that form going we will be fine come the end of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ken Early is a Pool fan.

I dont get the criticism, every team plays long ball at times, Utd didnt set out to play long ball but in the last few minutes the need to go long was evident, Liverpool, who like any team in that situation were comfortable to soak up pressure and sit back and the direct route is usually the default operation for most teams playing against a team sitting back.

Every team does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Liverpool's biggest strength is their press which was fantastic for the game and being very underrated in the discussion of the game. United have a height advantage so was the most practical change that could be made.

Away with your common sense !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Liverpool beat Boro 0-3 in the second half by specifically going long - the home side had decided to crowd and press Liverpool's midfield and did so with some success. At HT Klopp clearly said something so in the second half Klavan and Mig went long searching out Origi who ran the channels having swapped with Firmino.

• Advertisement

Liverpool beat Boro 0-3 in the second half by specifically going long - the home side had decided to crowd and press Liverpool's midfield and did so with some success. At HT Klopp clearly said something so in the second half Klavan and Mig went long searching out Origi who ran the channels having swapped with Firmino.

But But...klopp is a modern, progressive manager. So that's fine.

It's only if you're an out of touch old timer when it's an issue

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement