Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chimney cleaning

Options
  • 13-01-2017 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭

How often should it be cleaned ? I use it regularly as it has a back boiler to heat the house and I burn logs and coal. How often should I get it cleaned ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

It depends on how smoky your fire is. Some stoves are quite efficient and don't release a lot of unburned hydrocarbons which is what sticks to the chimney and can cause a chimney fire. When was the last time it was cleaned?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

It depends on how smoky your fire is. Some stoves are quite efficient and don't release a lot of unburned hydrocarbons which is what sticks to the chimney and can cause a chimney fire. When was the last time it was cleaned?

Don't know when it was last cleaned but definitely not in the last 2 years since we moved in

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cjmc wrote: »
    Don't know when it was last cleaned but definitely not in the last 2 years since we moved in

I think once a year was the way? when I was burning turf... not worth risking a chimney fire for that cost. I have had two in my life and they are not a happy occasion.

Oh I googled it and some say once a year, some twice.

Here you go!

http://borustoves.ie/blog/clean-my-chimney/

I had one landlord who insisted it was law already.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭crock!

If you have a flexible liner then twice a year for sure.but if you feel your useing it a lot then do it twice a year.think of it like a car.if you put up big millage then you service it twice a year.a sweep is cheaper than the fire brigade and better safe than sorry

Advertisement