Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light & Accurate Bolt Action Rifle

• 13-01-2017 12:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm looking for opinions on your experience re. use of a light, accurate bolt action rifle.
    It's intended use is for shoulder slung, all-day hunting/trekking.
    At the moment, I'm not sure if I want to add a scope, so will possibly be just using iron sights.
    (I'm not going down the route of a takedown/pack rifle).
    Thanks and regards,
    GR.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What is your target weight for the rifle? Are you willing to make upgrades, i.e. buy a carbon fibre stock? What calibre do you want or put another way, do you care about recoil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

.22 lr with or without scope,carry it all day long,accurate out to 80 yards,more if you learn bullet drop,no recoil,cheap as chips to feed,i have a cz and love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

CZ 452/453/455 with standard stock & barrel. Not the drop stock if you intend to add a scope.

One of the most accurate rifles out of the box and one of the cheapest on the Irish market. Add a small lightweight SWAT 3-9x32mm/44mm scope off E-bay for €50 and your all sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

what do you plan on hunting.. and what caliber do you want.. i would not advise anybody to hunt with iron sights for the sake of the quarry you intend to try and kill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

CZ 452 / 455

The 452 is the older model but an absolutely cracking rifle. I love mine.
    455 is meant to be good also.

You'll get a second hand 452, mod, scope and bi-pod for between 300-600
    A new 455 with the kit would be probably from 500 up.

Balistech in wexford are doing a new 455 in either .22 or .17 for €399

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Ghost Recon

Hi all!
    Thanks for the replies!
    Apologies, I should have stated that the calibre I use is .22 and the target weight of the rifle I was hoping for was approximately 5lbs.
    Yes, the synthetic stock CZ 455 looks very attractive alright.
    Thanks for the heads up re. Ballistech! I may well give them a call!
    Also, noted re. scope versus iron sights re. a humane kill - good point!
    Regards,
    GR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Any of the Anchutz models or Sako. But for affordability cz, don't know enough about savage or marlin.

The old ruger 77/22 or 77/17 were meant to be good accurate rifles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

You might pick up a s/h BRNO .22 without kit relatively cheap - I've a Model 2, shoots straight, not heavy.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement