Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2017 African Cup of Nations

• 13-01-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭

This starts tomorrow live games and highlights on Eurosport

Group A
    Gabon
    Guinea-Bissau
    Burkina Faso
    Cameroon

Group B
    Algeria
    Tunisia
    Senegal
    Zimbabwe

Group C
    Côte d'Ivoire
    DR Congo
    Morocco
    Togo

Group D
    Ghana
    Mali
    Egypt
    Uganda

Fixtures
    Jan 14th

Gabon V Guinea-Bissau
    Burkina Faso V Cameroon

Jan 15th
    Algeria V Zimbabwe
    Tunisia V Senegal

Jan 16th
    Côte d'Ivoire V Togo
    DR Congo V Morocco

Jan 17th
    Ghana V Uganda
    Mali V Egypt

Jan 18th
    Gabon V Burkina Faso
    Cameroon V Guinea-Bissau

Jan 19th
    Algeria V Tunisia
    Senegal V Zimbabwe

Jan 20th
    Côte d'Ivoire V DR Congo
    Morocco V Togo

Jan 21st
    Ghana V Mali
    Egypt V Uganda

Jan 22nd
    Cameroon V Gabon
    Guinea-Bissau V Burkina Faso

Jan 23rd
    Senegal V Algeria
    Zimbabwe V Tunisia

Jan 24th
    Morocco V Côte d'Ivoire
    Togo V DR Congo

Quarter Finals
    Jan 28th
    Match 1

1st Group A V 2nd Group B
    Match 3
    1st Group B V 2nd Group A

Jan 29th
    Match 2

1st Group D V 2nd Group C
    Match 4
    1st Group C V 2nd Group D

Semi Final
    Feb 1st
    Match 5

Winner Match 1 V Winner Match 2

Feb 2nd
    Match 6

Winner Match 3 V winner Match 4

Third Place Play-off
    Feb 4th

Loser Match 5 V Loser Match 6

Final
    Feb 5th

Winner Match 5 V Winner Match 6

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Morocco missing a lot of attack minded players and still Ziyech was left at home.
    Hope they go out after the group, need El Ahmadi back at Feyenoord.

If there is 1 job for Fifa it should be this tournament going to the summer months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

inforfun wrote: »
    If there is 1 job for Fifa it should be this tournament going to the summer months.

Hear Hear, and make it 4 years instead of 2 years, it's absolutely ridiculous that players can be taken away from clubs for an extended period every two years to facilitate this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,335 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Morocco missing a lot of attack minded players and still Ziyech was left at home.
    Hope they go out after the group, need El Ahmadi back at Feyenoord.

Have it in the summer time June or July limits the countries that can host it.

Like Gabon is on the equator could you imagine the fuss caused if this was played in the summer.

Every 4 years would be better

sugarman wrote: »
    Then it interferes with the Confederations Cup, in which the winner of the ACON competes.

Also, the majority of African players are home based anyway in which their league has a break.

Just because theres a handfull of lads playing in europe doesnt mean they should adjust their schedule.

You are a bit wrong there. (Dutch site, having the numbers)

Ligue 1 losing 34 players
    EPL >>>> 22
    Ligue 2 >>>> 18
    Serie A 13
    Primera 11
    Bundesliga 7

Lille in Ligue 1 is without 5 players this month.

I consider that more than a hand full.
    Have it in the summer time June or July limits the countries that can host it.

Like Gabon is on the equator could you imagine the fuss caused if this was played in the summer.

Every 4 years would be better

Would that be much different to Holland - Mexico in Forteleza? Or those matches in Manaus? It is a big ass continent, pretty sure there must be places having that tournament in january isnt exactly ideal either.
    Poverty limits the countries than can organise is more than climate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I also think Jan/Feb is used because of the weather/temperature in some African countries.

No reason the Africans should use a European schedule just to suit the EPL

• Advertisement

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »
    I also think Jan/Feb is used because of the weather/temperature in some African countries.

It is like people don't know there is other club schedules around the World and not every country follows the August to May/June league schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Hear Hear, and make it 4 years instead of 2 years, it's absolutely ridiculous that players can be taken away from clubs for an extended period every two years to facilitate this.

Presumably the few quid that filters down to grass roots (after the CAF people have wet their beaks) is what keeps football going at a low level /schoolboy level in Africa - as I doubt the likes of the Nigerian or Cameroon governments are doing much to administer leagues or make sure the councils maintain pitches.
    So ironically if you reduce the income from this tournament (by running it at a different time and/or halving its frequency) then you may affect African football such that in future there won't be as many Sadio Mane's or Eric Baillys in your club anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The equator has the same weather all year, no seasons, no mad temperature fluctuations (apart from dropping when it rains)

Link
    Near the Equator there is little distinction between summer, winter, autumn, or spring. The temperatures are usually high year-round—with the exception of high mountains in South America and in Africa. (See Andes and Mount Kilimanjaro.) The temperature at the Equator can plummet during rainstorms. In many tropical regions people identify two seasons: the wet season and the dry season,

In fact, places further north or south would be the issue, Egypt for example, can get extremely warm in the summer, but at the moment it can be under ten degrees some days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Is it now a mandatory red for Witchcraft? :pac:

sugarman wrote: »
    Theres 368 players competing in the competition, 103 from the above. So less than 30%.

Its annoying but thats life, clubs know it when they sign African players.

Ok.

Belgian 1st league > 14
    Turkey Super league > 15
    Dutch league > 4 (or 5)

Dont have figures of Eastern European leagues where there are quite a few African players active as well.
    There is one playing in Malta even.
    All added up i think we are not far from 50% not playing on that continent but in leagues that are now in action.

It is annoying, yes.
    It is not necessary to have this tournament bi-annual and in the winter though. Copa America and the Gold Cup are held in "our" summer too after all.

Edit:

Well, **** me....
    Link i posted actually does give the full numbers
    Liefst 238 spelers verdienen hun brood in Europa, waar 104 deelnemers actief zijn in Afrika.

tr: No less than 238 players earn their living in Europe as where 104 are playing in Africa

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Tom.D.BJJ wrote: »

It is like people don't know there is other club schedules around the World and not every country follows the August to May/June league schedule

Ironic on an Irish website

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

SO,b4 it kicks off, who is every ones fancy? Without knowing too much i"ll go for Egypt @9-1

Algeria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

SO,b4 it kicks off, who is every ones fancy? Without knowing too much i"ll go for Egypt @9-1

Ivory Coast are understandable favourites imo. Their squad looks impressive. Seri, Bony, Bailly, Aurier, Sio, Kalou, and of course Zaha who I'm particularly interested in watching. 10/3 on PaddyPower I see. I might stick a few quid on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

FIFA should stay the hell out of it. Let the African federation do what suits them not whingers in England.

Moaning about losing players to ACN is ridiculous. When you sign an African international, which most would already have to be to get a WP, you know they'll be gone for a month during the English season every two years. If you can't deal with that then don't sign them.

If it's such a big deal the problem could easier be solved by having a Winter break in England, but that would inconvience the wrong people.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Just noticed when the camera went on him that Camacho is the brand new coach of Gabon, not a good sign for them to play attacking football. Very few forward passes from them first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

What a slide tackle by the goalie.....If that was premier league it'd be a straight red mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Congo are wearing jerseys made by our own O'Neills

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=264972

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,344 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I don't understand why it needs to be every two years. All the other continental championships are held every four years, so why is Africa different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Zaph wrote: »
    I don't understand why it needs to be every two years. All the other continental championships are held every four years, so why is Africa different?

My guess is that because the game is somewhat underdeveloped in Africa and they want to give it a boost by having the championships more often.

Here's a better explanation below.

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-African-Cup-of-Nations-every-2-years

Ekegbu Chibuzor, Working for a better Africa
    Written Sep 2
    The reason is for football to catch up with development of it in Europe. Europe organizes her own every four years because football is much more developed there.

Africa cannot afford to follow that format noting very well that football as a sport is still growing and the technical aspect of it is yet to reach an enviable position. Football is much more than just kicking a ball.

Constantly hosting the competition, like every 2 years, makes the focus of football to always be on the mind of organizations responsible for improving its play. It gives every country the opportunity of always improving and not going to sleep until another 4 years.

It makes more money, through sponsorship, for CAF to continue to promote and develop the game. Making $10 million every 2 years is far better than making $10million every 4 years.

It increases the rate at which talents will be discovered and shipped overseas for further harnessing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Algeria losing 2-1 to Zimbabwe. Goalie just made an unbelieveable save

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

2 years = Circle of Life.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Zimbabwe had a great chance to seal it, Algeria went straight down the other end to equalise. A draw would still be an amazing result for them though.

The Tunisia Senegal second half was very entertaining. An absolute mystery how Tunisia did not score and Senegal had plenty of chances on the break to get a third.

And the "open" years between the ACN we have the ANC. But thankfully, that isnt a tournament where countries can call up anyone they want.
    Last year DR Congo (which in my head always read as Doctor Congo...) won that one

The squads for the ANC must be entirely made up of domestically based players. Would be quite an interesting concept for European Teams if there was the time to hold it.

Round 1 Results
    Group A

Gabon 1 V 1 Guinea-Bissau
    Bukina Faso 1 V 1 Cameroon

Group B
    Algerial 2 V 2 Zimbabwe
    Tunisia 0 V 2 Senegal

Group C
    Côte d'Ivoire 0 V 0 Togo
    DR Congo 1 V 0 Morocco

Group D
    Ghana 1 V 0 Uganda
    Mali 0 V 0 Egypt

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

razorblunt wrote: »
    2 years = Circle of Life.

Am going back to Irish Junior soccer.Better standard of football and local interest!

Another entertaining game between Gabon and Burkina Faso, another draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,344 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Early contender for next year's Puskas award, Guinea-Bissau vs Cameroon last night

Algeria.

I guess they wanted back to their clubs asap. 2-1 down to Tunesia.

Round 2 Results
    Group A

Gabon 1 V 1 Burkina Faso
    Cameroon 2 V 1 Guinea-Bissau

Table
    Cameroon GD 1 - PTS 4
    Gabon GD 0 - PTS 2
    Burkina Faso GD 0 - PTS 2
    Guinea-Bissau GD -1 - PTS 1

Group B
    Algeria 1 V 2 Tunisia
    Senegal 2 V 0 Zimbabwe

Table
    Senegal GD 4 - PTS 6 - Qualified for Quarter Final
    Tunisia GD -1 - PTS 3
    Algeria GD -1 - PTS 1
    Zumbabwe GD -2 PTS 1

Group C
    Côte d'Ivoire 2 V 2 DR Congo
    Morocco 3 V 1 Togo

Table
    DR Congo GD 1 - PTS 4
    Morocco GD 1 - PTS 3
    Côte d'Ivoire GD 0 - PTS 2
    Togo GD -2 - PTS 1

Group D
    Ghana 1 V 0 Mali
    Egypt 1 V 0 Uganda

Table
    Ghana GD 2 - PTS 6 - Qualified for Quarter Final
    Egypt GD 1 - PTS 4
    Mali GD -1 - PTS 1
    Uganda GD -2 - PTS 0 - Out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Is only the 2nd half of the Cameroon b's Gabon game on live? Eurosport has their coverage starting at 7:45 but the game kicks off at 7:00 I think.

Coverage is on Eurosport 1 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Senegal are going to win this :(

• Advertisement

Extraordinary finish to the Gabon-Cameroon game. In the 94th minute, Gabon hit the post and the rebound was tipped over by the keeper whilst he was sitting flat on his arse. Aubameyang missed an open goal from about two yards out at the start. Apart from that Gabon were poor and created very little.

Final Results of Group A
    Cameroon 0 V 0 Gabon
    Guinea-Bissau 0 V 2 Burkina Faso

Burkina Faso Group winners
    Cameroon Runner up.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dortmund will be delighted

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Tonights Results
    Sengal 2 V 2 Algeria
    Zimbabwe 2 V 4 Tunisia

Senegal - Group Winners
    Tunisia - Runners Up

1st Quarter Finals sorted
    Burkina Faso V Tunisia
    Senegal V Cameroon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

For a must win game, Ivory Coast have been terrible so far. 0-0 at ht. They may step it up after half time. With the team they have it would be seriously bad to go out already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Hard to see Ivory Coast come back from 1 down. Great goal by Morocco though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm glad I never got round to sticking a bet on Ivory Coast. A squad stacked with talent going out with a whimper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Plenty of English clubs will be happy with this, no more than Villa getting Kodjia back!!!

Tonights Results
    Morocco 1 V 0 Côte d'Ivoire
    Togo 1 V 3 DR Congo

DR Congo - Group Winners
    Morocco - Runners up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,715 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Anyone else think the standards of this competition is dreadful?

I've been watching a few games and it's just so bad. One big factor is the pitches but just a lot of poor quality of players I think. Stadiums look half empty from the matches I've seen as well.

Seems to be always the case with these ACON competitions.

Headshot wrote: »
    Anyone else think the standards of this competition is dreadful?

I've been watching a few games and it's just so bad. One big factor is the pitches but just a lot of poor quality of players I think. Stadiums look half empty from the matches I've seen as well.

Seems to be always the case with these ACON competitions.

Any of the games I've watched bar Mali v Egypt have been entertaining stuff. Certainly better than EPL or FA Cup stuff I've seen lately. The Tunisia Senegal game will be a tough one to beat for most entertaining.

Tonight's Results
    Egypt 1 V 0 Ghana
    Uganda 1 V 1 Mali

Egypt - Group Winners
    Ghana - Runners up

Quarter Finals
    Jan 28th

Burkina Faso V Tunisia
    Senegal V Cameroon

Jan 29th
    Egypt V Morocco
    DR Congo V Ghana

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Senegal v Cameroon about to start the lottery that is penalties

Very hard for a football match to break out over 120 minutes when the ref was blowing his whistle every 30 seconds.

Today's Results
    Burkina Faso 2 V 0 Tunisia
    Senegal 0 V 0 Cameroon - Cameroon win on pens 4-5

• Advertisement
Advertisement