Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance issue re classic policy (AIG)

Options
  • 13-01-2017 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    I thought I would draw your attention to an issue that I've come across trying to a classic policy with AIG through First Ireland.

To give you a brief background, I've been insured through First Ireland for 15 years or so, various policies. In particular with classics, it was the usual story, you have your private (or main car) policy in order to have your classic insured.
    Up until last year,my wife and I had 1no main car, and also 1no classic. I'm the policy holder, she is named on both private & classic.
    I sold the classic last year, and am itching to get another, so I've been on the hunt.
    I asked FI to give me a ballpark figure, and forgot to mention I wanted herself to be a named driver - I told them this in the next correspondence.
    Their (well AIG's stance to be more accurate) is that in order for my wife to be named on the classic, she would also have to have her own private car. "With no exceptions"
    ie we would need to have 2no private cars in the household in order to have both of us insured on 1no classic.
    The reason FI gave me was that:
    "it seems fronting has been an issue in the past and AIG have tightened up their acceptance criteria across the board"

I can understand the 'fronting' aspect when someone is insuring little Johnny on the mammys Micra, but on the classic scene...

I asked FI were there any other ins co's that allowed the household to have just the 1no private car & 1no classic, with her as a named driver on both vehicles, their reply was Aviva do classic policies, but not through FI, maybe direct with Aviva or through another broker.

Apologies if this is long winded, but I just wanted to let you know the situation I find myself in.
    In our own situation, we don't need 2 private cars, I'm lucky to live close enough to work, so I cycle pretty much everyday, and herself only uses the 1 car we have for pottering around locally, school run etc. so the classic would be the 'weekend' car

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Are First Ireland part of AIG?

Seems like AIG are tightening things up. See the other recent thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭tc20

@ Dades, First Ireland are brokers.

yep, read the other thread on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

Plenty of other companies available. Their loss if you go elsewhere!

@ Millington - I've no loyalty to any ins co., just wanted to make others aware of what appears to be AIG tightening up on all fronts in the classic arena.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

tc20 wrote: »
    @ Dades, First Ireland are brokers.
    Sorry - should have known that - I've used them before!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,324 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dades wrote: »
    Seems like AIG are tightening things up. See the other recent thread here.

Yep and they used to be flexible with youngtimers (15-20 years old) on classic policy. Now it is strictly 20+ years only for all new customers.

folks, just an update of sorts on this thread...

I gave FI a sample car (MB190, 1990, 2.0 litre, value €2k, 10km p/a) and asked if they could insure it as my only car (ie not under a classic policy) with me as main driver and my wife as named driver.

Currently our daily hack is an 02 Astra 1.4, for which our most recent policy is approx €450 with myself as principal driver and the Mrs as named driver.

Their initial reply was that due to the age of the car (the Merc in this case) they had to refer it on - AIG won't touch it and all he was getting with other co's was just short of €1100, and this was a referral, so not guaranteed either.
    They've just followed up with bad news - a decline across the board and the only option would be to proceed through the "Declined Cases" route with Insurance Ireland, and the predicted that I'd be looking at minimum €1k, and possibly even higher.

I haven't had a chance to take a few hours off and ring around myself, but I just thought I'd keep ye posted. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Castle77

I use Carole Nash.. I have two of my brothers named on Classic Car policy- for 2 cars, and no issue with them needing to have other policies.

On another note.. I recently tried to get a new regular policy for my OH- she hasn't had a policy for 15 years, and didn't drive for the last number of years, currently on a learner permit, having done 10 of the 12 mandatory lessons and needing to get a policy so she could practise with me in the car.I need to keep my no claims for seperate policy. She is 40 btw, and so am I.. I have had full licence for 20 years, never had an accident, no penalty points, no convictions. Long story short , could only get one quote for a ten year old 1.4 litre car... €4300!!!

Insurance market in Ireland is gone to the dogs, the govt need to do something fast or the **** will hit the fan

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Insurance market in Ireland is gone to the dogs, the govt need to do something fast or the **** will hit the fan[/QUOTE]

Strongly agree but based on past experience they will wait until the bovine excrement is all over the place.

Advertisement