Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops / Restaurants / businesses you miss in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

imme wrote: »
    =D I think there was only ever one of them.

This got me thinking of the real life ushers, well more ticket collectors that they had in the Screen, older guys in dickey bows, they were there until 7/8 years ago.

You'd buy you ticket after queueing and then join another queue for the particular film you were going to.

These old codgers would marshal the queue and take your ticket.

The crowds of people ho used to go to the Screen back then.

The statue was based on one of the actual ushers in the Screen. I remember him there in the 80's, and was obviously enough of an icon of the cinema to warrant Vincent Browne, the sculptor's attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

imme wrote: »
    The sign for the Ritz is still on the building in Abbey Street, saw the sign a few years ago,
    A red 'RITZ' letters on the front of the building and wondered what the 'RITZ' was.

There's a couple of pics of the outside of the cafe in the City Council's photo archives some of which are online, just search.

Yes I see the sign when passing which keeps it in my mind I suppose. Tour America is there now. The staff were so nice there. There's such a lack of casual dining options (aside from McDonald's etc) open in the evenings these days. And everywhere is so small and overcrowded. The Ritz had plenty of space and you could go in after finishing shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Kitchen complements, originally on Chatham Street for decades, moved to a bigger premises on South Anne Street, which was great, much easier to browse everything but a bit pricey which I'm guessing was it's downfall when it closed a few years ago.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

A few of the posts here have reminded me of the cafe in Roches Stores way back inthe 80s. The only thing I remember about it is if we were lucky, we'd be brought in there for a bowl of ice cream after a hard day's shopping :D and it came in a metal bowl. I must have been really young cos I remember feck all else about it except the place seemed vast and kinda dark (dimly lit). I might have dreamed it for all I know, must ask my mam.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

miamee wrote: »
    A few of the posts here have reminded me of the cafe in Roches Stores way back inthe 80s. The only thing I remember about it is if we were lucky, we'd be brought in there for a bowl of ice cream after a hard day's shopping :D and it came in a metal bowl. I must have been really young cos I remember feck all else about it except the place seemed vast and kinda dark (dimly lit). I might have dreamed it for all I know, must ask my mam.

That's brought back some memories. I seemed to be there every week. I can still picture the route, in through all the make up stands, up the escalator and the cafe was on the left.

I remember the toys and computer games being downstairs too, I used to love when there was a new lego catalogue out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Peats of Parnell Street. Branches for a short included Dame street. No "Sell Up" script nonsense from the cashiers like another electronics store.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Mention of Gruel above reminded me of Dublin Brewing Company, whose beer they used to sell. Had a great tour of the brewery on North King Street in 1997 and used to regularly get through lots of Revolution red ale and Maeve's Crystal Weiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

I really liked the Amnesty Cafe in Temple Bar. They had great sandwiches and many a cuppa with pals there in my college years. Really reasonable price too!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There used to be a great little italian restaurant at the top of Grafton Street/on St. Stephen's Green, I think it was where Insomnia is now. It was cheap and cheerful as far as I remember and had some great nights there with a particular college friend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Roches Stores and The Ritz cafe on Middle Abbey Street.
    Thumbs up for the Ritz, brings back a lot of fond memories of going into town on Christmas Eve with my Dad and sister when I was a kid.  We would always get our Beano/Dandy annuals in Easons, followed by burgers and chips in The Ritz.  Always look at the sign passing by now reminds me of my Dad who is no longer with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Roches Stores. I knew the layout very well. Right in front of the doors were the posters and accessories, to the immediate left was the sweet counter. Right by the escalators on the left was some sort of information desk with the customer service desk just past them. Upstairs the cafe was on the left (the tiny milk jugs are particularly vivid) and shoes were straight ahead. Used to love the swingset in the basement.

A-Wear, Dandelion Bar, Le Croissanterie in the jervis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Delhi o Delhi on Moore Street. Full of ridiculously nice Indian street food. Always some Indian people there so assumed it was good without trying.

Eventually tried, it was all vegetarian but you wouldn't know if you we're not told. Delicious and super cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Coffee Inn on Anne St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Have been racking my brain for the name of the place but there was a cafe/restaurant before Zeba on South William Street, their colours were green and black. They did simple food well and wine was half the price of anywhere else in the area.

I also miss the backstage wine and cocktail bar on parliament Street.

I'm sure there are loads of others too!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Clerys, the epicurean. The French bakery on moore st.

These, The Stone Wall Cafe, Habitat, Foko, Rasher Byrnes, The Mermaid cafe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Epicurean Food Hall and, in particular, 'Ugly Duckling'. And they replace it all with a bloody Dealz.

Fond memories of the Virgin Megastore - huge DVD collection yes but I reallyt recall browsing all the the RPG books - Warhammer / Warhammer 40k, D&D / AD&D and more. That and seeing the counter that sold gasp! shock! condoms for the first time outside of a chemist.

I'll echo Deli-o-Delhi too. Very tasty and a great price.

Bonza Pies - Enjoyed going to them in the Ilac until they abruptly vanished. Thankfully The Pie-Man cafe in Temple bar has helped fill the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

BeerNut wrote: »
    Il Primo. I'd kind of assumed it would be there forever. Used to love Bistro on Castle Market too.
    Loved these two places - although you'd want your wits about you in Il Primo not to let Dieter flog you some mega-expensive wine :D

There was another place opposite Bistro - Les Maison des Gourmets, I think - that used to do the most AMAZING boeuf bourgignon and French onion soup - I used to stagger home with multiple paper takeaway cups full of both for the freezer - I was distraught when it closed down :mad:
    spurious wrote: »
    Roches Stores - for so many reasons.

At least a couple of times a year I'm stuck for something random and think - "if only Roches was still here" - there was nothing you couldn't get in there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

That's just reminded me that there used to be (I'm pretty sure???) a Roches upstairs in Stephens Green centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

blue_blue wrote: »
    Gruel on Dame Street.

Saw the thread title and came in to mention Gruel. Loved that place. Think they got screwed by upward only rents early enough into the recession. An Italian pizzeria went in after, I went in once but wasn't impressed. Not sure what's there now.

Also +1 for nude - loved the stew in a bread bowl!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

ixoy wrote: »
    Epicurean Food Hall and, in particular, 'Ugly Duckling'. And they replace it all with a bloody Dealz.

Ugly Duckling is now at the Georges Arcade though.

I loved the Epicurean Foodhall, but IMO it was past its time. Hopefully something similar can be created when the new market open in the Fruit market just off Capel St. minus the generic food places that slipped in the Epicurean Foodhall towards the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

newacc2015 wrote: »

That one closed in July too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Saw the thread title and came in to mention Gruel. Loved that place.

Forgot to mention this place.
    So simple food done perfectly!
    Shame it closed.
    Did the owners every do anything else? Seemed like such a good formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Forgot to mention this place.
    So simple food done perfectly!
    Shame it closed.
    Did the owners every do anything else? Seemed like such a good formula.

The House is Howth is run by the former Gruel owners. Also does lovely food.

athtrasna wrote: »
    That's just reminded me that there used to be (I'm pretty sure???) a Roches upstairs in Stephens Green centre?

Yes, it was where Argos is now. Obviously a small branch, housewares only. Nothing in comparison to Henry St, but a great shop nonetheless.
    Miss Roches.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Switzer's window displays at christmas were a wonder when I was a child. Always so elaborate.

I remember being in there one September/October - bored rigid while my parents shopped - I began wandering and found myself in a storage area behind the shelving. There was a huge replica of the Trash Heap from Fraggle Rock just sitting there. It appeared in the window display a few weeks later.

The House is Howth is run by the former Gruel owners. Also does lovely food.

Wow, never knew that! I go to House a fair bit :)
    Good to hear and explains why the food is so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thought of two more - Murder Ink on Dawson Street and G1 (skate shop) on O'Connell Street.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Passenger wrote: »
    That one closed in July too.
    They now run The Hill pub in Ranelagh. It's not branded as Ugly Duckling but it's the same food. 2-for-1 mains on a Tuesday :D

I know there's lots of similar type shops around now, but I loved Hector Greys on Abbey Street at the time :D

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I know there's lots of similar type shops around now, but I loved Hector Greys on Abbey Street at the time :D

Wasn't Hector Grays on Liffey Street? Great knick nack & trumpery shop. Hector Gray was a byword for tat! Loved it.

Advertisement