Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shops / Restaurants / businesses you miss in Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Andrew:s Lane theatre, loved that place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    Abbey Discs.

This. Especially the Abbey Mall shop. Used to love going in and listening to all the new techno releases and collecting flyers for The Asylum and Sides while waffling with Billy and the rest of the family.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

McGonagles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

John_Rambo wrote: »
    McGonagles.

What date did it close do you happen to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Passenger wrote: »
    What date did it close do you happen to know?

I forget, but the signage is in the Little Museum of Dublin! Nostalgia. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know it's a million years ago, but I loved the old Dublin Resource Co-op, in Temple Bar before they made a hames of it. Sitting on mismatched bockety kitchen chairs, eating veggie soup with doorsteps of bread and just as likely to be sharing a table with a homeless lad or an Irish celebrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Alpha Cafe, upstairs place, just off Wicklow Street. Ran by these old dears. Real old skool cafe. Straight up 'evening tea' stuff: pots of tea, plain sambo and slice of cake.

spurious wrote: »
    I know it's a million years ago, but I loved the old Dublin Resource Co-op, in Temple Bar before they made a hames of it. Sitting on mismatched bockety kitchen chairs, eating veggie soup with doorsteps of bread and just as likely to be sharing a table with a homeless lad or an Irish celebrity.

Was it the Well Fed Cafe? Loved that place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Was it the Well Fed Cafe? Loved that place.

I knew it as the DRC, it may well have had a fancier name.

**edit**
    Looking it up a bit, yes, it was called the Well Fed Cafe.
    https://comeheretome.com/2013/05/24/some-notes-on-history-of-vegetarianism-in-dublin-pt-ii-1933-1996/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Alpha Cafe, upstairs place, just off Wicklow Street. Ran by these old dears. Real old skool cafe. Straight up 'evening tea' stuff: pots of tea, plain sambo and slice of cake.

Great shout. I ate there at lot in the late 90's. Sat next to Glen Hansard many times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Have vague recollection of a kebab shop on Dame Street I think where Bobos is now... was called 'Athena'?
    Would have been around 15 years ago.
    Used to do amazing chip butties - just chips in a wrap with mega spicy sauce and kebab salad. Would be like amazing after a feed of booze :D

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Great shout. I ate there at lot in the late 90's. Sat next to Glen Hansard many times.

My main memories of it are late 80s to mid 90s. Used to love the 'snug': that little room off to the right as you came in that overlooked Clarendon Street.

As a broke student, you could get the evening tea deal for about 2 or 3 quid. Like something you'd get as a kid, as said: pot of tea, slice of old skool cake and a little sandwich.

Remmeber there was an ancient looking outer sign on that floor that just said Alpha.

Think it's a Greek or Moroccan restaurant now.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This place sounds amazing, what a shame. I never knew of it/may have been before my time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Spaghetti hoops on toast at the Alpha. What more could you want?
    Think it's a Greek or Moroccan restaurant now.
    It's now El Bahia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I used to love going to gigs in The Shelter.
    Also The Welcome Inn on Parnell Street was a great spot for a nice quiet pint.
    Another vote for Delhi O Deli on Moore Street too. Shame that didn't last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Lenihan's in Rathmines. Had everything you'd need for the house and the garden, often at great prices, and often surprisingly designy in a 1960s kind of a way.
    Old Rathmines shops from back in the day like Findlater's and Healy's. The rows of expensive clothes shops in George's Street like Colette Modes for coats - and the upmarket Irish chain stores like Todd's and Pim's. KBC and Fuller's cafes - Fullers had a stunningly sweet and coffee-and-walnutty iced cake that was fantastic with strong tea. Bradley's shoe shop in Nassau Street, which had an X-ray machine to see the size of your feet, and which you left with your new shoes in a shoe box tied up with string ("No wearing them outside till they've been well run-in indoors, now!") and a balloon.
    And Bewley's, which when I was young presented the table with a tiered cake stand with scones and cakes on it. You knew they were counted, but some hungry students would steal a cake (I never did) and the waitresses would pretend not to notice - Mary Cakes (gooey chocolate mousse on a biscuit enclosed in a dark chocolate shell with a marzipan top with its own specific design. Lentil soup, which took me years to replicate at home (parsley was the secret), with big brown scones, pats of sweet salty butter and a pint of Jersey milk from the Bewley's herd. Apple tart with a crisp savoury crust, the apple-tastiest chunks of hot apple you've ever tasted, and whipped Jersey cream.

Advertisement