Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Question to everyone in the thread. Speaking personally I am a utter bag of nerves when I look at one of my favs trying to win. I can't sit down and pace around in front of the telly on big points and a loss hits me much more than following my favorite football team. Maybe it's down to because it's an individual sport and you get so immersed on the players emotions & rigmarole etc.

Anyone else get more invested in a big tennis match than other sports?

Tennis is the only sport that I follow now, although used to follow football when I was younger, but when I think of it, I think I did get more invested in and nervous about tennis than football. I don't think there's much in sport more exciting than a close tennis match, knowing that one single strike could end the match, an errant forehand, a backhand sent long, missing a second serve.. it can so so tense in a close match and much more so than football I feel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

walshb wrote: »
    She did. Not the exact words I quoted. Took her time too in saying it. Not a slip of the tongue. Matts subtly corrected her.

I'll forgive Barbara for this one. Important to remember she has to work alongside Mats Wilander, his stupidity has got to be contagious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Question to everyone in the thread. Speaking personally I am a utter bag of nerves when I look at one of my favs trying to win. I can't sit down and pace around in front of the telly on big points and a loss hits me much more than following my favorite football team. Maybe it's down to because it's an individual sport and you get so immersed on the players emotions & rigmarole etc.

Anyone else get more invested in a big tennis match than other sports?

I used to be ridiculously nervous when Federer, Delpo, Clijsters, Kvitova etc. were in finals. I'd be on the edge of my seat from the beginning right til then end and inch forward if they had a set or break point. I found it more nerve-racking than a job interview.:pac: I've mellowed out a bit...but I still get butterflies. The relief when your favourite wins is great though!

Needless to say, I could never be a tennis wife. My blood pressure would be through the roof and I'd have bitten my nails right off.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

We're off.

What a point... Fed is looking the boss. But how many times has he gotten off to a good start only to be pegged back and grounded down. At 2 sets to 0, 5-0 up in the 5th and 40-0, only then I'll back him.

• Advertisement

some good winners from Fed. The first set is probably more important for him than it is for Nadal. Can he keep the break to take it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

That was quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

What a point... Fed is looking the boss. But how many times has he gotten off to a good start only to be pegged back and grounded down. At 2 sets to 0, 5-0 up in the 5th and 40-0, only then I'll back him.

To be fair, out of their 11 previous slam meetings Federer has won the first set 4 times, and 2 of those matches he has won.

Only 2006 FO has Fed won set 1 and Nadal won the match (slam final).

Nadal back to hitting the fed backhand in that game on break point where the first serve wasn't as good from the Swiss. break. First serve % so important for Federer.

• Advertisement

brilliant from Nadal to save break point there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Nadal saved two break points there.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Nadal saved two break points there.

obviously mean the one that was a great rally with aggression from Nadal with break point at stake.

Fed's 3 set plan is up in smoke!

Fed is definitely not giving up the 2nd set without a fight.

Scratch my last post.....hasn't given up!

Supreme Fed defence.

Fed's first serve % gone to sh1t in the second set. It's killing him.

Sublime serves from Fed.....back on song.

His UE count again hurting him.

• Advertisement

Comfortable service game from Federer there.....despite double.

His UE count again hurting him.

Certainly told in that game to lose the set.

actually just looking at the stats in the second set fed just stopped winning points on his 1st serve. won 56% in set 2, down from 93% in the first set!
    % first serves in was the same for the set (63 vs 64%)

Wow! That was a struggle....thought Fed was gone there. Game on again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Big hold for Federer.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Big hold for Federer.

...followed by a big break! Loving this.

vienne86 wrote: »
    ...followed by a big break! Loving this.

Not loving it.. Vamos Rafa:D

And now Fed holds to love! Out-thinking Nadal at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

That's a great service game! More of that please!!

• Advertisement

Federer is unplayable atm.

Advertisement