Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Australian Open 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

No need for sarcasm - as in if Fed wins its basically 100% guaranteed Nadal will win, he owns Federer in slam finals..

It wasn't sarcasm, but as the above isn't what you said, I'll bite anyway.

You said if Stan won he would have a great shot at winning the tournament. Given that he's the higher seeded, higher ranked player with a much better recent performance history, I was making a light hearted remark at the wonderful insight your comment provided. Or, to be coarse about it, "talk about stating the bleedin' obvious!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Unbelievable! Now lets see if the Mallorcan Mr Muscle can keep his side of the bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Didn't realise that Federer and Nadal are such good friends.

Happy Federer won the Swiss civil war, the Aussie Open has been like a renaissance tournament.

On a separate note, there is speculation that Eurosport could become part of the BT sports package on Sky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Not great odds. I had €8 in there and stand to get €19 back, as much as I love Federer he has a terrible record against Nadal. But I guess it's a good while since these players were competing against each other at this level so who knows???

Dimitrov to win now so.

20 down at 7/2 = 90 for me. Should the unthinkable happen this will soften the blow a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Chivito550 wrote: »
    20 down at 7/2 = 90 for me. Should the unthinkable happen this will soften the blow a bit.

I got him at 10-1 around the 2nd round, only stuck a tenner down tho ... pity ..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Very cool seeing Venus back in a slam final, although suely it's finally Serena's time to break Steffi's record. There doesn't seem to be a lot of fanfare about it, weirdly? If she does break it then Margaret Court's 'record' will be the next one in sight. If she does break Court's record in the future, how perfect would it be if she could do it in Australia, with the miserable old trout watching on? :cool:

On the men's side, disappointed Federer won but also relieved Wawrinka won't get a chance, for now at least, to overtake Andy's slam count. Would love Dimitrov to take the title but beating both Nadal and Federer is probably a tall order. Also deserves to be mentioned as well that if Nadal was making this kind of a comeback after a six month layoff then there'd probably be a few raised eyebrows, but that's probably a conversation for elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,730 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I'm praying Dimitrov doesn't beat Nadal. Really will put a dampener on the occasion. It's all about the occasion. Two of finest players to ever play the game. Probably the top 2 ever, at the backend of their careers one more time in a slam final...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

It's been a poor tournament for me anyway. With Sharapova, Azarenka and Kvitova all out most of the remaining top WTA players just didn't show up, leaving Serena and Venus with a relatively clear path to the final.

On the men's side Andy losing so early was a disaster for me. Del Potro didn't play and Kyrgios lost early too.. little to get excited by. Dimitrov can be the saving grace!

It's been a poor tournament for me anyway. With Sharapova, Azarenka and Kvitova all out most of the remaining top WTA players just didn't show up, leaving Serena and Venus with a relatively clear path to the final.

On the men's side Andy losing so early was a disaster for me. Del Potro didn't play and Kyrgios lost early too.. little to get excited by. Dimitrov can be the saving grace!

Kyrgios is the most overhyped player I've ever seen. He's beyond a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

walshb wrote: »
    I'm praying Dimitrov doesn't beat Nadal. Really will put a dampener on the occasion. It's all about the occasion. Two of finest players to ever play the game. Probably the top 2 ever, at the backend of their careers one more time in a slam final...
    Federer vs. Dimitrov is the dream final for me! Love the two of them and their game and it will be crazy to see such strikingly similar styles a generation apart play on such a grand stage.

The only dampener on this tournament for me so far is that Del Potro hasn't played. Other than that its been on of the best slams I can remember for years.

Also, did anyone else catch Venus's celebration? It was the most whimsical and overly girly thing I've seen on a tennis court it was strange to say the least.

• Advertisement

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Kyrgios is the most overhyped player I've ever seen. He's beyond a joke.

Hyped for being a prat!

Hyped for being a prat!
    Ah I like Kyrgios adds a bit of excitment to tennis. I think he's got talent, just feels sorry for himself too much and needs to grow up.

Ah I like Kyrgios adds a bit of excitment to tennis. I think he's got talent, just feels sorry for himself too much and needs to grow up.

I watched him on Chatrier at RG last year, and his demeanour on court was embarrassing. He'll never win a slam. Just doesn't have the head for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

The only dampener on this tournament for me so far is that Del Potro hasn't played. Other than that its been on of the best slams I can remember for years.

I wonder is he regretting not coming now? He could have made the semis at least without having to beat very much, with the way the draw fell and many players not being at their best.....

still, better not to rush back I guess, and i'm looking forward to seeing him later in the year

Yeah but if its a Nadal Federer final - let´s be honest there is only one way it's going .... whereas if Dmitrov can upset Nadal he will have a real shot v Federer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

F*ck Dimitrov tbh. He's a young enough pup he'll have his day in the future. With an all Williams women's final it needs to be Federer/Nadal.

Yeah but if its a Nadal Federer final - let´s be honest there is only one way it's going .... whereas if Dmitrov can upset Nadal he will have a real shot v Federer...

I don't really care. As mentioned, Dimitrov has time on his hands. We may never get to see these two legends play each other again, never mind it being a slam final. It's just too big and too tempting for the world of tennis and these guys' legacies to pass up.

I don't really care. As mentioned, Dimitrov has time on his hands. We may never get to see these two legends play each other again, never mind it being a slam final. It's just too big and too tempting for the world of tennis and these guys' legacies to pass up.

oh dont worry, you will see plenty more of Nadal winning slams at least ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Very cool seeing Venus back in a slam final, although suely it's finally Serena's time to break Steffi's record. There doesn't seem to be a lot of fanfare about it, weirdly? If she does break it then Margaret Court's 'record' will be the next one in sight. If she does break Court's record in the future, how perfect would it be if she could do it in Australia, with the miserable old trout watching on? :cool:

On the men's side, disappointed Federer won but also relieved Wawrinka won't get a chance, for now at least, to overtake Andy's slam count. Would love Dimitrov to take the title but beating both Nadal and Federer is probably a tall order. Also deserves to be mentioned as well that if Nadal was making this kind of a comeback after a six month layoff then there'd probably be a few raised eyebrows, but that's probably a conversation for elsewhere.

What's wrong with Wawrinka surpassing Murray's slam count?

There's actually a lot of added pressure on Nadal because of that very reason. He knows thats what the world wants. He could very well fúck it up.

• Advertisement

There's actually a lot of added pressure on Nadal because of that very reason. He knows thats what the world wants. He could very well fúck it up.

disagree with this, Nadal handles pressure better than anyone I have ever seen.

theres at least equal pressure on Federer, who doesn't handle it as well.

I was hoping that these two would play an important match two years ago when Fed was flying (I thought fed would have a very very decent chance). i'm not so sure now, but its a quicker court this year, and its nadals least favourite slam so...

still hope dimitirov wins it :)

lostcat wrote: »
    disagree with this, Nadal handles pressure better than anyone I have ever seen.
    The old Nadal certainly did, not sure about the newer model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

What's the consensus about Nadal's wrist injury?
    Is it just a matter of time before it flares up again or did he take enough time off for it to fully recover?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

But it's 2-2 between them in grand slam finals outside of the French Open.

What's wrong with Wawrinka surpassing Murray's slam count?

Maybe cos then the BBC would have to include Wavrinka as a "Big" player ?

But it's 2-2 between them in grand slam finals outside of the French Open.

Nadal is 3/0 at Melbourne.

A Fed win would not be a huge shock, but looking at both now, and going on past slam meetings one would have to be somewhat confident that Nadal is a little too strong.

The old Nadal certainly did, not sure about the newer model.

if nadal has the 'confidence' he talks about, there is hardly any stopping him, and he's is playing with that confidence this week.

Any slam final he has lost, it has taken an amazing performance to beat him, he hardly ever 'gives one up' unlike say, Djokovic, who seemed out of sorts in a few of the slam finals he lost

Just seen post match interview with Jim Courier there. Interesting insight from Roger. Thinks he played Rafa too many times on clay early in his career and he let that possibly affect how he played him on other courts, but he thinks this court can allow him play offensive against him. Refreshing honesty.

Found it a bit disrespectful of Jim Courier to be asking Roger about a final against Rafa when Dimitriov is very much still in the competition. There have been far bigger shocks in sport than Grioger winning tomorrow that's for sure.

As well as Dimitrov has started, Rafa looks on a different planet. Can't hit through him ATM. Big favourite for the title.

• Advertisement

As well as Dimitrov has started, Rafa looks on a different planet. Can't hit through him ATM. Big favourite for the title.

As soon as Nadal saved the break points in the opening game you got the impression that was Dimitrov's chance gone in the set.

Dimitrov well up here in the second.

And Nadal breaks back

always coming back ...
    always coming back ...
    always coming back ...
    always coming back ...
    always coming back ...
    always coming back ...
    always coming back ...
    always coming back ...
    always coming back ...
    always coming back ...

A match for him is a recursive representation of his career ... or other way around ... fractals maybe ?

Nadal just won't give up the set. Unreal

Burial. wrote: »
    Nadal just won't give up the set. Unreal

in fairness its how he always plays .. like a gladiator

in fairness its how he always plays .. like a gladiator

Pretty special to break back twice in one set though. Even for Nadal

• Advertisement

Burial. wrote: »
    Pretty special to break back twice in one set though. Even for Nadal

Not when your name is on the cup...

4 SPs saved ... ok im done here ...

What a set. Game on.

Great work from Dimi to somehow get himself back in the match. Still a huge ask but he has belief now. Bit of choking going on by both. C'mon Grigor!

A Fed vs. Dimitrov final would be more entertaining for me.

Cracking match. Nadal's forehand doesn't have the same whip on it at the minute.

• Advertisement

In fairness to Rafa he's being more aggressive than I thought he'd be and he looks a more dangerous player because of it.

Joke ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Win or lose, this match could be the making of Dimitrov.

Bit of a heart-breaker with the tie-break. Hope he can at least take it to a 5th.

I want Nadal to win but I have to say, win or lose, this is a tremendous performance from Dimitrov that he can hopefully build on rather than flattering to deceive as he has so many times in the past.

Fook you, Dimitrov! Looks like we have a 5th set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Come on Grigor ya little beaut. Great to see him playing like this.😀

Awesome!!! C'mon Grigor! What a match so far.

Fed the happiest man on earth at the moment!

26-24 in the 5th now please :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement