Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Open 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Anyway, back on topic, what chance do people give Dimitriov against Nadal?

20 percent!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

So you're allowed to use the fact Nadal was only developing to back up your argument as to why Federer was winning in 2004-2007, but we are wrong when we say Federer getting older and being past his peak was a reason for Nadal winning more in later years? Having your cake and eating it.

No I just don't think a players form dips so radically that they can't get a look in at winning a slam, and start winning again after a certain player gets injured. Logically it takes players time to develop, particularly on their weaker surface. I saw no sign of Federer declining at that point, just kept losing to Nadal, and went back to winning slams once Nadal was injured. But it's an easy cop out to say he declined, rather than admit he was bested

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

Anyway, back on topic, what chance do people give Dimitriov against Nadal?

35%
    and that's generous given how flaky dimitrov is.

then again, he gave djokovic a good scare the last time he was in a slam semi (win 14), and he is in a pretty good run of form, and is a far more adaptable player than raonic, so he can definitely hurt nadal.

is he willing to dig deeper than he usually appears able to, in order to achieve this? hard to believe that he will....

its impossible to call the other semi, stan might just not turn up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Apologies to anyone trying to read about Australia and seeing nothing but Federer vs. Nadal.:o

I'll try clean it up tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

RosyLily wrote: »
    Apologies to anyone trying to read about Australia and seeing nothing but Federer vs. Nadal.:o

I'll try clean it up tomorrow.

It was night time in Australia. Nothing happening down there :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

I like reading the discussion tbf! Didn't know boards had a small minority of tennis enthusiasts like myself.

Against anyone else I'd give Grigor a real chance but it's such a horrible matchup for him. Nadal was only properly tested by Zverev so far and Raonic wasn't great this morning, so it's difficult to predict his level. It's a tough ask. 65-35% sounds about right to me too.

I want Dimitrov to win more than I want Federer to win with their upcoming matches and I'm a huge Fed fan. Hopefully he is clutch and takes it.

I'll be on this thread in the morning. My bloody nerves are gonna be shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I was watching the women's semifinals, happy with the results.
    I was not happy with the message underneath that Sky customers face losing all Discovery channels which include Eurosport due to Sky not wanting to pay Discovery what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If Nadal gets past Dimitri, all four singles finalists will be 30+. Wonder when the last time that happened was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

RobertKK wrote: »
    I was watching the women's semifinals, happy with the results.
    I was not happy with the message underneath that Sky customers face losing all Discovery channels which include Eurosport due to Sky not wanting to pay Discovery what they want.

Just shows you the idiocy of Sky completely overpaying for Premiership rights and that supposed competition in TV actually screwed the customers rather than helped them.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Should both Roger and Rafa make the final. Would it be fair to suggest that the winner is rubber stamping their claim to be the greatest of all time?

• Advertisement

Should both Roger and Rafa make the final. Would it be fair to suggest that the winner is rubber stamping their claim to be the greatest of all time?

The Fed-Nadal thread has disappeared. A win for either would be unreal, but not as unreal as Venus winning a slam. Almost ten years after her last win.

Fed a set up and 3-2 up in set 2....

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

walshb wrote: »
    The Fed-Nadal thread has disappeared. A win for either would be unreal, but not as unreal as Venus winning a slam. Almost ten years after her last win.

Can't see Venus beating Serena should she make the final.

Serena is 5 to 1 on....Heavy enough favorite.

Fed is making bits of Stan. I am not watching it. Is Stan playing well, and just Federer playing better?

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

She's already there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Jan_de_Bakker

Federer up 2-0 against Stan ... handing the title to Nadal basically..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,725 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Stan is injured.

Floppybits wrote: »
    Stan is injured.

Legit or playing up?

Maybe ... I would love to see Federer win, but Stan has a much better chance v Nadal .. so hope he wins this ..

2-1

walshb wrote: »
    Floppybits wrote: »
    Stan is injured.

Legit or playing up?
    Well he went off for treatment at the end of the second set practically in tears. Comes back and is now 5-1 up in the third. Mats is saying on commentary that it is a knee injury.  Seems to be a combination of Wawrinka just going for everything because of the injury and Federer losing concentration.

• Advertisement

Stan wins the 3rd set!

I wonder, could Federer be thinking ahead to the final, and the fear is kicking in ... and now showing itself here in this match ?

could be ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

RobertKK wrote: »

They pay ridiculous amounts for the Premier League and leave other sports fans in the lurch. I'll definitely be playing for Eurosport player if that happens.

Happy to see Venus in another Grand Slam final. I'd love it if she won...but Serena looks like breaking Steffi's record.

I wonder, could Federer be thinking ahead to the final, and the fear is kicking in ... and now showing itself here in this match ?

could be ..
    Probably a bit put off by Wawrinka's injury. A lot of players lose focus when an oppenent is injured because they think they have the match won and also the injured player then plays with a bit of freedom.
    Federer serve broken in the first game of the 4th set.

9722f7195454842ac1f0dcc801b693e7.jpg

Hopefully that waster Kyrgios is watching this to see the behavior of real tennis players.

Stan's on the way back..serving to take this into a decider!

Wawrinka breaks for a 5-4 lead in the 4th. Unreal stuff from Wawrinka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's Stan's now. It'd take something special from Fed to stop this now.

• Advertisement

W0w !!!!

IF Stan wins this , he will have a real shot at the title on sunday

Advertisement