Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just call me from the hospital if it's serious!

Options
  • 13-01-2017 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

Saw a post just now where Senecio was given this advice by his wife before heading off on an early Sunday spin. She didn't want to be woken by an automated call triggered by his Garmin or SeeSense lights.

Having had to make the call a few times, I'm wondering if anyone has a good formula of words for the occasion? The best I've come up with so far is "I've come off the bike" but I think I might need something fresh.

Comments

I delegated the task to the nice ambulance lady the last time :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

'bad news - i'm gonna need a new bike'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

"I came off the bike. I need my spare arms/legs and a trauma kit, pronto!"

Or, this is why I let the Garmin do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Yes, that was my post.

Thankfully I've only had to make the call once. Commuting to work many years ago back in Australia. I was riding her fathers vintage steel frame when the rear derailleur jumped and sent the chain into the rear wheel spokes. Ensuing lock up caused me to come off. Nothing too serious, a few bumps and bruises and a cracked helmet. I was more worried how I was going to explain the damage to the father in laws cherished bike that my own health.

The wife was sleeping in as she was working shifts. I can't honestly remember how I told her but it wouldn't have mattered. I was going to be barked at for waking her up no matter how gently I broached the subject. I had to get her to pick me up and drop me to work. She also had to pick me up after work and I gave her a list of things to pick up from the LBS so I could fix my bike. She rocked up to the office with the bike still in the back of the car and the box of bits I'd asked her to get. I'm told I'll have to fix my bike and ride it home as she has errands to run before going in to work. I was in the dog house for at least a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

You're lucky, I would have been told to get a taxi to and home from work and get the bike bits I needed during my lunch break!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In my last situation, a work colleague happened to be in the vehicle backlog caused by the accident and went to assist. She didn't recognise me (in Lycra and helmet) until I greeted her. She contacted Mrs WA who arrived on the scene a few minutes later as I was being taken away. Must ask Mrs WA how the news was broken to her as it never occurred to me until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Only time I've ever had an accident that I couldn't ride away from, I called a friend of my wife first-I thought it would be more sensible as I didn't want to scare the sh*te out of my wife, plus it was in a different country and her friend happened to be in the country I was in. I'd say that any outcome where the person making the call is not someone else (cos you are not able to) is not such a bad one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Last time I crashed was a couple hundred metres from home, all just and bruises but Came in the door with blood on all the limbs. I've been told not to do that again.

Only 3 months earlier it was a text saying "Came down heavily and may have fecked my arm".

That was however better than the having to explain how I ended up in the royal canal :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Weepsie wrote: »
    That was however better than the having to explain how I ended up in the royal canal :/

A recording of that explanation would be great. Hopefully it wasn't at the Deep Sinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

I came off the mountain bike and drove myself to CUH with a shoulder, forearm and thigh that i patched up with some dressings in my pack, drove from the Vee with one arm and changing gear without the clutch, text the girlfriend who was working in the city at the time

"Van is in Wilton tesco, key is in petrol flap, I'm in A&E,can you hang around and bring me home"

She is used to me coming back a bit battered, but on this occasion she hit the roof altogether, I should have said nothing and just paid the parking. No broken bones and only a couple of stitches were needed.

She worries more about the motorbike, even though i've never really come of it and winded up in hospital. I think woman have a maternal instinct to know when things are self inflicted, and naturally dish out punishment instead of pity

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The emergency services appear to have coped well enough in my case. On one of the occasions I was completely out of it, the race Commissaire (a Boardsie) thought RobFowl would be able to do the honours but he failed miserably to make contact with the wife (and on the back of that CI changed their sign-on sheet to require next of kin details to be provided)

TBH it was probably better she didn't get the full details up-front!!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

Hi Jbokeh, where up the vee were you cycling? My brother in law was clearing out a path there quite recently and then went to try it out. After a while he rang my sis to say that he had knocked out one of his front teeth.. My sis pretty much told him to sell the bike! I told her don't be talking foolish woman.. If looks could kill.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I don't cycle too far from home mostly because the only line open to me if I was to ring the OH would be "Any chance you've learned how to drive yet" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Last time, I rang the office and had them put me through to herself so the office number would come up and she'd assume I was ok, thus giving me vital seconds to explain things in an undramatic fashion.

A few years ago I came off and called her - I thought I was being perfectly lucid and clear in describing my state but apparently I was babbling incoherently about how our holidays wouldn't be affected! Later one of the Guards who scraped me off the road told me I refused to get into the ambulance until I could go back to the bike and get my bag - which was actually on my back. When this was pointed out to me I said, quite indignantly apparently, that it was not my bag and they must've put it there!!

Amazing how a tap to the head can scramble the circuits - my only recollection of the event is falling, then being in the ED with a ringing headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

I'd a very serious crash a few years ago when I was t boned at a junction, Id broken my neck, sternum, shoulder, smashed my helmet etc etc. Tho I was conscious but had a 30 second delerious memory for a few hours... Was coherent enough to give the gardai my parents home address... I wish I hadn't, they rocked up to the door in person, my poor mother nearly had a heart attack at the sight of them. A phone call wouldn have been much better, but a little better I'd think. I'm not sure how I'd do it differently though all considered except maybe carry contact details on a card or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

'good news - i'm gonna need a new bike'.

FYP...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Saw a post just now where Senecio was given this advice by his wife before heading off on an early Sunday spin. She didn't want to be woken by an automated call triggered by his Garmin or SeeSense lights.

Having had to make the call a few times, I'm wondering if anyone has a good formula of words for the occasion? The best I've come up with so far is "I've come off the bike" but I think I might need something fresh.

Great thread for Friday 13th ....

Advertisement