Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overwhelmed by makeup brushes

Options
  • 13-01-2017 3:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭

So, I love make up but in my old age (30) I'm trying to downsize my life and declutter my make up. From a products point of view, this is easy enough because I feel I know what I like and what works for me, but I'm really struggling with brushes.

I'm curious to know what everyone uses and how many you have on the go? I've probably more than I need (I've some that came with various sets that I don't even know what they're for!) but Im still open to investing if there are better brushes out there, especially ones that will multitask for me, so that whilst I may end up spending in the short term, I'll have a concise collection of brushes that I get a lot of use from.

My main brushes these days are probably my MAC stippling brush for foundation, a (really old) MAC slanty brush that I use for my eyebrows (powder) and then I have an eye set from Real Techniques, of which I mainly use one brush that I use for putting shadow over my lid and then a slanty one for putting a darker shade along my lash line as I rarely wear eyeliner. I don't really have a good brush for putting a darker shadow in the crease of the eye socket so this is something I probably need.

I then have some cheapo brushes that I use for blush/highlight and a kabuki brush for overall powder. Oh and I also bought a Real Techniques knock off of the beauty blender recently but am not confident that I really know how to use it or if I should just buy the real thing.

I'm really not in love with my brushes right now, so recommendations welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Definitely upgrade to a beauty blender
    https://www.cultbeauty.co.uk/beautyblender-all-about-face.html
    They're great as you use them damp so you can clean them after every use and they're ready to use right away, I hate waiting for foundation brushes to dry! So easy to keep clean and hygienic!!

I use Zoeva brushes only, I've bought lots of others in the past but I find it easier to have the same make-I like the shorter handles too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Thanks! How much do you use your Beauty Blender? Would you put your whole foundation on with it or do you just use it for concealer? I just used my RT one for blending out concealer but I've never tried more than that.

I just feel like there are so many brushes and other applicators out there - I've no problem investing but don't want to get it wrong?

I use it for foundation too everyday, I had a RT one and I don't think they compare at all - the BB is much softer and very easy to clean, it's one tool that really is worth spending the money on. And it's two less brushes and its fantastic for fixing things later (too much blush etc).

One brush I'd recommend if you wear a powder highlighter is a fan brush, it's great for getting a fine dusting over large areas (cheeks or all over glow) and a concentrated application on specific areas - brow bone, tops of cheeks etc.

Just struggling to get my head around "bouncing" stuff across my face! I can see how it works for foundations and other cream products, but can't quite understand how it works with powder too!?! Anyway, I should just order one as it seems to be more than just a flash in the pan, which is what I originally thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

I'm curious to know what everyone uses and how many you have on the go?

I got a Beauty Blender during the summer and I absolutely love it. I use the fat end for liquid foundation and the pointed end for concealer. I haven't used it for powder (yet - not sure how tbh!) so I have a MAC 150 for the occasional time I want to use a setting powder. I used the Penneys blender and the RT one before and they just don't compare to the original. It is well worth the money.

For brows I love my double ended Anastasia Beverly Hills No. 12. It's great for applying product or just using the spooly end to tidy them up.

I did a clear out of brushes about a year ago and now I'm left with:
    - MAC 252 for packing colour on to my lids
    - MAC 224 for blending it out
    - MAC 217 for the crease
    - MAC 219 for applying colour along the lower lashes
    - MAC 266 for gel liner
    - MAC 186 for blush/contouring
    - MAC 316 for applying colour to lips*

(Sorry for all the numbers, I don't know their alternative descriptive names! :o )

*I do confess I have duplicates of all of those brushes (Crown, Blank Canvas, etc.) as I often have one on the go and one being washed and I have travel sets I've received as gifts.

If I lost all of my brushes for some reason, I would just repurchase those 7 types of brush and a BB. They're all I need for the looks I like to create.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Great recommendations here!

I'd also recommend the Mac 219 pencil brush for applying eyeshadow in the crease and the lower lash line

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm a very bare bones person - I have three MAC brushes, a foundation brush, an eyeshadow brush and an eyeliner brush. They do everything that I need. I don't wear lipstick, powder or blush, so that removes the need for a few brushes.

Thanks ladies - some great suggestions :)

First things first, I guess I'll buy a beauty blender and see where that takes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Thanks ladies - some great suggestions :)

First things first, I guess I'll buy a beauty blender and see where that takes me.

I'd recommend getting the cleanser to go with it too. I have the liquid one and it's great for lifting the stains out but I've read elsewhere that the solid one is even better.

On the beauty blender soap - I received a sample of the liquid and the solid and the solid is amazing!
    I bought my sponge in MUFE in Dublin and got a free sample of the solid soap there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I have the liquid and solid cleansers and I find the solid cleanser much better! It runs out much faster though :(

Advertisement