Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying bank charges

• 13-01-2017 4:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

There's your problem so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Look at other banks and see what they offer in terms of minimum amounts kept in the current account. And then if you find one that suits you better do the switch. AIB aren't going to care very much if you move or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

I think he means changing bank is the only way to avoid and you stated you didnt want to

• Advertisement

You could still keep your savings account though surely and just move your current account?

You can set up a standing order from your new current account or set it up as a payee to transfer money over.... I do it all the time..Im with PTSB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,590 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Never for a second thought they'd care if I moved however I like their savings account so would like to avoid where possible changing back

You can keep the savings account, just move your current account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

What AIB savings product are we talking about?

Some AIB deposit products require you to have the standing order originating from a "suitable AIB account" and do not allow the standing order from a third party bank.

To get around this, open a AIB Demand Account which has no fees. Set up a standing order (or manually wire) money from your third party current account to the AIB Demand Account and also set up a standing order from AIB Demand Account to your AIB savings account.

• Advertisement

If the closing balance on any single day goes below the minimum amount then you will be liable for charges for that quarter. This happened to us so now I am very vigilant about the balance. I check our accounts daily using online banking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You aren't just limited to Irish banks. I have 2 current accounts, one with a Dutch bank and one with a German bank. I haven't paid any charges yet (had one for over a year and the other about 6 weeks).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Does anyone know if you have the balance in your account to stop you paying fees and then go into the balance just for a day how do the fees work?

You have to have the 2.5k in your account through the whole year. If it goes below once then your charged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,453 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

PTSB only require you to lodge a certain amount to your account per month, not maintain a minimum balance. I'm not sure of the amount, but most wages would easily cover it.

I haven't paid bank charges in about 20 years. Anyone who does is nuts, or has too much money IMO!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

That account type is no longer available with PTSB. New savings are 4€ per month. But you can claw that back with "rewards".

Have a look at an EBS money manager account. Also their 3% savings account is most likely better than what you're getting with AIB.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    PTSB only require you to lodge a certain amount to your account per month, not maintain a minimum balance. I'm not sure of the amount, but most wages would easily cover it.

I haven't paid bank charges in about 20 years. Anyone who does is nuts, or has too much money IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,453 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That account type is no longer available with PTSB. New savings are 4€ per month. But you can claw that back with "rewards".

Have a look at an EBS money manager account. Also their 3% savings account is most likely better than what you're getting with AIB.
    I stand corrected :o

Thought it might be too good to be true in this day and age, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

If the closing balance on any single day goes below the minimum amount then you will be liable for charges for that quarter. This happened to us so now I am very vigilant about the balance. I check our accounts daily using online banking.

If the dip below the minimum was small and for a short period only try asking them if they will overlook it on this one occasion. We did that last year for a temporary dip below the minimum and AIB agreed to waive the charges for that quarter.

• Advertisement

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    If the dip below the minimum was small and for a short period only try asking them if they will overlook it on this one occasion. We did that last year for a temporary dip below the minimum and AIB agreed to waive the charges for that quarter.

We asked, both in our local branch, and via the phone to Customer Service, and got a no from both. It was 90c below the 2,500 for one night.

fyi AIB own EBS, a lot of people don't seem to know that.

Put your 2,500 into an EBS account at 3%, you'll end up with €75 interest at the end of the year (~50 EUR after DIRT). That's €4/month into your hand with no other day to day* fees.

Our AIB bank charges would run to about €75 per quarter (very busy account) so to us it's better use of our €2,500 to keep it in the account at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Thanks for that info on EBS, going to look into that. I feel a bit begrudging towards AIB making me keep 2500 in my account, might aswell hand it over to them!
    I think what puts me off EBS/PTSB is not knowing anyone with them so having no one for recommendations

I've had a PTSB current account, and they were terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

fyi AIB own EBS, a lot of people don't seem to know that.

Put your 2,500 into an EBS account at 3%, you'll end up with €75 interest at the end of the year (~50 EUR after DIRT). That's €4/month into your hand with no other day to day* fees.

Could you please advise what account this is that has 3%?

Family savings account is 3% up to 1k/ month. You can also deposit 1k at opening. ( so up to 2k on the first month only)

Teen savings account and child savings account are 2%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

That type of account with PTSB is gone now since they made a "breakthrough":rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

We asked, both in our local branch, and via the phone to Customer Service, and got a no from both. It was 90c below the 2,500 for one night.

That was utterly mean and miserable of AIB. What a poor way to conduct business :mad:

Have another go on the Talk to forum http://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1621

Advertisement