Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop repair Sligo.

Options
  • 13-01-2017 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a laptop repair shop in Sligo, please? I know there is an old thread about this but some places have closed and new ones opened since. Looks like graphic card problem. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

If it is graphic card( say more about the problem) in 99% cases it won't be worth fixing.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tommyamnesia

loki7777 wrote: »
    If it is graphic card( say more about the problem) in 99% cases it won't be worth fixing.

Laptop won't boot up. Blank screen. The power light, wifi light and mains charging light are visible. I can hear hard drive but that's it. Thanks. It's a HP Pavilion G6.

So add ram,cpu to it. What cpu inside - can you see any bios message or just black screen at all time?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Have good experience with "Repair Zone" in Stephen street (opposite BOI), would recommend

loki7777 wrote: »
    So add ram,cpu to it. What cpu inside - can you see any bios message or just black screen at all time?

Not experienced to do as you suggested. No message, black screen at all times.

• Advertisement

peasant wrote: »
    Have good experience with "Repair Zone" in Stephen street (opposite BOI), would recommend

Thanks, I'll call there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Hombre Lobo

Have you access to an external monitor?
    You could try connecting that to the laptop and see if it displays an image. It would mean the GPU is probably ok but the laptop display is at fault, either loose wiring or damage.

Have you access to an external monitor?
    You could try connecting that to the laptop and see if it displays an image. It would mean the GPU is probably ok but the laptop display is at fault, either loose wiring or damage.

Thanks for that. Should have mentioned that I tried that. Same result, black screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Try Compupac they are brilliant in fixing any computer. They don't take Microsoft off like those polish computer shops did with my dad's computer!

Vlove wrote: »
    Try Compupac they are brilliant in fixing any computer. They don't take Microsoft off like those polish computer shops did with my dad's computer!

Are Compupac still in the old school opposite oil depots on Finisklin Rd? Went there this morning but seemed to be closed. Maybe they don't work Saturdays .Seen a big for sale sign there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Are Compupac still in the old school opposite oil depots on Finisklin Rd? Went there this morning but seemed to be closed. Maybe they don't work Saturdays .Seen a big for sale sign there.

They are open business hours Monday to Friday and closed for lunch.

T-Bird wrote: »
    They are open business hours Monday to Friday and closed for lunch.

Thanks, will call tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Its more than likely dry joints on the motherboard, in which case a cheap fix is all they can do without replacing the motherboard. Turn it on, leave it on and wrap it in a blanket for half an hour to warm up. Once done, turn it off and on again and see does it boot.

If it does then this is the problem and you will need to reflow the joints on the board.

Its more than likely dry joints on the motherboard, in which case a cheap fix is all they can do without replacing the motherboard. Turn it on, leave it on and wrap it in a blanket for half an hour to warm up. Once done, turn it off and on again and see does it boot.

If it does then this is the problem and you will need to reflow the joints on the board.

Thanks. I read about that tip somewhere but it stated remove hard drive and battery. Battery I can do but not hard drive, don't know how. Is it necessary?
    Update. Went ahead with the blanket trick without removing hard drive. I've seen it all, laptop is working now. What's your advice on what to do next? This is probably a temporary fix.

Thanks. I read about that tip somewhere but it stated remove hard drive and battery. Battery I can do but not hard drive, don't know how. Is it necessary?
    Update. Went ahead with the blanket trick without removing hard drive. I've seen it all, laptop is working now. What's your advice on what to do next? This is probably a temporary fix.

Yes, it will happen again once it cools down.

You could remove the motherboard completely (including the processor chip)and bake it in the oven for 10 minutes. there are some tutorials for this online with more details. I've done this before but the success is limited & short lived. Ultimately its a replacement motherboard (and more likely a complete replacement) is whats needed.

If you're handy you could get another motherboard online for it

Yes, it will happen again once it cools down.

You could remove the motherboard completely (including the processor chip)and bake it in the oven for 10 minutes. there are some tutorials for this online with more details. I've done this before but the success is limited & short lived. Ultimately its a replacement motherboard (and more likely a complete replacement) is whats needed.

If you're handy you could get another motherboard online for it

O.K. What about reflowing the joints you mentioned. What does that entail? Don't know much about laptop inners you might have gathered! Thanks again.

Joints on the motherboard (soldered joints) have become brittle and are no longer making the connection they should. Hence, when its warm and all the components expand it then works as the connections are made.

Reflowing the board involves baking it in an oven for about 10 minutes. The heat will soften the joints again and re-make the connections. It doesn't always work and if it does its not always a permanent fix

You also need to be careful not to damage any components on the board. if you're not competent wit this sort of thing then I wouldn't advise it.

Really bad idea tbh - unless (if successful) you want to sell it straight away and make new owner "happy".

Joints on the motherboard (soldered joints) have become brittle and are no longer making the connection they should. Hence, when its warm and all the components expand it then works as the connections are made.

Reflowing the board involves baking it in an oven for about 10 minutes. The heat will soften the joints again and re-make the connections. It doesn't always work and if it does its not always a permanent fix

You also need to be careful not to damage any components on the board. if you're not competent wit this sort of thing then I wouldn't advise it.

I see. Thanks for your advice and time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

What is the make and model of the laptop , to be honest you are going to pay a fee to have someone tell you the info you are getting here, Compupac PC World it will be 70euro for them to have a look, some of the phone repair shops may be able to help. I have broken down loads of laptops and baked, very few stay working , although in saying that many I have done are still fine. Tell us the make and model and there may be a breakdown video on youtube. Unless its a really expensive Laptop thats is not too old I reckon have a go at it yourself.

• Advertisement

bennyc wrote: »
    What is the make and model of the laptop , to be honest you are going to pay a fee to have someone tell you the info you are getting here, Compupac PC World it will be 70euro for them to have a look, some of the phone repair shops may be able to help. I have broken down loads of laptops and baked, very few stay working , although in saying that many I have done are still fine. Tell us the make and model and there may be a breakdown video on youtube. Unless its a really expensive Laptop thats is not too old I reckon have a go at it yourself.

HP Pavilion g6 1013sa is the model. You're absolutely right about the advice I'm getting here, extremely helpful. It's five and a half years old but but not used a lot. Still working next day after the blanket trick. Maybe I'm lucky! Thanks.

HP Pavilion g6 1013sa is the model. You're absolutely right about the advice I'm getting here, extremely helpful. It's five and a half years old but but not used a lot. Still working next day after the blanket trick. Maybe I'm lucky! Thanks.

Don't rely on it to stay working though.

No, I won't. It'll be interesting to see how long it will work. I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Now it is working, make sure to back up any data to a usb drive.

Well that didn't last long! Gone again. Decision time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

At 5 years old I would consider a new laptop you can have the data taken off your one also no harm in having a crack at taking it apart yourself , the hard drive is easy access on those so you can pop it out easy and slave onto an external enclosure. At least you will have a new external drive, You can sell the rest on Adverts , should be looking around the 100e mark for screen , battery , charger etc.

Video here of breakdown

Hard drive enclosure here

bennyc wrote: »
    At 5 years old I would consider a new laptop you can have the data taken off your one also no harm in having a crack at taking it apart yourself , the hard drive is easy access on those so you can pop it out easy and slave onto an external enclosure. At least you will have a new external drive, You can sell the rest on Adverts , should be looking around the 100e mark for screen , battery , charger etc.

Video here of breakdown

Hard drive enclosure here
    Thanks Benny, interesting video. 5 years old but only about 2-3 years actual use. That's what annoys me. Will probably do as you suggest. Any point leaving it into repair shop? It's in very good condition apart from fault.

You could try and source a replacement yourself, but you'd pay as much to have it replaced including the cost of the board as you would to get a new, more modern one
    Motherboards are so minutely soldered that even finding the fault, let alone repairing it would be impossible

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_sop=19&_sac=1&_nkw=hp+pavilion+g6+motherboard&_dcat=175673&_ssc=1

You could try and source a replacement yourself, but you'd pay as much to have it replaced including the cost of the board as you would to get a new, more modern one
    Motherboards are so minutely soldered that even finding the fault, let alone repairing it would be impossible

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_sop=19&_sac=1&_nkw=hp+pavilion+g6+motherboard&_dcat=175673&_ssc=1
    Thanks everyone for all the advice given. Going to drop it in to one of the no fix, no fee shops just to see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Thanks everyone for all the advice given. Going to drop it in to one of the no fix, no fee shops just to see what they say.

Hmm, I wonder if they will have an evil laugh and rub their hands vigorously when they see you coming?

Advertisement