Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub grub

Options
  • 13-01-2017 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I saw a similar thread for another city so here goes

Cellar - for selection
    Burger - Massimos and the Oslo

Your turn...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Wegian wrote: »
    I saw a similar thread for another city so here goes

Cellar - for selection
    Burger - Massimos and the Oslo

Your turn...

The Huntsman & Sheridans, or would you consider both more restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Massimo's and the 12 in Barna are great.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Murty rabbits, finest in the city

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Massimo, streets ahead of the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Massimos have food served in a pub, for sure, but it's hardly pub-grub: It's streets ahead because it is treated as a separate food business, not just soakage.

Pub-grup is cheap, cheerful and filling. Lots of pubs don't do it at all. Taffes do a great Irish breakfast, dunno about the rest of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭ratracer

For post night out brekkie - it's definitely Seven on Bridge St for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭jh79

Anyone try Keoghs The Lock keepers yet? Menu looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

jh79 wrote: »
    Anyone try Keoghs The Lock keepers yet? Menu looks good.

Mixed experience. Service is great, had some nice bites but a little pricey for what it was. This was early on though. Friend had a do there, not a huge amount for the cost, but food tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Massimos and the Huntsman

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Eogclouder

1. Hungover sunday fry in the back of Monroes with a pint is always excellent. All the staff are nice in there too.

2. In the Bierhaus they've a food counter that does a selection of sandwiches (pulled pork po'boys, greilled chese with jalapeno and bacon etc.) and that's all good stuff too.

3. The pub grub in the The Dail is good, I like their wings.

• Advertisement

inisboffin wrote: »
    Mixed experience. Service is great, had some nice bites but a little pricey for what it was. This was early on though. Friend had a do there, not a huge amount for the cost, but food tasty.

Agree with all that.

Massimos have food served in a pub, for sure, but it's hardly pub-grub: It's streets ahead because it is treated as a separate food business, not just soakage.

Pub-grup is cheap, cheerful and filling. Lots of pubs don't do it at all. Taffes do a great Irish breakfast, dunno about the rest of the day.
    Pub grub has developed from your description into something far better and far more attractive to people looking to eat out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It is cheap though...they have a special every day. It's usually something like 12 euro for the special and a pint.

There's a great video with PJ explaining the concoction for the burgers and the influences. It's a gastropub. I love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

The food in Blakes Bar is excellent, as is the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

The Dail bar or the Quays bar had 2 recent good visits last time I was down in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Wompa1 wrote: »
    It is cheap though...they have a special every day. It's usually something like 12 euro for the special and a pint.

There's a great video with PJ explaining the concoction for the burgers and the influences. It's a gastropub. I love it.

Love that expression... gastro pub. Sounds all French and sophisticated. Until you say it to a French person.... cue hysterical laughter. Gastro to them means diarrhoea :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We've come a long way from what pub grub used to mean.
    Sandwiches, plates of chips, beans on toast.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Dail Bar

Striploin with chips or mash, onions and mushrooms and some onion rings. All washed down with pint of your choice (or glass of wine) - €17.95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Sheridans, Seven, McSwiggans, all top class, Taaffes for the Soup & Toastie,
    the last 2 times i've been in the Cellar was a major let down although i'll put it down to them being busy and having an off day(s), it's been fantastic all other times i've been in. we really are spoiled for choice with the pub grub in the city :)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Butterface

The Dail bar is my go to for pub grub in the city. The food is good and the service is great.
    Seven is decent - they have sweet potato fries on the menu!
    Tom Sheridan's is consistently good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

My top 3 from before I left Galway:
    1 - Oslo
    2 - McSwiggans
    3 - Cellar

Honourable mention to Garveys for the pizza

Advertisement