Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary advance

Options
  • 13-01-2017 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭

I work for a pretty awesome US based tech company, sweet benefits, i select my own hours, sweet healthcare etc . I need to get an advance on salary and I am unsure as to how i can do that. I have to pay off uni fees and I need my salary a month in advance to pay my fees .

Is it normal to do this?
    If so how do i do it?

Thanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

beaner92 wrote: »
    I work for a pretty awesome US based tech company, sweet benefits, i select my own hours, sweet healthcare etc . I need to get an advance on salary and I am unsure as to how i can do that. I have to pay off uni fees and I need my salary a month in advance to pay my fees .

Is it normal to do this?
    If so how do i do it?

Thanks a million

Is it normal? No, wages are paid in lieu of hours worked. An employer has to consider, what happens if we pay in advance and the employee stops showing up for work?

How do I do it? Ask, but prepare to be rebuffed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Totally abnormal.

They're your employer, not a bank.

Approach your bank or credit union for a loan.

Asking your employer will alert them to your ptecarious financial situation, and likely lead to them losing trust in you.

Also - consider what would happen if you got sick and couldn't work for a fortnight ....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Totally abnormal.

I wouldn't say that.

Many payroll packages recognise this is a thing and have "loan" as a feature in payroll deductions.

It's not the common, but it does happen. If there is some mutual respect and trust, then i don't see it as an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that.

Many payroll packages recognise this is a thing and have "loan" as a feature in payroll deductions.

It's not the common, but it does happen. If there is some mutual respect and trust, then i don't see it as an issue.

If you are in college doing further education to further your career the approach them to pay your fees, check what their plocy is on supporting further education.

Very few large companies or MNCs il offer "loans" for a simple reason.
    Interest free loans are a :benefit in kind" and taxable.
    Some companies got into big trouble for offering these loans to senior executives and now have blanket bans on any kind of loans.

You might have been able to do this if it was a small company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

It's not totally abnormal in smaller companies but some larger companies might do it. A full months salary is a lot to be asking for also, what are you going to live on the following month?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You won't get it and asking for it will reflect very, very poorly on you. Find an alternative way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

If they're as good as you say they are I wouldn't go kicking a milking cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,976 ✭✭✭✭listermint

what about a loan from a bank that you could pay back in a reasonable time allowing you to eat and live whilst having the total paid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I would say its abnormal in bigger companies by somewhat normal in small companies, especially minimum wages jobs like hotel, bars etc.
    OP, why is this suddenly sprung on you? Do the college not have payment plans, direct debit etc?
    Dont ask HR, it looks completely unprofessional, maybe ask them if they have education programs that might pay, but dont just go in looking for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Can I ask what you do OP?

Know of someone who is looking for jobs along the line of these conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If they are so sweet why are they not paying for your education?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Elemonator wrote: »
    Can I ask what you do OP?

Know of someone who is looking for jobs along the line of these conditions.

Think we're all looking for jobs along the line of "awesome" companies with"sweet benefits" Elemonator!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Lot of numbskull responses so far.

OP your company may well offer this. You need to ask your HR.

Asking this question will not reflect badly on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭bobmalooka

Plenty of grad programmes offer a salary advance.

It's not a crazy question to ask but I'd be surprised if it was an option when they haven't made you aware of it.

I'd simply ask HR if it's something they do, no need to spill details.

Advertisement