Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭fixXxer

sligeach wrote: »
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Accolades Trailer (Nintendo Switch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGEnlB8c-24

I'm sure it'll be great for newbies but here's why I'm partly indifferent.
    C-f9BDsWsAABPVy.jpg:small

Not because you don't have a Switch? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I'm not buying a Switch now to play games like Zelda and MK8 that are already on Wii U. The same goes for 3rd party efforts like Shovel Knight, Lego City Undercover and many more besides. When enough original games are out, it gets a price drop and maybe even a hardware revision then I'll be interested. There's still a lot to both find out and flesh out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I'm not buying a Switch now to play games like Zelda and MK8 that are already on Wii U. The same goes for 3rd party efforts like Shovel Knight, Lego City Undercover and many more besides. When enough original games are out, it gets a price drop and maybe even a hardware revision then I'll be interested. There's still a lot to both find out and flesh out.

But heres the thing can you play your wii u on lunch in work ?.

No you can not ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

I can top that.

3 Different orders over the space of 2 weeks all came in the same box !!!!

They used to be great now there shocking post wise

I've wished for that to happen ....and its never happened once ,pricks ! ! ! they are desperate slow these days though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

geotrig wrote: »
    I've wished for that to happen ....and its never happened once ,pricks ! ! ! they are desperate slow these days though.

I wish they had wrapped up the things in the box to make it worse.

A 2 Vinyls a game and coffee mugs with a bit of paper between them it could have everything broke in the box. Only the case of one of the vinyls and the game had marks on them from the stupid shipping they used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Ordered my copy 4 hours ago. Turned up on my door for £32.
    One of the perks of living in the UK.
    Saved £10 by signing up for a Prime trial. Then there's an offer for £10 off your first Prime Now order over £40.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

You're dead right too. Early adopters of the Switch( and I'm one of them) have been royally shafted IMO. It seems to have been rushed out by nintendo. If you don't like Zelda, which my son doesn't, there's bugger all else. The Gui(is that what's called?) looks like something thrown together in the software equivalent of shop. The wifi on it is rubbish compared to the Wii u in the same location. I'm sure in time it'll be a great console but right now it's gathering dust in our house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Guys how are you getting on with MarioKart 8 Deluxe?!? Even though I have MK8 for Wii U I would totally buy it for Switch if I had one because the prospect of playing it anywhere I go is so appealing to me. I want to hear reactions and live vicariously through your experiences because I'm still currently Switchless. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mario Kart Deluxe is already the best selling game on Amazon.com in 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Just turned it on there.

Grrrrrrrr. Took me ages to try to sign in my Nintendo account, which despite me firing up the wiiu to make sure all the details were right, turns out it didn't matter, it wouldn't accept them.

But MK8 is forcing me to select a Mii, which I can't bring over from previous consoles.

Bad start, i don't want to create yet another one of myself.

• Advertisement

Right. Made a mii.

May have enjoyed that more than I expected. Ahem.

Race time!!

Love this game. Feels different, though.

First GP, hit by a blue shell in every single race.

Second gp. Blue shell in every race. Twice in one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    You're dead right too. Early adopters of the Switch( and I'm one of them) have been royally shafted IMO. It seems to have been rushed out by nintendo. If you don't like Zelda, which my son doesn't, there's bugger all else. The Gui(is that what's called?) looks like something thrown together in the software equivalent of shop. The wifi on it is rubbish compared to the Wii u in the same location. I'm sure in time it'll be a great console but right now it's gathering dust in our house.

If people don't like the Switch that's completely fine and their opinion, but how have early adopters been shafted?? People knew what was out well in advance and what would be coming out in the first few weeks. I'm sorry but if someone bought a Switch and complains about the game lineup in the first few weeks it's their own fault for not checking what was out.

Corholio wrote: »
    If people don't like the Switch that's completely fine and their opinion, but how have early adopters been shafted?? People knew what was out well in advance and what would be coming out in the first few weeks. I'm sorry but if someone bought a Switch and complains about the game lineup in the first few weeks it's their own fault for not checking what was out.

I'm feeling like I've betrayed Link for sticking Mario Kart on before I've beaten Ganon.

I've already got too many things to do on the bleedin Switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Corholio wrote: »

Well I'm speaking more as a parent than a gamer(and realise I'm not really in the right place for that). You're right I did know what was coming out in advance(largely thanks to this forum) and I did have reservations about getting it at launch but caved when I saw how much my son wanted it. I do feel a bit hard done by though in other respects, e.g. the Wi-Fi reception compared to the Wii U. Also the lack of Miiverse(or similar) and youtube. The whole feel of the GUI is just so sparse and sandboxy compared to the Wii U and Wii for that matter. Maybe I'm wrong to expect more early on in its life. There's a kind of warmth to Wii U that isn't there with the Switch. My son really has little interest it so far - he likes snippet clips but game time is almost exclusively Wii U still. He's happy to be the first kid in his class and among his pals to have the Switch but I just hope that in a year's time he's still not the only one. Maybe the Switch isn't targeting kids and families the way the Wii and Wii U did?

Anyway, apologies for dragging this thread off-topic but sligeach's post struck a bit of a chord with me. "Shafted" is probably a bit strong too especially in a forum that largely loves the switch. It definitely has huge potential and I just hope it captures my sons imagination the way the Wii U has.

I'm sure we'll end up picking up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe too - back on-topic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I am having slot of fun with this online although it can quickly change from a good race to a bad one due to some of the power ups . Bullet bill especially.

Adiaga 2 wrote: »
    Well I'm speaking more as a parent than a gamer(and realise I'm not really in the right place for that). You're right I did know what was coming out in advance(largely thanks to this forum) and I did have reservations about getting it at launch but caved when I saw how much my son wanted it. I do feel a bit hard done by though in other respects, e.g. the Wi-Fi reception compared to the Wii U. Also the lack of Miiverse(or similar) and youtube. The whole feel of the GUI is just so sparse and sandboxy compared to the Wii U and Wii for that matter. Maybe I'm wrong to expect more early on in its life. There's a kind of warmth to Wii U that isn't there with the Switch. My son really has little interest it so far - he likes snippet clips but game time is almost exclusively Wii U still. He's happy to be the first kid in his class and among his pals to have the Switch but I just hope that in a year's time he's still not the only one. Maybe the Switch isn't targeting kids and families the way the Wii and Wii U did?

Anyway, apologies for dragging this thread off-topic but sligeach's post struck a bit of a chord with me. "Shafted" is probably a bit strong too especially in a forum that largely loves the switch. It definitely has huge potential and I just hope it captures my sons imagination the way the Wii U has.

I'm sure we'll end up picking up Mario Kart 8 Deluxe too - back on-topic :)

The GUI is sparse indeed, and I get what you're saying about warmth. I agree, in fact, but just to say it took a while for the WiiU to get there on that front. There were the same concerns when that was new.

Went on the eshop for the first time last night (because I had no reason to and the pricking round with NNIDs put me off). Jesus, the little game where you tried to match the pictures on WiiU was nice, even though there should have been something, even meaningless points for getting a match. But what is with the orange screen as it connects? It's manky and absolutely charmless.

Anyway, back OT, i'm only waking up now cos I was playing MK half the night. Which also might explain my grumpiness.

Are there many differences graphically? I've stayed away from all the vids before release (I always do this).

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭stevexo

One thing i don't like is if you are flying through the air you can still get tracked and hit by a red shell.
    Another is when a blue shell is coming for you, you still have your weapons after it hits you.
    And it's possible to disable a blue shell, that should never happen, it's the one certainty in a Mario kart game, blue shell = bye bye

Ive completed the 50cc grand prix, except for the first second or two in each race, i held first place easily, even getting hit by several blue shells.
    Starting the 100cc now, hopefully it's a bit more of a challenge.

(Is there a thread on here for sharing friend codes or can we post away in here)

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Man, holding on to 1st place is a far bigger challenge online now with double items. Went from 1st to 10th in the space of about 5-6 seconds. Got hit with 2 shells, some fireballs and a fella with a super star.

I love Mario Kart, but it can be a right cruel bastard sometimes :D

It's also the first game where I've somewhat noticed the HD Rumble. I turned the rumble off on Blaster Master, Fast RMX and Snake Pass but in Mario Kart it feels good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

stevexo wrote: »
    One thing i don't like is if you are flying through the air you can still get tracked and hit by a red shell.
    Another is when a blue shell is coming for you, you still have your weapons after it hits you.
    And it's possible to disable a blue shell, that should never happen, it's the one certainty in a Mario kart game, blue shell = bye bye

Ive completed the 50cc grand prix, except for the first second or two in each race, i held first place easily, even getting hit by several blue shells.
    Starting the 100cc now, hopefully it's a bit more of a challenge.

(Is there a thread on here for sharing friend codes or can we post away in here)

Pretty sure you could avoid blue shells for a while. My personal favourite way was to drive off the track just before impact.
    Fcuk you little brother!

I love Mario Kart, but it can be a right cruel bastard sometimes

This is the Essence of Mario kart :D

Been playing 4 player with the wife and kids all morning, it's been so great.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057713093

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Pretty sure you could avoid blue shells for a while. My personal favourite way was to drive off the track just before impact.
    Fcuk you little brother!

I have the GBA, GC and Wii mario karts, never played on DS or WiiU, maybe they included it then.
    I also noticed if you get inked when under water, you stay inked. But if you get inked on land then go under water, it washes off!
    Anyone else pick up on that or just some freak coincidence?

I also noticed if you get inked when under water, you stay inked. But if you get inked on land then go under water, it washes off!

Anyone else pick up on that or just some freak coincidence?

That's always been the way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

In a game where dinosaurs race italian plumbers in go karts armed with shells, a little suspension of disbelief is expected.
    As is consistency, which appears to be absent!
    Why does ink even remain on the screen?
    Where is it sitting?
    The drivers eyeballs?
    Pretty sure a lot of vehicles don't have windscreens!!

Ah, now you've all ruined MK8Dx for me!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Maybe a lakitu camera man following you (like Mario 64?) :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mr E wrote: »

And it has to swap out the camera for a fishing rod to yank you back to the track after a misfortune!
    Explains why it is always on time!

Mr E wrote: »

I don't think so, i just saw one fly around when i completed a lap and it had a shadow...

• Advertisement

The only problem I've had is it seems to have revealed I have a wonky left joycon after all. I've been playing mobile mostly so it's not really come up until now.

Advertisement