Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

fixxxer wrote: »
    The only problem I've had is it seems to have revealed I have a wonky left joycon after all. I've been playing mobile mostly so it's not really come up until now.

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

The only problem I've had is it seems to have revealed I have a wonky left joycon after all. I've been playing mobile mostly so it's not really come up until now.

Same here, I bought the Pro Controller this morning, so much better now

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dave0JV

Did anybody try getting the wheel accessories? If so, are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Getting nothing but communication errors when try to play online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Had that a little bit yesterday but then it worked for the rest of the night from the same spot in the house where it had some communication issues earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Sarn

Getting nothing but communication errors when try to play online

Have you tried restarting your console by holding the power button down and rebooting it? I've found that my connection fails when the unit has been left in standby for a long period.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Loving it so far. Was painfull to start coming last most races, droped to under 900 points but got the hang of it now and back over the 1000 you start at lol. Still yet to win a race online. Couple of 2nd finishes but i always get hammered by shells coming up to the end haha.

No joy con issues here. Played about 10 hours split screen and yet to have a disconnect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I have come across the exact problem! I normally play on portable mode, and I got a couple of connection drops when playing on the TV with this. Probably more noticeable than Zelda as it requires a lot more accuracy.

I actually got onto Amazon. They did offer me a refund, which I didn't want as I would have to source another console, and more importantly, lose my Zelda saves!

They gave me back 15% credit, which actually funds a new left Joycon, or I can add a bit and get a new Pro controller or a new set of joycons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

lankz92 wrote: »
    Loving it so far. Was painfull to start coming last most races, droped to under 900 points but got the hang of it now and back over the 1000 you start at lol. Still yet to win a race online. Couple of 2nd finishes but i always get hammered by shells coming up to the end haha.

No joy con issues here. Played about 10 hours split screen and yet to have a disconnect.
    have you tried hanging on to a green shell or banana and trailing it behind you by holding the left trigger in as you drive? That usually helps hold onto first place.

I might get online with this later is there a boards tourmement set up so I can whup your asses?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

I thought I had an issue with my left joycon too. It seemed to be continually steering my cart to the left. Turns out it was just the gyro controls interfering with my steering.

Could be a similar issue for the other posters here?

I thought I had an issue with my left joycon too. It seemed to be continually steering my cart to the left. Turns out it was just the gyro controls interfering with my steering.

I was thinking that. I noticed that was happening after about 10 seconds of playing but the family didn't and I think it actually helped them steer without knowing it.

I did check that. It's off for me. This was me going off the track due to the drop so it wasn't the assist which keeps you on the track.

iamtony wrote: »
    have you tried hanging on to a green shell or banana and trailing it behind you by holding the left trigger in as you drive? That usually helps hold onto first place.

Have been trying that. Still get battered by multiple things. Did manage my first win tonight tho so im improving. Have drifting down pretty well now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,142 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

There's definitely a smart steering option interfering with play - turns out you can apparently turn it off in the pause menu when starting a race.
    Haven't got it in front of me to try out just now though.

Noticed a few control issues along these lines, but I've noticed it with the Pro pad as well, so it's not a Joycon fault. Will take a look for that driving assist option to see if it clears it up.

http://twinfinite.net/2017/04/mario-kart-8-deluxe-how-to-turn-off-smart-steering/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

One of the comments talks about how to disable it properly, without having to pause before a race:
    Hi. Came across your article when looking up other stuff, but just wanted to point out a correction since this is one of the first links that pop up when googling "How to turn off smart assist in Mario Kart 8" You can actually turn off Smart Steering when selecting your car, wheel, and glider. On the bottom you'll see the +/- symbol. Hit that, and a screen to the right should pop up showing your kart's stats like speed, acceleration, etc. On the bottom, you'll see a small bar of options. Here is where you can turn it off. Simply press "L" and it will toggle it on and off. Pressing Y toggles motion control, and pressing R will toggle auto acceleration option. Just wanted to share!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is there a setting to allow me to win against children, I am concerned that I'm going to made a fool of by Cidonalad....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Why are all speeds and cups available from the start , 50cc - 200cc. Should it not be that you need to complete 50cc before being allowed access to the higher speeds? I started off on 150cc, it feels like there's no incentive to start at the slower speeds

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Why are all speeds and cups available from the start , 50cc - 200cc. Should it not be that you need to complete 50cc before being allowed access to the higher speeds? I started off on 150cc, it feels like there's no incentive to start at the slower speeds

I suppose you have to keep in mind that the game is for people of all ages and experience levels, not just those who are good at racing titles or who owned the game in it's initial incarnation on the WiiU.
    Nintendo games are known for their inclusive qualities, typically bringing players in gently, in lieu of a tutorial sequence, and then ramp up the challenge.
    By offering 50/100cc they allow a player to develop their skill set and track familiarity and also allow players who are simply not that good at this sort of game to have a lot of fun with it.
    The auto-steer/auto throttle is a lot like the golden raccoon suit in the Mario platformers, experienced players are free to ignore them but players with less capability or experience can use them rather than rage quit and never play them again. They included the wing and mellow mode in Yoshi's Wooly World for the same reasons.

By making those early speeds optional to the experienced/competent player they are also paying respect to those who don't want to have to crawl around at slow speeds, when they really want to F-Zero the whole blasted thing sideways!

It's also one of the short sighted reasons people unaccustomed to Nintendo games think they are for kids.
    Would they expect COD4:MW to be judged on the opening tutorial mission? No, then they should think no differently about Nintendo first party games either...
    Apologies, might have veered off into another topic there....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I thought it was a good move having all the options open. We've three different skill levels in our house so it really helped everyone to jump in at a level that suited them. Otherwise everyone has to sit and watch dad have fun while he unlocks the stuff for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Ive been making my way through 50cc before moving up, not sure why just felt like the right thing to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭stevexo

iamtony wrote: »
    I might get online with this later is there a boards tourmement set up so I can whup your asses?
    A tournament is something for a set day and time, if you jump on the other thread and add everyone's code, you can see them online, create a room and they can join. You can set it to be just human players or add in the cpu at different difficulties.

As for the incentive to start on 50cc, you earn coins which unlocks vehicles, tyres and flying gear. I guess if you want them all unlocked you g gotta complete them all. Unless you are into time trials, i think you get coins for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Does online count for coins, and does it count EVERYONE's coins?

Also, if you have enough controllers, shouldn't you race every GP as 4 player with Steering and Accel assist on so you have 3 drones collecting coins for you at all times?

Ive been making my way through 50cc before moving up, not sure why just felt like the right thing to do!

I started like that but after one or two races, I swapped up to 100cc. Just finishing over 3* on those cups before moving up to 150cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭stevexo

Banjo wrote: »
    Does online count for coins, and does it count EVERYONE's coins?

Also, if you have enough controllers, shouldn't you race every GP as 4 player with Steering and Accel assist on so you have 3 drones collecting coins for you at all times?
    Online has its own coins score.
    When playing the gp, the coins you collect during the race are different to the coins you earn by winning a gp. Max you get for winning a gp is 30 coins, but you can collect up to 40 while racing... The ones during the race only affect your speed.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I suppose you have to keep in mind that the game is for people of all ages and experience levels, not just those who are good at racing titles or who owned the game in it's initial incarnation on the WiiU.
    Nintendo games are known for their inclusive qualities, typically bringing players in gently, in lieu of a tutorial sequence, and then ramp up the challenge.
    By offering 50/100cc they allow a player to develop their skill set and track familiarity and also allow players who are simply not that good at this sort of game to have a lot of fun with it.
    The auto-steer/auto throttle is a lot like the golden raccoon suit in the Mario platformers, experienced players are free to ignore them but players with less capability or experience can use them rather than rage quit and never play them again. They included the wing and mellow mode in Yoshi's Wooly World for the same reasons.

By making those early speeds optional to the experienced/competent player they are also paying respect to those who don't want to have to crawl around at slow speeds, when they really want to F-Zero the whole blasted thing sideways!

It's also one of the short sighted reasons people unaccustomed to Nintendo games think they are for kids.
    Would they expect COD4:MW to be judged on the opening tutorial mission? No, then they should think no differently about Nintendo first party games either...
    Apologies, might have veered off into another topic there....

Agreed. Something strange happened today. My wife asked me to play Mario Kart. That is the first time in our time together that she has EVER asked to play a game. She, and my son, do use the assist for steering, and it makes the game a lot more fun for then. Rainbow Road would be painful for them without it.

stevexo wrote: »
    Online has its own coins score.
    When playing the gp, the coins you collect during the race are different to the coins you earn by winning a gp. Max you get for winning a gp is 30 coins, but you can collect up to 40 while racing... The ones during the race only affect your speed.

The ones online do count towards unclocks. Iv been getting stuff unlock after playing online. Granted its much slower because you get hit a lot and usually finish with only a couple left but it does count towards the total.

• Advertisement

chrislad wrote: »
    Agreed. Something strange happened today. My wife asked me to play Mario Kart. That is the first time in our time together that she has EVER asked to play a game. She, and my son, do use the assist for steering, and it makes the game a lot more fun for then. Rainbow Road would be painful for them without it.

You should have seen us playing 8 player, LAN linked Mario Kart Double Dash on a pair of Gamecubes hooked up to projectors in my back garden a couple of years ago.
    We played Rainbow Road and it was just a free-fall free-for-all, as everyone spent more time being fished back to the track by Lakitu than actually racing.
    The winner was the person who fell off the least, which was Mr Smug, King of Smugland, Retr0.... git!

Advertisement