Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭stesaurus

I thought I had an issue with my left joycon too. It seemed to be continually steering my cart to the left. Turns out it was just the gyro controls interfering with my steering.

Could be a similar issue for the other posters here?

Massive arguments in my house last night over this. I was convinced the joycon was bogey so i switched with the wife and she swore blind I was obviously imagining it. It didn't help my argument that the new controller was doing the same when I tried that.
    She thought I was making excuses for losing to her. Turns out I just can't sit straight. Stupid aids should be off by default.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

stesaurus wrote: »
    Massive arguments in my house last night over this. I was convinced the joycon was bogey so i switched with the wife and she swore blind I was obviously imagining it. It didn't help my argument that the new controller was doing the same when I tried that.
    She thought I was making excuses for losing to her. Turns out I just can't sit straight. Stupid aids should be off by default.

Problem I have is it loses connection not far from the Switch. It works if you site under the TV (my usual spot) but any farther back and it disconnects. Seems to have charging issues as well.

Mario Kart has been a bit of a revelation in our house. My wife and the older two kids were all playing over the long weekend which never happens. They find my usual stuff boring or its too complicated for the kids. My sister and her fella were over too and they played a bit as well. Its quite amazing how well they game works from one end of the gamer spectrum to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Got my fiancé playing over the weekend and she was picking up the basics and some tricky stuff quickly enough. Few laps around Baby Park and she had drifting down perfect.

Flew through 50cc in one go, now clearing 100cc to get more karts and stuff. Once I've a handle on 150cc, I'll start poking around online. It's been a few years since I've played a Mario Kart game so I've yet to shake off the rust.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭maximoose

Dave0JV wrote: »
    Did anybody try getting the wheel accessories? If so, are they any good?

I got a pair of the official ones from Smyths

The joycon fits nicely and they are comfortable enough to use, but I'm really not a fan of that method of steering and found myself just using the analogue stick again quickly.

OH loves them but I'm not a fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sooo...

I tend to fear change, so I played through all of the WiiU game just using Koopa Troopa and standard everything.

Anyone have any better ideas on how to approach it this time?

So far I've been using the mii they forced me to create. And trying to cope with the first mii I've ever made with grey hair. :(

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Sooo...

I tend to fear change, so I played through all of the WiiU game just using Koopa Troopa and standard everything.

Anyone have any better ideas on how to approach it this time?

So far I've been using the mii they forced me to create. And trying to cope with the first mii I've ever made with grey hair. :(

From my own experience;

Start light with good acceleration, as you get better, go for speed and weight. Either handling or grip involve being off-road which is useless as you'll be spending all of your time on the track.

I've faced excellent players who have whupped my ass who have done other things but it's what suits me. I'm working my way back up to using Bowser properly.

My Mii is now completely bald :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Can you still upload videos of Luigi's death stare in this one?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Guys and gals, talk to me.

Blue Shell...is it as bad as other MK games? Am I going to throw a controller off a wall?

FutureGuy wrote: »

Blue Shell...is it as bad as other MK games? Am I going to throw a controller off a wall?

Yes. Especially if it's Blue Shell, Red Shell and Lightning in the same five second interval costing you first place.

The red box, hooting thing can help though as it destroys all incoming projectiles including Blue Shells. Not sure how I feel about this yet. Historically a Blue Shell is a death knell, you know you're screwed when the beeping starts or it appears on the mini-map. Being able to avert certain death cheapens it a bit. Granted it's not that common a power-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Rhyme wrote: »
    Yes. Especially if it's Blue Shell, Red Shell and Lightning in the same five second interval costing you first place.

The red box, hooting thing can help though as it destroys all incoming projectiles including Blue Shells. Not sure how I feel about this yet. Historically a Blue Shell is a death knell, you know you're screwed when the beeping starts or it appears on the mini-map. Being able to avert certain death cheapens it a bit. Granted it's not that common a power-up.

you could avoid a blue shell with mushrooms if you timed it just right too but at least there was a skill involved in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Online, I don't think it will ever be a possibility that a blue shell will be used on me, such is my talent.

you could avoid a blue shell with mushrooms if you timed it just right too but at least there was a skill involved in it.

I favoured the 'driving off the edge of the course' option :)

Actually, speaking of which, I've found doing so is less of a penalty in this game. I remember in the SNES and N64 versions it almost guaranteed you losing a place or two whereas now Lakitu nips in pretty quickly, grabs you and drops you down (minus a few coins) and off he pops all very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I could be imagining it, but it seems way more common than in the WiiU version.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on Nintendo Switch fixes acceleration problem in Wii U original

https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/2/15514358/mario-kart-8-deluxe-acceleration-fixed-nintendo-switch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

My tactic when faced with an incoming blue shell would often involve decelerating just as it was about to hit, and letting the blast radius affect a few of the nearby racers as collateral. If I'm going down, I'm taking a few of you down with me! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,444 ✭✭✭Nollog

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Can you still upload videos of Luigi's death stare in this one?

Nope. It'll probably be added with the video capture feature when that comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Rhyme wrote: »

Its a great feeling when you defeat a blue shell with the horn though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

iamtony wrote: »
    Its a great feeling when you defeat a blue shell with the horn though.

Dr. Freud would like a word with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭maximoose

maximoose wrote: »
    I got a pair of the official ones from Smyths

The joycon fits nicely and they are comfortable enough to use, but I'm really not a fan of that method of steering and found myself just using the analogue stick again quickly.

OH loves them but I'm not a fan.

Have to revise this now :pac:

Gave them another go lastnight, and I found after a bit of getting used to them using them I was still using the analogue stick to do the majority of steering - but using the motion control alongside it on tough corners definitely has a good impact on cornerning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

Did anyone use amazon to pre-order this?
    Got a shipping notice on Friday to say delivery would be yesterday (free standard shipping, with an An Post tracking number that was not recognised).
    thats just got revised to expected delivery on the 9th.
    Are Amazon usually this poor?, I have'nt bought much games in years but they used to send before the release date to get a day or two after release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Mthor5 wrote: »
    Got a shipping notice on Friday to say delivery would be yesterday (free standard shipping, with an An Post tracking number that was not recognised).
    Are Amazon usually this poor?, I have'nt bought much games in years but they used to send before the release date to get a day or two after release.

Happened to me as well was shipped on Thursday and still no tracking number working. Was Due yesterday and now saying the 9th.

Had another parcel Posted Whensday and that has a tracking number and is in dublin for a few days now with no signs going to me down in cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

Happened to me as well was shipped on Thursday and still no tracking number working. Was Due yesterday and now saying the 9th.

Had another parcel Posted Whensday and that has a tracking number and is in dublin for a few days now with no signs going to me down in cork.

Exact same with me. Awaiting delivery of this, shipped 28th, given tracking number that didn't work, now revised date of next week!

Should get onto Amazon, might give you something

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Since they have started using Asendia, then the deliveries to here have been atrocious!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

Star Lord wrote: »
    Since they have started using Asendia, then the deliveries to here have been atrocious!

Its an An Post tracking number though? Is that the same?? Do Asendia hand over to An Post or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

Yes, Asendia are atrocious. The few times I've been unfortunate to get them as a courier it's been weeks late or a no show.
    Was on to Amazon chat; mistake with the carrier?, got a £5 credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Since tesco decided to send me two copies of Mario Kart (and charge me for two) I have a copy here I'll sell for costs, which is 40 euro + 4 euro parcel motel fee for €44, any takers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Yes, Asendia are atrocious. The few times I've been unfortunate to get them as a courier it's been weeks late or a no show.
    Was on to Amazon chat; mistake with the carrier?, got a £5 credit.

Got a txt there saying my parcel is ready to be picked up from some deep thats about 16KM from my house the hell amazon ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The buzziest day of the week. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

Yup, identical situation. Was on to Amazon chat there, they were apologetic but not much else, said to give the carrier more time. Will get back on tomorrow as I don't have much hope. Should have just gone to Smyths on launch day, the Amazon saving is only 15 quid, would have been well-offset by now, six days of fun later!

Advertisement