Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Mario Odyssey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I'm surprised that Odyssey's your first Mario game, and that the Switch is your first Nintendo console. Judging by your avatar, are you a Sonic/Sega fan?

And I'm glad you can really enjoy the 8-bit retro sections despite not growing up with the classics.

I went from Atari to PlayStation to all the Xbox' s. I played a lot of Sega at friends houses though growing up and loved the early Sonic games.
    I have since gone back and bought consoles I missed out on. I love the old style games and regularly have "old games" nights in the house with mates. I have an N64 but haven't got to play Mario 64 yet. Disgraceful i know!
    Got the Switch in June. Zelda has now become my favourite ever game. Mario Odyssey is off to a good start too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I went from Atari to PlayStation to all the Xbox' s. I played a lot of Sega at friends houses though growing up and loved the early Sonic games.
    I have since gone back and bought consoles I missed out on. I love the old style games and regularly have "old games" nights in the house with mates. I have an N64 but haven't got to play Mario 64 yet. Disgraceful i know!
    Got the Switch in June. Zelda has now become my favourite ever game. Mario Odyssey is off to a good start too.

Nintendo and Sony were my childhood console brands. I had the likes of the N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Game Boy, NES, SNES, and the PS2, all of which I still have today (although my GBA SP's not functioning). I only had an Xbox 360 for like less than a year since it got the Red Ring of Death. Got a PS3 as a result, which I had until a few months ago. I don't think the PS3 holds a candle to the 360; the console was difficult to develop games for, and as a result, framerate issues were rampant on the console's games. Though it does have its exclusives like the Ratchet & Clank games, namely Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time, none of which I got a chance to play unfortunately :(. I had the original Xbox for a brief period of time until it ceased to function properly. Along with that, I also had a PS1, although that suffered the same fate as my OG Xbox.

Lucky you, most of my classmates are just playing the typical FIFA/CoD/GTA combo these days. I've still 2 2/3 years of school (I'm in 4th year right now) to go, then I'll be able to break from the hellhole that is secondary school and meet more interesting people more easily in college.

Mario 64 is possibly the first real game I've ever played. Before that, it was some cheap plug-and-play console I was glad to have back then.

I'm hella looking forward to playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild when I get it with the Switch for Christmas. Same goes for Mario Odyssey, but Zelda is the one that really intrigues me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Would people recommend just doing enough to complete the game now and doing the exploring after end game? I am doing a bit of both at the mo, not trying to 100% any world but getting a good feel for each then moving on. I'd say I pumped about 15 hours in so far and have just got to the 5th world

Yeah I think I’d leave the full exploring until later. There are some moons in some levels that you can’t get until after you finish the main story anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

There's a serious bang of Mario Sunshine off this.

It's just magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

While HD Rumble isn't groundbreaking, nor was it ever made out to be, it sure does add a great immersive experience throughout this game. From revving the scooter to the zips to the 'fizzy' water it adds great little moments that pull you in there and then.

Between this, the 'ice cubes' and Golf Story it shows the nice addition it can be to games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Corholio wrote: »
    While HD Rumble isn't groundbreaking, nor was it ever made out to be, it sure does add a great immersive experience throughout this game. From revving the scooter to the zips to the 'fizzy' water it adds great little moments that pull you in there and then.

Between this, the 'ice cubes' and Golf Story it shows the nice addition it can be to games.
    I love the rumble in golf story. This console has legs. I think it will be very successful not only with the big hitter games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

New donk was great, can't wait to go back for all the moons after main story is complete. It's up there with the black Betty music level in rayman for sheer fun Ness.
    For anyone not familiar with the traditional Mario format, it's made so everyone, not just seasoned gamers can play though the main game and then the fun really starts and the frustration and the 50 deaths to complete one objective. I always tell people who aren't really enjoying a a mario game to come back to me when you've 100% completed it and you will have a different opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

https://twitter.com/alamo0de/status/925662068815962112

This is the fastest score in the Luncheon Kingdom so far. Don't think I'll ever be reaching this level of platforming :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

iamtony wrote: »
    New donk was great, can't wait to go back for all the moons after main story is complete. It's up there with the black Betty music level in rayman for sheer fun Ness.
    For anyone not familiar with the traditional Mario format, it's made so everyone, not just seasoned gamers can play though the main game and then the fun really starts and the frustration and the 50 deaths to complete one objective. I always tell people who aren't really enjoying a a mario game to come back to me when you've 100% completed it and you will have a different opinion.

Yeah, it's amazing. I'm enjoying it immensly, but part of me really just wants to get the main story over so I can get into the more satisfying bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Corholio wrote: »

I love the rumble when you’re riding the scooter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

How are you enjoying the game's art style? IMO, I don't have anything against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

I love the rumble when you’re riding the scooter.

I like when you're aiming in the tanks and you can almost feel the clicks as you turn to shoot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I like when you're aiming in the tanks and you can almost feel the clicks as you turn to shoot.

Best moment so far. I tried to perform a jump I figured was too far away to make. It was. I missed horribly, fell to my death, was starting to contemplate how much groundwork needed to be done all over again to get back to that exact point when, instead of dying, I fell into a magic undiscovered area.

I mean, cmon!!!!! Bloody awesome!! There’s no way I would have found that area if I hadn’t tried to make a ridiculous jump.

That’s what I love about Mario. Genuine fun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loving the carbonated water, the whole game feels like something we'll be still talking about in two decades time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've changed my strategy and I've stopped scouring for every moon before moving on. I nearly got burned out on Tostarena and it was killing the fun factor.

I'm just playing the main campaign now. I look forward to finding all the moons post-game. :)

Got through Cloud, Lost World and Metro this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Just finished there. Man that last song is catchy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Now charging the Switch for the 3rd time in 24 hours. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

I’ve just finished the main game. Played solidly for 5 hours today. I’m back at Cap Kingdom. How do I get out to the metallic box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

shuffles03 wrote: »
    I’ve just finished the main game. Played solidly for 5 hours today. I’m back at Cap Kingdom. How do I get out to the metallic box?
    Capture a paragoomba

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Anyone getting a bit of a conker's bad fur day buzz off this?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm hesitant to say this. Because there is no going back. I'm 40 and I have played them all.

This could be my favorite Mario game ever.

The number of times up to NDC that I have actually laughed in utter joy has gone beyond count at this stage.

I can see myself 100%-ing this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Mr E wrote: »
    I've changed my strategy and I've stopped scouring for every moon before moving on. I nearly got burned out on Tostarena and it was killing the fun factor.

I'm just playing the main campaign now. I look forward to finding all the moons post-game. :)

Got through Cloud, Lost World and Metro this morning.

Yeah I am not 100% each world as it goes. I'm getting way past what is needed in terms of moons required for progression but I'll eventually move on. Tostarena is so open, but for a new player who is getting to grips with controls, it's the perfect sandbox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,025 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i ordered off amazon last friday week, but it is only arriving today. looking forward to getting stuck into it tonight !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I've loving this so much. I've 100% on 3 worlds now, and working through the Sand Kingdom coins and Wooded Kingdom now. I'm on about 690 moons, and I still need about 13k coins for the last few costumes. Amazingly fun game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

600 stars in and now browsing each world for new things to do and am never disappointed. If a star takes more than a few tries and I start to get frustrated I just leave and I might come back for it.

Tried the
    two extra challenges on the moon, dark side and darker side
    and got frustrated. I think I'd need to really knuckle down to beat them and, for the time being, I'm enjoying being spoiled by an incredible game.

Not sure if I'll try to 100% the game, I'd be worried I'll suck all the fun out of it in doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Finished the story last night, end was just brilliant imo. Had around 260 moons at the end.

Can't wait to go hunting the rest now, unfortunately due to work and study I'll probably only be playing at weekends for the next month :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Looking forward to watching a few speed runs of this, should be good!

Does anything special come with the Mario Switch bundle to justify the €424.99 price in Argos vs the €329.99 plain old switch price besides the download code for Mario itself?

Controller colour doesn't bother me.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Paladonia

Are people using the Parrot/Toad much for moon hints?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Anyone getting a bit of a conker's bad fur day buzz off this?

There hasn't been an opera singing pile of sh1te so far so, no, no Conker vibe as yet.
    Unless, that is, the late game stuff goes really mental...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

One thing that really pulls me out of the game is the signal drop on the left controller. It happens far too often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

One thing that really pulls me out of the game is the signal drop on the left controller. It happens far too often.

I've been playing Mario Odyssey a lot with the joy cons split up and thankfully haver had no signal drop on the left controller. I did experience a tiny bit of it back in the early days playing BOTW though.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

That's a known issue, it's been out there since day one. Most common cause is a lack of shielding foam in the joycon. If you've updated your Switch FW and restarted and it's still happening you may want to look into getting that replaced/repaired.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Banjo wrote: »
    That's a known issue, it's been out there since day one. Most common cause is a lack of shielding foam in the joycon. If you've updated your Switch FW and restarted and it's still happening you may want to look into getting that replaced/repaired.

Have they said whether it's fixed in newer units? (Assuming they admitted it was an actual hardware fault.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Yeah, way back in March they said that it was a manufacturing "variation" that would not be an issue "moving forward".
    And then some guy got his back from repair and found that all they'd done was add a little capacitive sponge near the bluetooth chip, or something like that.

So I guess that means for security if you're buying a new set of joycons you should go for the Mario Red or Splatoon Neons to be sure you get a quality product.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Does anything special come with the Mario Switch bundle to justify the €424.99 price in Argos vs the €329.99 plain old switch price besides the download code for Mario itself?

Controller colour doesn't bother me.
    That same bundle with red controllers and everything is 389.99 in smyths, do t know what Argos are thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Sparko

So, in the end section of the game:
    Darker side of the moon has me so frustrated I've had to turn the game off before I break something. My neighbours are probably wondering why I've been shouting obscenities all afternoon.

iamtony wrote: »
    That same bundle with red controllers and everything is 389.99 in smyths, do t know what Argos are thinking.

Looks like there's little enough to be gained by going for the bundle over the individual items even at that price, unless you want the red controllers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

So to those who finished it, lives up to the hype? Best mario game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

So to those who finished it, lives up to the hype? Best mario game?

Yes. No.

Most fun game this year and possibly last few years imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

So to those who finished it,
    Finished the story. Have made a good dent in the rest of it but I'm not a "must 100% everything" type of gamer. Not bored of this just yet though.
    lives up to the hype?

Yeah I think so. It's such a joy to play.
    Best mario game?

Mario Odyssey is really good, but a couple things might stop me naming it the best:

– Motion controls. I know you can get on mostly fine without them but when there's buttons going to waste and I'm told to "shake joy-con for X"... ugh.

– It's fun, but it's never very difficult. That's not necessarily a failing (I'll take fun over difficult any day) but it made the game, or at least the story part of it, seem quite short. Some of the side missions take more time but if you just want to do the story it's a bit of a (admittedly fun) straight walk to the finish line.

I think Mario 3 and the first Mario Galaxy rank higher in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

interesting, thanks lads! I must say motion controls are about as desirable as headlice IMO. Glad you hate them too but still love it!

keane2097 wrote: »
    Looks like there's little enough to be gained by going for the bundle over the individual items even at that price, unless you want the red controllers.
    in smyths they have an offer of a switch(normal or neon) and a select game which can be mario for 379.99 so cheaper to buy separately. Unless you want the red of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just finished New Donk City. Best level so far, mostly down to the ending. Epic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finally started last night. Just got the triple moon in New Donk City

Is there a knack to doing things like the spin and throwing up/down. Any time I try a spin by jerking the joycons sideways it does the homing. So I just keep shaking until it spins. For up and down motions, he just throws the cap forward on its side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭jos22

so far I have beat the main story and going back for all the other moons. at this stage it's my third favourite 3D mario behind mario 64 and galaxy. having finished the main story I now have wish that Nintendo would re release mario 64 in HD using the odyssey engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Finally started last night. Just got the triple moon in New Donk City

Is there a knack to doing things like the spin and throwing up/down. Any time I try a spin by jerking the joycons sideways it does the homing. So I just keep shaking until it spins. For up and down motions, he just throws the cap forward on its side

I find instead of 'snapping' the joycons, hold them and move them sideways fast without twisting your wrist. Can also circle the joystick in a tight circle to do the spin as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I do have to question some of those high skipping scores

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I do have to question some of those high skipping scores

You mean you can't do 55,000 skips? Pffttt. Amateur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Bought a switch on Saturday and also Mario Odyssey. Loving it so far although have to say it's super easy and not all that challenging. Great fun nevertheless!

I'm just doing enough to get me to the next level and then when I have got to the end I'll revisit each level and try to get 100% completion (did Donk city last night)

• Advertisement
Advertisement