Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Mario Odyssey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Difficultly is always relative to a players previous game experience and skill.

Odyssey is not an easy game for anyone new to Mario or platform games. It's accessible for everyone but harder difficultly doesn't come until later or the side quests. The games movement mechanics and main quest progression means it has a very low skill floor - anyone can play it - and a very high skill ceiling. Mastery of the movement mechanics opens up a world of tougher alternate paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

kingtut wrote: »
    Bought a switch on Saturday and also Mario Odyssey. Loving it so far although have to say it's super easy and not all that challenging. Great fun nevertheless!

I'm just doing enough to get me to the next level and then when I have got to the end I'll revisit each level and try to get 100% completion (did Donk city last night)

I'm dying tons of times. It's cause I try and get as many moons as I can before moving on.

Also I think Nintendo did a little nod to dark souls in that you can collect the coins you've lost after you die by returning to the same spot (this doesn't always happen though)

As mentioned it's easy to proceed just like it was in 64 and Sunshine but the real challenge lies in getting all the stars/shines/moons.

In 64 I only got 70-something and I got over a hundred in Sunshine but I refuse to use guides when playing games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I think I got all in SM64 and SM64DS. Sunshine, I only scraped the surface of. Speaking of Galaxy, I got all stars as Mario but not as Luigi at the time of writing this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is the minimum number of moons required due a kingdom always the same or is it based on how many you have?
    For the plot, I assume the minimum is always the same. But at the same time it seems a bit unfair that I require 50 altogether to move on while someone else only requires 40

Picture Match!

You got 63 points.
    You got 67 points.
    You got 54 points.
    You got 60 something
    You got 74 points.
    You got 77 points.
    You got 67 points
    You got 70 something
    60 something
    40 (oh dear!)

You got.....81 points!

YEAHHHH! F**k you Toad! YEAHHHH:D
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is the minimum number of moons required due a kingdom always the same or is it based on how many you have?
    For the plot, I assume the minimum is always the same. But at the same time it seems a bit unfair that I require 50 altogether to move on while someone else only requires 40

Each kingdom (bar one) requires a fixed number of moons for the Odyssey to be able to travel there. How you obtain these moons is actually immaterial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AOWAO.de

Nintendo Switch Club Ireland on FB - Anyone interested?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1987548864858138/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I hope I can ask this without spoilers, but what's the craic with the shops? They sell clothes and that? Do I actually need to buy anything, i've wandered to what is apparently the last level without buying anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I hope I can ask this without spoilers, but what's the craic with the shops? They sell clothes and that? Do I actually need to buy anything, i've wandered to what is apparently the last level without buying anything?

Every level has one moon for sale, and some have outfits that let you access areas you couldn't otherwise where you can get at least one moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    You mean you played through new donk without the gangster suit? That copy of your game deserves someone better shame on you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Turtwig wrote: »
    Picture Match!

You got 63 points.
    You got 67 points.
    You got 54 points.
    You got 60 something
    You got 74 points.
    You got 77 points.
    You got 67 points
    You got 70 something
    60 something
    40 (oh dear!)

You got.....81 points!

YEAHHHH! F**k you Toad! YEAHHHH:D

Each kingdom (bar one) requires a fixed number of moons for the Odyssey to be able to travel there. How you obtain these moons is actually immaterial.

Is now a good time to say there's a second moon on those that requires you to get 90 points? No? Yes? I'm really not sure. :D

I'm on 872 moons. Just have to collect about 26 purple coins from a couple of kingdoms, do one Picture Match (where's my tracing paper!?), and then do the Darker Side of the Moon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

iamtony wrote: »
    You mean you played through new donk without the gangster suit? That copy of your game deserves someone better shame on you!

I confess I did the same :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

chrislad wrote: »
    Is now a good time to say there's a second moon on those that requires you to get 90 points? No? Yes? I'm really not sure. :D

I'm on 872 moons. Just have to collect about 26 purple coins from a couple of kingdoms, do one Picture Match (where's my tracing paper!?), and then do the Darker Side of the Moon.

With the picture match, can you take a picture with the capture button, then use it as reference? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Seriously? I got 86 on the first one I did to get the moon! Dammit!!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Couple of questions about Odyssey chaps:

- Can you have multiple game saves?
    - Is there any local co-op? I think I read a second player can control the cap - but can you control a second character like you could in Mario 3D World?

Just wondering if it's possible to play together with the kids or is it mainly a single player experience. Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Andrew76 wrote: »
    - Can you have multiple game saves?

No, but you can use multiple user accounts on the Switch – and therefor multiple unique instances of game data. Two people playing (on two different user accounts) won't overwrite each others game.
    - Is there any local co-op? I think I read a second player can control the cap - but can you control a second character like you could in Mario 3D World?

Yeah, one player can control the cap. I've not tried it but it looks like a bit of a novelty than anything else. Could work well to get the kids involved or playing together though.
    Just wondering if it's possible to play together with the kids or is it mainly a single player experience. Cheers.

It's mainly, if not totally, single player but plenty of opportunity to take turns at missions etc.

I think it'd work great with kids. Not necessarily playing at the same time, but taking turns and cheering each other on.

• Advertisement

Goodshape wrote: »
    No, but you can use multiple user accounts on the Switch – and therefor multiple unique instances of game data. Two people playing (on two different user accounts) won't overwrite each others game.

Yeah, one player can control the cap. I've not tried it but it looks like a bit of a novelty than anything else. Could work well to get the kids involved or playing together though.

It's mainly, if not totally, single player but plenty of opportunity to take turns at missions etc.

I think it'd work great with kids. Not necessarily playing at the same time, but taking turns and cheering each other on.

Ok cool, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's a bit of a tangent, but if asynchronous Mario multiplayer is your thing, Mario Maker is great - get one of the kids to leave the room and the remaining kids of all ages have X amount of time to craft the evilest level they can before calling them back in. Set up a challenge ladder, winner gets the comfy chair for the night.

Banjo wrote: »
    It's a bit of a tangent, but if asynchronous Mario multiplayer is your thing, Mario Maker is great - get one of the kids to leave the room and the remaining kids of all ages have X amount of time to craft the evilest level they can before calling them back in. Set up a challenge ladder, winner gets the comfy chair for the night.

Cheers but that game is too much like hard work. :pac:
    The eldest has it on his 2DS so wouldn't be getting it again.

And done!

I was in Argos and saw they had the Bowser Wedding amiibo. My son told me that it helps find purple coins so that helped with the last 30 or so. I went to replay Darker Side of the Moon which annoyed me a lot, and I cleared it first try! On the negative side, I let my son use the amiibo when he was playing, and being a careless 9 year old, he left it on the ground in the hall, and the dog found it, and ate Bowsers right arm, a few spines, and gave his hat a good chew. My sons response was "Sure, you can still use it!". *glare*

I still have to raise about 25,000 coins to finish off the costumes and get to 999 moons but I'll probably do that at a later stage.

And done!

I was in Argos and saw they had the Bowser Wedding amiibo. My son told me that it helps find purple coins so that helped with the last 30 or so. I went to replay Darker Side of the Moon which annoyed me a lot, and I cleared it first try! On the negative side, I let my son use the amiibo when he was playing, and being a careless 9 year old, he left it on the ground in the hall, and the dog found it, and ate Bowsers right arm, a few spines, and gave his hat a good chew. My sons response was "Sure, you can still use it!". *glare*

I still have to raise about 25,000 coins to finish off the costumes and get to 999 moons but I'll probably do that at a later stage.

Are some items or content locked behind Amiibos?

• Advertisement

The amiibo make the moons easier to find but I don't think there are amino exclusive moons. I also don't know if the wedding dress is an amiibo exclusive.

And done!

Darker side felt like a damp squib in comparison to champions road and grandmaster galaxies. The level just feels a little flat. The start is super cool though.

Banjo wrote: »
    The amiibo make the moons easier to find but I don't think there are amino exclusive moons. I also don't know if the wedding dress is an amiibo exclusive.

Nope, it's not. All costumes are unlockable post game. Amiibo can unlock them early and for free.

Do purple coins give you a moon?

I thought they did then I collected all the coins in the Lost Isle and didn't get one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

My son "finished" it last night but he's no where near complete.
    He just took the shortest route to the end of the game.
    I'm taking a more leisurely path, collecting as many moons as I go, learning Nintendo's tricks on how to hide a collectable along the way
    Brilliant fun.

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Do purple coins give you a moon?

I thought they did then I collected all the coins in the Lost Isle and didn't get one.

No, they don't. You need them to buy the souveniers and the costumes, but there are moons related to those activities. You'll need most of the coins to get 100% of the main game moons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I'm kinda regretting getting this game digitally. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the game but I'm close to finishing the main story and not sure it's pulled me in enough to devote hours and hours to find more moons.
    It's a good game, but once I've completed the story I'm not sure how much more I'll play it.

I'm kinda regretting getting this game digitally. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying the game but I'm close to finishing the main story and not sure it's pulled me in enough to devote hours and hours to find more moons.
    It's a good game, but once I've completed the story I'm not sure how much more I'll play it.

Digital is always the worse option. IT's usually dearer than the likes of Amazon and of course there's no re-sale value.
    Plus AFAIK you don't actually "own" digital purchases and no legal way to transfer
    content in the event of your passing.

Digital is always the worse option. IT's usually dearer than the likes of Amazon and of course there's no re-sale value.
    Plus AFAIK you don't actually "own" digital purchases and no legal way to transfer
    content in the event of your passing.

I bought it digitally from Amazon for about €45 so saved a little bit on that front.
    I'll stick to cartridge any more for big games. Don't mind going digital for smaller titles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Luncheon World is a pain in the h0le isn't it?

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Agreed. New Donk City has been the highlight.

I bought it digitally from Amazon for about €45 so saved a little bit on that front.
    I'll stick to cartridge any more for big games. Don't mind going digital for smaller titles.

The majority of the games I have on my 3DS were bought digitally. Only one game I have was bought physically.
    I understand the appeal of physical copies (charm, refundability), but digital downloads (nearly) eliminate having to swap out discs/cartridges.

Yup, definitely my least favourite one. Some of the hidden moons are ridiculous, to the point where there's no real way of legit finding them without using Amiibo or a guide.

The majority of the games I have on my 3DS were bought digitally. Only one game I have was bought physically.
    I understand the appeal of physical copies (charm, refundability), but digital downloads (nearly) eliminate having to swap out discs/cartridges.

I went fully digital on my Xbox One. Only really decided to go for cartridges on the Switch to save precious memory space. But i do like the cartridges. Kinda retro.

I think I'll go physical with the Switch, as it's nice to have a box for the games.

Real copy was 42 or 40 with prime.

Aside from a certain platforming course in luncheon I had no real problems with the world. That wasn't really a problem either I just sucked and died - a lot!

Real copy was 42 or 40 with prime.

How much is prime? I think I used a free trial for prime before but I've no interest in paying for it.
    Plus I've heard some horror stories on boards from people waiting ages for stuff to deliver from Amazon sometimes for new release games.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Aside from a certain platforming course in luncheon I had no real problems with the world. That wasn't really a problem either I just sucked and died - a lot!

It's more the obscurity of the hidden moons, than the difficulty. Three in particular are ridiculous.

That platforming course, I found, was pretty easy. The thing is that most people seem to try to rush through it in an perfect parkour-like flow. It's pretty simple if you just take it one at a time, and just right on the platform change.

• Advertisement

How much is prime? I think I used a free trial for prime before but I've no interest in paying for it.
    Plus I've heard some horror stories on boards from people waiting ages for stuff to deliver from Amazon sometimes for new release games.

Prime is about 80 or so. i don't think it's worth it here, as we don't get the free one day shipped, nor do we get a decent version of Amazon Video.

Just finished the main story this morning. Very enjoyable game and still lots more to do. Loved the final level. For me it's a 9 out of 10 game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

Finished the main part on Friday (6 days after purchasing the game) and while it's not perfect by any means it's still a great game and I'm enjoying finding extra moons and can see myself playing it for a long time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I didn't watch any trailers of this since the first one and I'm so glad I didn't. Finished the story the other day and was delighted with the surprise afterwards. I'm now star hunting, sorry moon hunting and the difficulty is gone up plenty enough to make it alot more interesting.
    Really love this game. Only complaint I have is all the other cool games that have just been released so soon after that I can't bring myself to buy until I 100% this Badboy.

• Advertisement

I didn't watch any trailers of this since the first one and I'm so glad I didn't. Finished the story the other day and was delighted with the surprise afterwards. I'm now star hunting, sorry moon hunting and the difficulty is gone up plenty enough to make it alot more interesting.
    Really love this game. Only complaint I have is all the other cool games that have just been released so soon after that I can't bring myself to buy until I 100% this Badboy.

My young fella has it finished and is biting his tongue so he doesn't spoil it for me.
    I'll have to try and get it done later today, so I can start Skyrim tomorrow with a clean slate!

My young fella has it finished and is biting his tongue so he doesn't spoil it for me.
    I'll have to try and get it done later today, so I can start Skyrim tomorrow with a clean slate!
    I'm guessing finished is just finishing the main campaign? If so you're really doing the game an injustice by not devoting the next month of your life to playing it. P. S if you haven't finished mario what Hope have you of getting through Skyrim!

I'm guessing finished is just finishing the main campaign? If so you're really doing the game an injustice by not devoting the next month of your life to playing it. P. S if you haven't finished mario what Hope have you of getting through Skyrim!

Different games I guess!

I've been dipping in and out of Super Mario Odyssey and it seems purpose built for such kinds of play, with always a little something to be gained from 15 minutes game time.

Skyrim looks like an enjoyable slog, I have still fresh memories of hours and hours of enjoyment playing Oblivion on the 360, some ten years ago or more now.
    Prior to Breath of the Wild it was the first game I poured such a long stretch of time into, 60 hours+.
    It was the masses of material to be played through, without even going near the main campaign that was so startling, a quick off piste wander would turn up a set of stairs in the middle of a moonlit ruin, and so a sequence of adventures would ensue, and so I think it will be with Skyrim!

Can't wait!

Different games I guess!

I've been dipping in and out of Super Mario Odyssey and it seems purpose built for such kinds of play, with always a little something to be gained from 15 minutes game time.

Skyrim looks like an enjoyable slog, I have still fresh memories of hours and hours of enjoyment playing Oblivion on the 360, some ten years ago or more now.
    Prior to Breath of the Wild it was the first game I poured such a long stretch of time into, 60 hours+.
    It was the masses of material to be played through, without even going near the main campaign that was so startling, a quick off piste wander would turn up a set of stairs in the middle of a moonlit ruin, and so a sequence of adventures would ensue, and so I think it will be with Skyrim!

Can't wait!
    I've never played it or paid it much attention but you've just put it on my radar, it's sounds pretty sweet. I also want doom. Think I'll put them on my switchmas wishlist. I can't handle starting a new game while engrossed in another.
    Time is a valuable resource and gaming isn't getting enough love from me at the moment. I need to drop a few hobbies. Especially the healthy ones like cycling and gardening. They are time hoggers. Raising kids could also get the chop soon. Or work.

I used to struggle with time management and game/life balance, then I realised that while you're obliged to raise your kids you're not obliged to raise them well :D Eat your chips and watch your cartoons, daddy's makin' his stories on the Switch! (you learn to filter out the moans of "Chips for breakfast??? AGAIN???" surprisingly quickly. )

• Advertisement
Advertisement