Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Mario Odyssey

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Game of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Nintendo's Obsession With Motion Controls Hurt Mario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae0xqXqiM40

It's something I've wondered about, especially if you're not using the Joy-Con's held detached from the Switch. Also, I remember people saying that motion controls were a gimmick and games like DKCR were messed up a bit by using them. So what's it like say if you're using a Pro Controller because as it says in the video there's 5 control setups on the Switch.

And some of the controls in SM3DW were needlessly gimmicky, e.g. blowing on the microphone to move platforms or touch the screen to raise and lower platforms. Some of the touch controls made sense, others didn't.

I remember people saying that motion controls had to go when they were talking about NX as it was back then, just like they said the name Wii had to go because it was toxic. Now, people have done a 180 and act like there's nothing wrong with them. I've always liked motion controls, especially when done right. FPS with pointer controls is the best control method but DOOM didn't use them, completely missed opportunity. If the Switch gets a COD, Activision will almost certainly use them. It's half of what made the games so great on Wii and Wii U.

• FutureGuy wrote: »
    Game of the year.

Yea, pips Zelda for me.
    I said it the first time I played it but I can't remember the last time a game made me smile this much. It's genuinely hilarious at times too.

I'd say Mario is some lad on the session :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Motion controls, in almost every situation, replace a perfectly good button press with a physical act that, inevitably, uses more effort and time than that needed to.. push a damn button!
    So they are pitiful.

I got them in the Metroid Prime Trilogy set of remasters on the Wii, implemented properly, but they were utterly pointless on CoD3, CoDBlops2 and so on, in my opinion at least.

As a mouse pointer replacement motion controls are fine, so Pikmin/2/3 on the Wii and WiiU were great with them, but not in action based titles.

At least, maybe, in No More Heroes, it worked well enough, but even then it was almost more of a p1ss take on the motions required, and the PS3 version of the same game plays just fine without them.
    I had zero issue with the "enhanced" controls of SM3DW, or SM3DL for that matter, certainly the DS series of devices had plenty of form in this regard and they were a development of same.

Unless you've played the modern Doom on a console you won't see that the standard controller works just fine and dandy, whatever the keyboard/mouse warriors might say.

Ultimately motion controls will succeed or fail based on the precision of the hardware and the implementation through the software.
    Star Fox Zero was badly hurt by a needlessly complex control system, one a player had to invest too much time in learning.

Truth is that, rather than asking a player to learn to be good at motion controls, by giving them access to the familiar physical controller it makes a title more accessible and immediate.

Also, consider the massive market in physical controllers on the PC and the pitiful response to motion controls on consoles that have offered them, such as the Kinect and Kinect 2.0 which were discontinued, and the PS Eye/Camera, which sold poorly and now serve as part of the PSVR hardware set up and little more.

People don't like motion controls, and they don't map well, working as a substitute for mouse/keyboard setups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭pasta-solo

In regard to the motion controls, I wouldn't be a huge fan in general, but when they are done well, I have no problem with them. Metroid Prime on Wii would be a great example.

For Mario Oddysey, I played with the Pro Controller, and used the motion feature quite a bit. It was very natural, just flick the controller up to throw Cappy in the air, or to the side for the 360 attack. There may have been more motion controls that I didn't use, but I didn't feel like I missed anything. Great game, and one that improves even more after finishing the story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Game of the year.

This just in: FutureGuy fired from his role as Xbox forum mod. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

pasta-solo wrote: »
    In regard to the motion controls, I wouldn't be a huge fan in general, but when they are done well, I have no problem with them. Metroid Prime on Wii would be a great example.

For Mario Oddysey, I played with the Pro Controller, and used the motion feature quite a bit. It was very natural, just flick the controller up to throw Cappy in the air, or to the side for the 360 attack. There may have been more motion controls that I didn't use, but I didn't feel like I missed anything. Great game, and one that improves even more after finishing the story!

I have a pro controller (used it loads for Splatoon 2) and tried it after using the split joy-con setup on Odyssey but once I got used to the split joy-cons I could never go back to the pro controller again! I've even taken to playing Splatoon 2 with them split as well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I have found that since I beat the game I have no interest in collecting the remaining Moons. Is anyone else feeling the same? I thought I'd be all on for getting another couple hundred Moons but its just not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I have found that since I beat the game I have no interest in collecting the remaining Moons. Is anyone else feeling the same? I thought I'd be all on for getting another couple hundred Moons but its just not happening.

I'm still enjoying the game and the little mini games I'm discovering since I've finished the main story. But I can't see me grinding to get 900 or whatever number of moons are in the game.
    I'm currently just short of 200. I'll probably put a few more hours into the game but I won't be 100 percenting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I just mainly jumped around the place experimenting and making up paths as I go. The moons were secondary to this. This is basically how I've gotten 90% of my moons. 5% being the main quest stuff. The other 5 being hint toads and mini games like picture match.

Like botw I don't think Nintendo intention is for the player to 100% the game. Just have fun doin what you do. If you're not having fun then stop or move onto the next fun game. If 100% is your thing then do that.

Me, I just intended to jump around and then I'd so many moons it seemed pointless not to get the rest. (Even if that meant spending almost two freaking hours at picture match. )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I have found that since I beat the game I have no interest in collecting the remaining Moons. Is anyone else feeling the same?

No, that wasn't really my experience at all. I finished the story in just a little more than the first weekend and I've been playing it a lot since. Might have helped that I didn't spend too much time looking for additional moons while I went through the story, so there was still plenty to explore and lots to do after I "finished".

There has been more than one occasion where I thought to myself "ok, that was fun, but getting a bit same-y now. I'll probably leave it there...", and then I sail to some other land and 2+ hours later realise I've picked up another bag full of moons and it's all just been great fun.

Have about 460 moons now and it looks like something might unlock at 500. So, that's incentive. They are getting more difficult to find and get though!

• Best Theme Ever

oh if only I could go back a few weeks :(

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Best Theme Ever

oh if only I could go back a few weeks :(

I agree! Can't stop listening to it! Found a site where all the tracks from all the kingdoms are available for download, they have all been playing on my phone constantly since!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Sparko

I think this one is my favourite, I particularly like the 60s vibe to it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Finally got around to finishing it.
    Now the job begins of completing it!

The IGN NVC podcast this week is a Mario Odyssey Spoilercast. Gives a full run down on every level, boss fights and their favourite parts of the game. Worth a listen if you've finished the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEBofiZGtWg

• The IGN NVC podcast this week is a Mario Odyssey Spoilercast. Gives a full run down on every level, boss fights and their favourite parts of the game. Worth a listen if you've finished the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEBofiZGtWg

Before I watch it does it spoil the endgame. I've just started playing it last night and I've already discovered so much more. I don't want to spoil that either.

• I also wanted to get around sharing some spoiler free thoughts;

So finished it last night. What a fantastic ending.
    I hadn't got that type of feeling since maybe getting a supped up grav gun in the end of Half Life 2, it was just one of those "what if I could moments?"
    use cappy to become bowser
    and the game let me :)

Not often I use Masterpiece when I've played a game but it been a very long time that a game has had this much of an impact. Every new discovery and mechanic introduced was a joy and also provided so much laughter.

It's something that I thought games had been loosing but in the year of AAA bull**** and Lootboxes Mario jumps in and pisses all over it.
    Nintendo pretty much said **** you, we innovate not take take take.

I think I started clapping to myself when the end credits rolled. Wife in the other room roaring in "wtf are you doing?!"

As for the endgame, I only played about an hour or so but looks to be only the beginning. Some touch challenges too. Can't wait to continue.

Special note to the musical score. Arguably one of the best soundtracks in a video-game.

GOTY easily for me and I would go as far as saying the best game I've played in well over a decade.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Before I watch it does it spoil the endgame. I've just started playing it last night and I've already discovered so much more. I don't want to spoil that either.

They start at world one and work their way through each land in the game. So you can stop the podcast at whatever point you got to in game.
    They do mention some things near the start that refer to things that unlock after the end credits. Nothing drastic though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Sparko wrote: »
    I think this one is my favourite, I particularly like the 60s vibe to it!

My favorite aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Amazon will have a Lightning deal on the Switch + Super Mario Odyssey at 3pm fwiw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Is there a way to view overall stats in Mario Odyssey? Currently, I press the (-) button in each level to see how many moons I’ve collected but is there a way to see my overall total?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Is there a way to view overall stats in Mario Odyssey? Currently, I press the (-) button in each level to see how many moons I’ve collected but is there a way to see my overall total?
    Like how many moons you have collected in total in the entire game? Just look at the Odyssey's sail that's how many you've collected (minus the ones you have "in hand").

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

100 jump rope challenge was insanity. Glad It's Out Of The Way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ugh, the 100 volleyball bounces were nearly as bad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

'Long Journey's End' is some exhilarating level, often tough but never unfair. Was stuck on the lava capturing part for longer than I should have until I started reading the pattern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I have hardly been back since I completed it (with a very small number of moons). Think I need to watch some speedruns or something to give me the bug to play it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Ugh, the 100 volleyball bounces were nearly as bad!

Easy trick for this. Change to two player mode, and control cappy. He moves much faster and turns quicker than Mario. Makes this challenge a piece of cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

keane2097 wrote: »
    I have hardly been back since I completed it (with a very small number of moons). Think I need to watch some speedruns or something to give me the bug to play it again.

Love the concept of minimum cap captures moons. In reality some moons are just way too difficult this way. Still, found it intriguing to watch.

Turtwig wrote: »
    Love the concept of minimum cap captures moons. In reality some moons are just way too difficult this way. Still, found it intriguing to watch.

WOW! I have been practising the dive onto cappy move the past few days as I want to use it in a certain race! I am finding it super hard to execute time after time though, I can get it now and again!! I do a triple jump then at the top of the third jump press and hold Y to get cappy to stay in one position. I then press Z which would normally ground pound but he dives towards cappy and then at the same time I quickly let go of Y and then press it again. Mario most of the time does the dive but does not bounce on cappy so I can throw him again for the second time and then dive onto him. What am I doing wrong? I would LOVE to master this and be able to do it as needed! I've looked at a few videos but have found none that explain it really well :-(

Thanks

• Advertisement

Just about practise I think really. I'm in the same boat as you, can get them sometimes but not consistently.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Just about practise I think really. I'm in the same boat as you, can get them sometimes but not consistently.

If I could find somewhere that shows the exact shows button presses, or even better see them in action (I'm a visual learner) I would probably get the knack of it sooner!!

After 500+ Moons and failing drastically at what that gets you, I think I'll leve it for a while

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

madmoe wrote: »
    WOW! I have been practising the dive onto cappy move the past few days as I want to use it in a certain race! I am finding it super hard to execute time after time though, I can get it now and again!! I do a triple jump then at the top of the third jump press and hold Y to get cappy to stay in one position. I then press Z which would normally ground pound but he dives towards cappy and then at the same time I quickly let go of Y and then press it again. Mario most of the time does the dive but does not bounce on cappy so I can throw him again for the second time and then dive onto him. What am I doing wrong? I would LOVE to master this and be able to do it as needed! I've looked at a few videos but have found none that explain it really well :-(

Thanks
    the trick is to hold the y button and hold it then release and press it quickly, you should be able to get it 9 times out of 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

iamtony wrote: »
    the trick is to hold the y button and hold it then release and press it quickly, you should be able to get it 9 times out of 10.

Use X to dive instead of Y...
    Makes the move much easier, though I still only get the sequence right some of the time...

Star Lord wrote: »
    Makes the move much easier, though I still only get the sequence right some of the time...

I'll give that a go! I got 500 moons last night and got to that place.....holy COW!! I can't even begin to figure out how to even get past the first tiny bit of it!! :eek::eek::eek:

Yeah I got to the
    Gliding lizard thing but I could never get the hang of him

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Yeah I got to the
    Gliding lizard thing but I could never get the hang of him

He's definitely not the easiest to maneuver!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I think the trick to using the Glydon (gliding lizard) is that rarely will you need to use up or down, you might need to slow yourself down alright sometimes but almost never to speed up. On 'that' level, which I presume is
    Long Journeys End, is to never press up or down with the Glydon,
    just hold B and press left or right when needed to hit each tornado and you'll get across quick

Got back into this last night for a few hours. Hovered up as many moons as I could find in the hat place and the t-rex place (still missing a good few) and onto the desert place now.

Need to get about 30 more moons for.... something.... to happen, looking forward to seeing what that might be.

Probably enjoyed last night's session to any other session so far, which is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

wheres the cheapest to buy this I see there are deals in argos http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7307160/Trail/searchtext%3EMARIO+.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭nairy hipples

safetyboy wrote: »
    wheres the cheapest to buy this I see there are deals in argos http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7307160/Trail/searchtext%3EMARIO+.htm

If you're happy enough with a digital copy then you can get it off the South African Switch eShop for €41

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

not to pushed on digital copies tbh, too old for that :) Ive no SD card in my switch either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

If you're happy enough with a digital copy then you can get it off the South African Switch eShop for €41

Is there any disadvantage in buying from another eShop? For example if you switch back to your home eShop after buying from South Africa can the games be seamlessly re-downloaded without having to change the country back to South Africa?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

There isn't, to my knowledge, any issue. I've had 2 different accounts on the same system downloading games from the US and Russia at the same time. I felt just like Jared Kushner but my wife refused to put the Ivanka wig on again, so the moment was ruined.

Safe word is "Complicit"!

Worth noting, your credit card / Paypal bill lists a Nintendo of Europe charge when you pay on the South African or Russian site. Can't find a state-side store that'll take my credit card.

Also worth noting - Region hopping could be seen as a violation of the Nintendo terms of service.
    And if at any point they decide they don't want our money any more, they could get tough....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Banjo wrote: »

Also worth noting - Region hopping could be seen as a violation of the Nintendo terms of service.
    And if at any point they decide they don't want our money any more, they could get tough....

Thanks, and yes if would be fair enough if the prevented doing it in the future.

What would be more annoying is if they didn't let you upload or re-download games bought from another country than your current one.

For exemple on the Apple App Store, if you had purchased many apps from the UK store and subsequently change your account to the Irish store, you won't be able to update or re-download the apps you had purchased from the UK (even though it is the same account and you have paid for them). They will only become available again if you switch your account back to the UK but then anything you might have purchased from the Irish store will disappear.

So basically buying apps from different countries is completely impractical.

https://twitter.com/iamtonyfarrell/status/938486007288102913
    Here mé doin it like a pro. Linked to a dormant twitter account, I hope my real life friends don't see it and think I'm a nerd:-)
    And way it's very easy to execute once you get the hang of it and I still say holding y then pull the trigger them rapidly release and repress is the best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

iamtony wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/iamtonyfarrell/status/938486007288102913
    Linked to a dormant twitter account, I hope my real life friends don't see it and think I'm a nerd:-)

LOL if they only knew mwahaha.

• Advertisement

So how many of ye went to the bother of extinguishing torches/lights (like on Hat world) expecting to get a moon? Don't think any world gives a moon for doing it, or am I misremembering?

Advertisement