Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Mario Odyssey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Is it just the first book in the shops by Christmas or both? I assume you'll be on the Late Late to promote it. Be interesting seeing the kids on the Toy Show talking about reading Anal Centipede. Though is it about a centipede who's very picky, a centipede which nests in people or a guy who plays centipede using alternate methods to cotrol the stick?

It was going to be about a guy called Alan De Pentice and his struggles with dyslexia but your ideas sound way better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

All I’m going to say is that after three hours of play, nobody makes games as good as Nintendo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Oh man the inability to do some of the moves in handheld mode is driving me nuts. There's 4 different throws I count so far I can't do. I play 90% in handheld mode. Unbelievable oversight on Nintendos part

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Oh man the inability to do some of the moves in handheld mode is driving me nuts. There's 4 different throws I count so far I can't do. I play 90% in handheld mode. Unbelievable oversight on Nintendos part

If you look at the action guide it might give you an alternative way to do the moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

LLMMLL wrote: »
    If you look at the action guide it might give you an alternative way to do the moves.

For a few of them there really isn’t an alternative. There’s no way to spin the hat in circles around you without using motion control for example

• Advertisement

For a few of them there really isn’t an alternative. There’s no way to spin the hat in circles around you without using motion control for example

Exactly. Really hope they patch this soon. It would be easy too as there is a load of unused buttons and buttons that do the same thing

Okay I actually figured out you can do this in handheld mode. Start spinning Mario using left stick and then press y. Would be nice if they had this in the action menu. I'll put my pitchfork away for now...

Edit: Still no way though to do upward/downward throw and homing cap throw in handheld mode as far as I'm aware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Does touchscreen work for the moves?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Any idea how to make the cap hit other targets after your throw it? In motion controls it's shake the right remote but can't find a way in handheld.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Getting a Switch in the next few days. Am I better off to get the Mario red console or console separat to the game?

I’m just thinking of digital VS physical version of the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Did anybody else just keep capturing the T-Rex for the laugh? The poor lad was trying to sleep and I had him roaming round for a good half hour :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Okay I actually figured out you can do this in handheld mode. Start spinning Mario using left stick and then press y. Would be nice if they had this in the action menu. I'll put my pitchfork away for now...

Edit: Still no way though to do upward/downward throw and homing cap throw in handheld mode as far as I'm aware.

So you can, I just tried it there. Cool. It’s a bit tricky and takes a bit more work to get going but it’s good to know.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Any idea how to make the cap hit other targets after your throw it? In motion controls it's shake the right remote but can't find a way in handheld.

I don’t know if you can. Ideally just pressing Y twice should do it but apparently they decided not to have it that way. Bit silly really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

This game is magnificent. The sheer level of invention on display in each and every world is astounding. Been playing with split remotes, and works fantastically.

Star Lord wrote: »
    This game is magnificent. The sheer level of invention on display in each and every world is astounding. Been playing with split remotes, and works fantastically.

That's the control method I'm using as well and it becomes so natural after a while. The smaller buttons on the Joy-Con are ideal for quick switching of button presses, jumping then capture etc although I've found myself using the motion control more and more. It's incredible the puzzles and places where they put the moons, I had collected a load of them in Tostarena and thought there can't be too many left......12 more moons found after that with quite a few more to go.

The
    Pyramid Guardian
    boss looks absolutely stunning graphically as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Imagine being as creatively arrogant as Nintendo. You have a game that will guaranteed sell millions, probably even if it's a genuine stinker. They could just be like every other AAA developer - release the same basic game, with a coat of paint and a few fixes to what is otherwise the same fundamental experience. Mario has never been broken, but Nintendo seems determined to fix it anyway.

All that's a long-winded way of saying: Super Mario Odyssey is Super Mario Galaxy levels good so far. It's one of the weirdest, messiest franchise game released in the last several years, and holy hell does it benefit from being so. It's so surprisingly dense with secrets - throwaway ideas that you spend 30 seconds with before EPD shoo you on to the next one. Super Mario 3D World was a bit like that at times, healthy with imagination, but it was also a safe and predictable game by series standards. Ain't no time for that here.

Mario is more tactile than ever in Odyssey - things like the more flexible roll prove seamless additions to gaming's most tightly honed moveset (can't quite get that joycon gesture for spin down though :eek:). Add to that the ever changing methods to actually traverse the world, and you have a game that brings immense joy simply through the most basic ways you direct Mario through these perfectly sized playgrounds. That's what separates Nintendo from so many of the pretenders. Even when you're not a dinosaur, bullet bill or
    em... a cactus
    , running around the worlds proves a real pleasure. But hey: why in the name of hell would one expect anything difference?

Doesn't it look great too? I mean technically there's more advanced games out there, but Nintendo pick their battles wisely and the game leaps from the screen - whether that's through the endlessly vibrant art design or some really rich texture work. So much colour!

Talented people in Kyoto have already recently ripped apart Zelda and built something extraordinary from the remains. Odyssey may not be quite as radical - in some ways it's a greatest hits, albeit with a disc of surprisingly wonderful new songs thrown in - but it shakes and stirs a familiar template so frequently that the biggest concern is actually missing something as ideas battle each other to make themselves known. Two times this year, then, Nintendo have set dizzyingly high new standards for what we should expect from gaming's most familiar, well-trodden franchises. The arrogant bastards. The glorious, glorious arrogance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I've climbed the big dune a few times just to tuck and roll down it, it's that much fun #Mariosimplepleasures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,197 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Getting a Switch in the next few days. Am I better off to get the Mario red console or console separat to the game?

I’m just thinking of digital VS physical version of the game.

I'd buy them separately. The SMO Switch bundle doesn't save you any money and it's better owning the game physically, in my opinion. But it's up to yourself, maybe you want those red Joy-Con's badly enough and can live with a digital code of SMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Just played the first hour. There is nothing left to be said that hasn't already been said. Incredible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Spent about 40 minutes with it last night.
    The game would appear to be my new, definitive, stupid smile generator.
    Just wonderful.
    A true system seller, they are going to be seeking copies of this for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

I would happily buy dlc for new worlds, challenges etc for this game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

wtlltw wrote: »
    I would happily buy dlc for new worlds, challenges etc for this game.

I would be horrified if they lock significant content behind a paywall, or an Amiibo, especially in a Mario game.
    But then, in paid for it in both Mario Kart 8 DX and BotW.
    I'm conflicted now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

After playing the game for 10 minutes, my friend asked me what were my first impressions. My answer: I dunno, so far all I have done so far is jumping on a frog trying to get a picture of the frog giving Mario a rim job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

Delivered from Amazon at 6.45 to my parcel motel. Any ideas when that will hit my locker in Dublin?

Arrived at Dublin an 14:30 and hit my locker at midnight. Just collected it there. I havent been this excited about a game since Galaxy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Impulse bought a Switch yesterday afternoon after seeing all the livestreams from the game. Well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I hate ye all. This is the first time I’ve truly wanted s Switch since launch. Knew it would happen but doesn’t make it any easier, pesky fvcking Italian plumber!!

Might have to kidnap my nephew for a week or 2 at some point....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Put in 3 to 4 hours so far, on the 3rd world, the sheer amount of secrets I've already found is astonishing. There's a constant feeling of I wonder if I can go there or if I can do this, and it's nearly always rewarded.

The motion controls and joycons are very well implemented, I find myself solely using them rather than my pro controller.

So far this is easily my game of the year.
    The first boss really struck me as nearly a hybrid Mario Zelda boss in its mechanics!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The best thing about the game: that feeling when you see something unusual - a visual or geographical tic, even - or want to test the limit of a certain mechanic. And the subsequent realisation that Nintendo have been there before you and are going to reward you for thinking of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm a little in love with Odyssey, and I think it adapts the open world structure much better than Zelda BOTW did. I don't mean that as a slagging of Zelda because thats still a great game, just it seems to suit Mario more. Johnny said there its not as much of a radical departure for Mario as it is for Zelda, and thats true, and maybe why it suits this more than Zelda did, I don't know. But its pretty incredible.

I'm a little in love with Odyssey, and I think it adapts the open world structure much better than Zelda BOTW did. I don't mean that as a slagging of Zelda because thats still a great game, just it seems to suit Mario more. Johnny said there its not as much of a radical departure for Mario as it is for Zelda, and thats true, and maybe why it suits this more than Zelda did, I don't know. But its pretty incredible.

I'd say the opposite. Zelda is truly open world in the sense that whatever you see you can get to by a variety of different means. In Mario it is open world to an extent but firmly rooted in the platformer genre. They both do certain things extremely well. Zelda excels as a true open world game and Mario excels as hybrid open world/platform game

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wtlltw

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I would be horrified if they lock significant content behind a paywall, or an Amiibo, especially in a Mario game.
    But then, in paid for it in both Mario Kart 8 DX and BotW.
    I'm conflicted now!

No I mean I want to them release even more content, but none of this paywall stuff. I was happy to pay for the extra content for MK8, but then again it was reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭rafi bomb

have people been exploring and then doing the boss or doing the boss first then exploring?

I tried exploring first on the waterfall one but obviously got stuck at parts trying to figure out what to do. May do the bosses first now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

rafi bomb wrote: »
    have people been exploring and then doing the boss or doing the boss first then exploring?

I tried exploring first on the waterfall one but obviously got stuck at parts trying to figure out what to do. May do the bosses first now

Explore a bit but always prioritise bosses. Many events and areas do you not fully unlock in the world until the main quest in the world has been completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭wexdevil

I do a little exploring then I head for the bosses, loving the game so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Havin a ball here with oddessy, exploring and seeing something like ohhh cool i wonder can cappy possess that and yep sure enough im left smiling like a goof :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Agh Bullet Bill maze and camera changing orientation gahhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

The zips! The zips!!! Awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,677 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The best thing about the game: that feeling when you see something unusual - a visual or geographical tic, even - or want to test the limit of a certain mechanic. And the subsequent realisation that Nintendo have been there before you and are going to reward you for thinking of it too.

So many good things in it, my favourite so far was the realisation that they aced the soundtrack. Like, f*ckin aced it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

This is brilliant, on the fifth world now, so many secrets everywhere. Really like the
    paintings that send you to other worlds you haven't been to yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Pants.

My local GS is out of stock. Click and collected from Dundrum last night...well, I clicked, the collect never went ahead as they cancelled it this morning. No stock.

I have a 15 euro GS voucher, wanted to buy physical.

Now I'm just thinking of biting the bullet (bill) and buying digitally. If only GS sold eshop vouchers so I could use the voucher on the nintendo eshop!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭wexdevil

DNRziA8UMAA6fSq.jpg:small

I'm never changing costume again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've noticed this in a lot of Nintendo games lately, Breath of the wild and Xenoblade spring to mind. Their open worlds at just brimming with things to do and they reward the player with pushing the boundaries. Compare that to most other open worlds with are built without any function in mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

My copy is in the An Post sorting center in Dublin. So close yet so far away (I'd be glad to save them the trouble of delivering it and collect it myself!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Sarn wrote: »
    My copy is in the An Post sorting center in Dublin. So close yet so far away (I'd be glad to save them the trouble of delivering it and collect it myself!).

mine too.
    Hope it gets to Cork tomorrow

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I've noticed this in a lot of Nintendo games lately, Breath of the wild and Xenoblade spring to mind. Their open worlds at just brimming with things to do and they reward the player with pushing the boundaries. Compare that to most other open worlds with are built without any function in mind.

There's actually quite little to do in BOTW imo, compared to something like GTA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

Asus X540L wrote: »
    mine too.
    Hope it gets to Cork tomorrow
    Do an Post work on bank holidays?

DeWitt wrote: »
    Do an Post work on bank holidays?

Thanks for ruining it for me m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Thanks for ruining it for me m8

Until someone answers the question, you can still hang in there and hope for a 'yes'!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Retr0gamer wrote: »

There's actually quite little to do in BOTW imo, compared to something like GTA

Possibly. But what is in GTA is just busy work stuff i ignore because it just isnt fun. Everything is marked on a map. There's less to do in botw but the fact that you have to explore and discover it yourself means it's so much more worthwhile. There's always something to find where your curiosity takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Anyone else find Odyssey almost impossible to play with the joy cons? Started on Friday with the pro controller but tried the joy cons once today and thought the control was just awful, went back to the pro controller fairly quickly

AMGer wrote: »
    Anyone else find Odyssey almost impossible to play with the joy cons? Started on Friday with the pro controller but tried the joy cons once today and thought the control was just awful, went back to the pro controller fairly quickly

I've actually found the opposite. Tried both ways and now can't imagine playing the rest of the game without split joycons. Both ways are fine though of course, just down to preference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement