Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Mario Odyssey

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

AMGer wrote: »
    Anyone else find Odyssey almost impossible to play with the joy cons? Started on Friday with the pro controller but tried the joy cons once today and thought the control was just awful, went back to the pro controller fairly quickly

Have to disagree, oddessy is the only game that i use the split joycons and it feels like the game was built around them, pro is pretty good too but some of the moves can be unreliable to pull off on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Maybe people are preferring the controller they started the game first with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Maybe people are preferring the controller they started the game first with?

I've played in handheld, with pro controller, with a single joycon, with a pair or joycons and as a part of a 2 player, one mario on pro Controller and the other with a joy con and no method has taken away from the experience.
    Personally, not specifically for this game I find holding a joycon in each hand my own favourite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'm playing with the joy cons and finding it ok. The controls/camera can be frustrating, though I don't think that is the controller option.

Benzino wrote: »
    I'm playing with the joy cons and finding it ok. The controls/camera can be frustrating, though I don't think that is the controller option.

Strange my missus mentioned the camera was frustrating for her, I haven't experienced it myself yet, I wonder what your doing that I'm not. I find it all very silky smooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Spent ages getting about 35 moons on the desert level. Can't believe there are nearly 50 left to find there. This game is going to last me for so long.... Great value.

iamtony wrote: »
    Strange my missus mentioned the camera was frustrating for her, I haven't experienced it myself yet, I wonder what your doing that I'm not. I find it all very silky smooth.

Nothing special ha. It's mostly when platforming, the camera and the direction he is looking in can be difficult to determine, which results in falling. It's the typical issues every 3D platformer faces imo

Nothing special ha. It's mostly when platforming, the camera and the direction he is looking in can be difficult to determine, which results in falling. It's the typical issues every 3D platformer faces imo

For my missus I suspect it's a lack of experience and using the right thumb stick while she's on the move but for yourself I've no idea. I can honestly say nothing about this game so far has frustrated me in the slightest. I love the way it combines all the moves from all the previous Mario games, if you haven't payed all of them maybe it's a different experience for you I dunno. For me it's all muscle memory and movements I wouldn't forget to easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Haven't started playing yet, but for those playing with separate joycons, are you just playing as is or are you using the wrist strap bits as well?

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Haven't started playing yet, but for those playing with separate joycons, are you just playing as is or are you using the wrist strap bits as well?

If you are using both together as a single player then no need for the extra bit but if it's a joycon each for 2 player then I'd say stick them on as it's easier to use the shoulder buttons for rolling and ground pounds and stuff. I find it amazing you can still use motion control with a single joycon.

iamtony wrote: »
    For my missus I suspect it's a lack of experience and using the right thumb stick while she's on the move but for yourself I've no idea. I can honestly say nothing about this game so far has frustrated me in the slightest. I love the way it combines all the moves from all the previous Mario games, if you haven't payed all of them maybe it's a different experience for you I dunno. For me it's all muscle memory and movements I wouldn't forget to easily.

This is my first Mario game since the SNES :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

This is my first Mario game since the SNES :D

Not even Super Mario run? (I know, it might not count :-))

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

While it'd be a fool's errand to even try to document every delightful flourish or moment of design genius in the game, it's worth praising the boss fights in particular. Sometimes the least interesting part of a Mario game, here they flow like a dream with some of the designers' richest ideas. What they lack in difficulty so far, they more than make up for in simply being a pleasure to suss out and fight through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My favourite one so far has been
    Knucklotec

Bob24 wrote: »

Ha, I don't count that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I found a Power Moon just now...

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAADV44pl5GltQ
    in Super Mario World. :p Have Nintendo talked about the inspiration for the Power Moons? This must surely be the origin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

That's it I'm tossing the game in the bin. How dare they trick me into purchasing something with a non-original concept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I'm surprised you can still post, I'd have thought the reveal that you can use Amiibo to reveal the locations of powermoons would have caused your hands to convulse uncontrollably for hours.

I'm sure the game isn't *that* good.

56 sleeps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Banjo wrote: »
    I'm sure the game isn't *that* good.

No, it's better...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

sligeach wrote: »
    I found a Power Moon just now...

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAADV44pl5GltQ
    in Super Mario World. :p Have Nintendo talked about the inspiration for the Power Moons? This must surely be the origin.

Yeah, that's well recognised, lovely little bonuses that they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,670 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Bob24 wrote: »

**** Super Mario Run, what a load of overrated ****e.

So is Super Mario Odyssey good guys? I was not hyped for it at all in contrast with the majority of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

sryanbruen wrote: »
    **** Super Mario Run, what a load of overrated ****e.

So is Super Mario Odyssey good guys? I was not hyped for it at all in contrast with the majority of people.

Super Mario Run is a great mobile game, especially with the remix 10 update for playing in short bursts. €10 was a bit steep but 50% off was a good price for what I've got out of it

And Odyssey is exceptional yeah. From visuals to music to controls and level design. Up there with Nintendo's best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,670 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Super Mario Run is a great mobile game, especially with the remix 10 update for playing in short bursts. €10 was a bit steep but 50% off was a good price for what I've got out of it

And Odyssey is exceptional yeah. From visuals to music to controls and level design. Up there with Nintendo's best.

The price is the main reason why I even consider it ****e or overrated, not even the game itself.

Ok, I guess I'll be getting a Switch next year then.

sryanbruen wrote: »

While I am enjoying it and think it's very good, I am a tad disappointed. But again, I'm not the usual audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Is it true this is a cakewalk?

As in no challenge whatsoever?

Asus X540L wrote: »

So far for me, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I guess they made completing all levels fairly easy so that everyone (including young enough kids or casual gamers) can do it without too much diffiuclty. But that collecting increasingly more moons is were the game gradually becomes more challenging for the more serious players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I dunno some of the platforming sections can be challenging enough.

One thing even with little challenge, it's never boring, a ten minute play can easily turn into a 2-3 hour one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I’ll leave this short video here if anybody wants to see it. The things people are able to do in this game is unreal, even if it’s only out a couple of days. This blew me away

https://v.redd.it/3x31d70ohvuz

I’ll leave this short video here if anybody wants to see it. The things people are able to do in this game is unreal, even if it’s only out a couple of days. This blew me away

https://v.redd.it/3x31d70ohvuz

Seems like a lot of Mario games really. Pretty much anyone can finish them but if you want to collect everything and get great times doing it, you're gonna have to show some great platforming skills!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Four words - Spinning athletics end goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

There's definitely a challenge, some moons I have no idea how to get. The difficulty gradually ramps up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Difficultly is always relative.

I've lost 20+ lives on a single power moon. Some moons require some intricate feats of platforming. I have complete both galaxy games to their final final level and I still find bits of this game challenging.

Unless you're a genius at kazio type Mario games (I've beaten kazio world) I think you'll find some challenges in here. You do have to actually find a lot of these first though.

The end of the Spinning athletics path . If you know what that means and found this game a cakewalk then you're probably in that .0001% bracket of gamers with frame perfect motor control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

AMGer wrote: »
    Four words - Spinning athletics end goal

Haha that was exactly what came into my head too. I mean how many moons do we actually remember the names to?:)

Nintendo estimate that the game has sold in excess of million copies in the first 3 days. Page 13.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/171031_2e.pdf

• Benzino wrote: »
    So far for me, yes.

How far are you guys in?
    I'm only just leaving the desert world,
    frozen and non frozen
    And I found plenty of challenge. Died numerous times too.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    How far are you guys in?
    I'm only just leaving the desert world,
    frozen and non frozen
    And I found plenty of challenge. Died numerous times too.

I'm on about the 6th world I think, just after the
    metro world
    . Some of the moons can be tricky to get, for sure, but the main game has been a breeze so far, bosses haven't been a challenge.

I see a lot of people talk about this being really easy. I hope not. One of my biggest complaints about SM3DW is that it's ridiculously easy, I'm on World 6, haven't played the game in over a month now. I made numerous posts on Miiverse about it. Tagging on a few hard levels at the end, post ending won't make up for it. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker was another complete cakewalk, stopped playing on either book 3 or 4, thought what's the point. When something is so easy it gets very boring. I get that it's a tough balancing act, but when you're doing most of your advertising on children's channels then you can't have Lost Levels levels of difficulty.

• @ Benzino, not going to look at your spoiler tag so can't quote direct.
    But out of interest are you trying to collect as many moons as possible? This is where I found the most challenge.
    Plenty of times where I shouted out "****!" as I mistimed a jump etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Loving the game so far. The Metro Kingdom level has been the highlight so far but the game mechanics in general are a joy.

I think I have about 80 moons so far and I've died a fair few times. It's not a hard game but wouldn't say it is overly easy either.

The art style is simply stunning in parts and some of the little touches are things you only get from Nintendo.

@ Benzino, not going to look at your spoiler tag so can't quote direct.
    But out of interest are you trying to collect as many moons as possible? This is where I found the most challenge.
    Plenty of times where I shouted out "****!" as I mistimed a jump etc..

Yeah definitely, the last level I must have collected about 45, I am assuming there are 50 per level? Some you have to go to another world to get though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Yeah definitely, the last level I must have collected about 45, I am assuming there are 50 per level? Some you have to go to another world to get though.

If you press - and then Y while on the map screen it tells you how many there are for that location. Anyone you have found will have the name next to the number.

It varies from location to location, with some in the 30s and I've seen one in the 60 range so far.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    If you press - and then Y while on the map screen it tells you how many there are for that location. Anyone you have found will have the name next to the number.

It varies from location to location, with some in the 30s and I've seen one in the 60 range so far.

Oh cool, I didn't know that. Thanks :)

Just finished the 'main' part of the game last night. It was great, especially the ending. On to all the post game stuff now, which there seems to be plenty of.

• Out of interest how many kingdoms are there just in numbers? (non-spoiler answer please!!)

• Advertisement

Out of interest how many kingdoms are there just in numbers? (non-spoiler answer please!!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,926 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

sligeach wrote: »
    I see a lot of people talk about this being really easy. I hope not. One of my biggest complaints about SM3DW is that it's ridiculously easy, I'm on World 6, haven't played the game in over a month now. I made numerous posts on Miiverse about it. Tagging on a few hard levels at the end, post ending won't make up for it. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker was another complete cakewalk, stopped playing on either book 3 or 4, thought what's the point. When something is so easy it gets very boring. I get that it's a tough balancing act, but when you're doing most of your advertising on children's channels then you can't have Lost Levels levels of difficulty.

SM3DW I found very easy as well up to the ending. However the post game levels were nicely challenging and really made the game shine. I'd also like to add that there weren't just a few post game levels tagged on at the end. There was as many or more post game levels than there were regular levels.

Mario Odyssey so far isn't too tough although there are some difficult moments. There's a good few straight up platforming ares you can find and they usually have hidden power moons that can be more difficult to reach. There's no lives and a decent checkpoint system as well. However the game is about exploring and figuring out the environment and puzzles rather than straight up platforming challenges. It's a different game to other 3D platformers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Is anyone who plays in handheld mode normally, detaching the joy cons and playing in table top mode.  Using the straps ?  From what I've read some moves can only be done with the motion controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Mine arrived!

Only had a quick blast. Almost like a Mario 64 sequel so far with cap DLC.
    Looove possessing frogs. Ribbit!

ps: Can you play detached without the straps? I seem to have misplaced the ones that came in the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Not true, there’s at least 17. I have 16 unlocked and there’s definitely one more to go. I don’t know about after that though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement