Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Super Mario Odyssey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

Not true, there’s at least 17. I have 16 unlocked and there’s definitely one more to go. I don’t know about after that though.

yeah just found that out after collecting more moons!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I don't know what you're all whispering about but I hate feeling left out. Pishwishwishwish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

wheres the cheapest in dublin to get tis, seems 60 quid everywhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

safetyboy wrote: »
    wheres the cheapest in dublin to get tis, seems 60 quid everywhere

54.99 in Smyths and 58.99 in Argos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Flaccus wrote: »
    Is anyone who plays in handheld mode normally, detaching the joy cons and playing in table top mode.  Using the straps ?  From what I've read some moves can only be done with the motion controls.

Yup that's what I'm doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Just finished the main story, brilliant game. Still loads to do. Keep collecting coins, you'll need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I was in Gamestop swords today and someone was trading this in next to me! :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I spent an hour or two with it this evening, just sublime.
    Just daft how good it is.
    A terrifying precedent for not only those Nintendo developers who have to follow it up, but also anyone who thinks they can make a 3D platformer on any format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Turtwig wrote: »
    Haha that was exactly what came into my head too. I mean how many moons do we actually remember the names to?:)

Secret 2d Treasure is actually worse, as I just found out. My brain is melted after it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Just finished the Metro Kingdom. I’m only playing in handheld and while I wouldn’t say it’s tough I’m not finding it easy either. I looked at a couple of videos of people doing crazy things and I’m wondering if it’s possible in handheld mode or if I’m just crap.

Great fun though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

This game is just so amazing I nearly cried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

OnDraught wrote: »
    Just finished the Metro Kingdom. I’m only playing in handheld and while I wouldn’t say it’s tough I’m not finding it easy either. I looked at a couple of videos of people doing crazy things and I’m wondering if it’s possible in handheld mode or if I’m just crap.

Great fun though!

The mechanics will come with progression as in order to get various power moons you will have to learn the rudimentary steps to those advanced combos. The tutorial signs and platforms in the later kingdoms will mention them and there's usually an area beside these where you can test the theory. Eventually you'll see opportunities for chaining together moves. Nintendo are masters at subtlety teaching the player through design of the environment. :)

Unfortunately handheld does not allow extended reach and faster moves. Those perks are restricted as far as I can tell to motion gestures. It's one drawback I have for this game. Tossing the hat upwards or downwards or using a precision or fast captured character move requires motion control.

The vast majority of moves and combos can be done in handheld though. Even a lot of the "boundary breaks" to reach hard to reach gold coin stashes.

Tl;Dr if your intention is to do high level speed running of the game you'll need motion control. Anything else is a simply a choice for your own convenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

AMGer wrote: »
    Four words - Spinning athletics end goal
    The moment I seen that level I was like "oh here we go" :D Only died twice though it wasn't that bad.

Most difficult/annoying moon for me so far was
    Golden Turnip recipe 3.
    Massive pain in the arse.

Just got this delivered from Amazon. +300 pages, looks the business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

You can redeem a starter guide here (possibly the first 20 pages of what you have I think) using Nintendo rewards on the My Nintendo site. It will set you back 10 gold coins! I downloaded it yesterday. Now to find a PDF version of what you have ;-)

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I saw that the other day on Amazon and was going to buy. Is it the hardback version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Saruhashi

sligeach wrote: »
    I see a lot of people talk about this being really easy. I hope not.

If someone is just playing to get the minimum number of moons to move on to the next level and get to the end of the story then it is incredibly easy. You would only have collected about 20% of the moons at that point.

I reckon you could plow through 3/4 of the story in 3 hours with maybe 4 or 5 "deaths" along the way.

The bosses are not particularly challenging, even if they are well designed.

I don't know what an easy or difficult game is supposed to be these days. Almost every game I've played is beatable without too much effort with the larger open world games simply taking longer to get through on account of all the things there are to do.

It's a tough one for Nintendo as there isn't a perfect solution. If you show up with an incredibly hard Mario game that has 99 levels then a lot of people will give up and never return when they can't get past level 10 after an hour of trying. If you make it a more leisurely experience then you maybe lose casual players to addictive mobile gaming. I think they do the best job possible in the circumstances.

You want to make a game that is accessible to everyone but you also want to make a challenging game for your long term fans.

The best thing to do there is just to allow everyone the opportunity to beat the story mode. How much "story" is there really to a Mario game anyway?

In Odyssey the story mode acts as a primer for the levels to come. Once you've wrapped it up you still have many hours to collect all of the other moons.

Some moons are found by simple exploration while others require some serious platforming skill. Then they manage to cover all of the ground in between.

I got the new Wolfenstein on the same day as Odyssey and I've already played through it and it wasn't particularly taxing either. 2 days and then it's over.
    The story is rubbish but the gameplay is still good. Now, if I wanted to play again it's the same levels but with the difficulty artificially raised. With Odyssey I still have hundreds of things I can do that I have never done before.

I think they've done the right thing by making the story easy to complete and then opening the world up and encouraging the player to 100% the game. There is almost no busy work and almost no repetition.

Think of it as a vastly expanded and improved Super Mario 64. A much broader range of worlds and tasks to complete. An easier starting point but a higher level of difficulty at the end. Improved graphics, improved controls, improved music. Play it on the go or at home. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm loving this. Every spare moment is moon hunting. The endgame is much more challenging than the main "story" part. I'm up to about 560 moons, and I can't wait to get back into it, and I've still loads to do. I've not 100% any worlds bar the two smaller ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm collecting as many moons as I can from an area before moving on to the next one.
    So far, it's been great fun.
    The familiar questions of "what's around that corner" popping up, just like in Mario 64.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Same here. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I'd happily never leave New Donk City. Loved that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

superg wrote:
    I'd happily never leave New Donk City. Loved that.

I really disliked New Donk City compared to the rest of the world's I've so far visited. The first section pre-boss was awful.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I saw that the other day on Amazon and was going to buy. Is it the hardback version?

Yeah, hardback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,199 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Super Mario Odyssey Accolades Trailer - Nintendo Switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPo_5QtKpSY

• I've been pacing myself, Only on 5th world and trying to find everything (still missing half the moons :P)
    Every single world so far introduces something new and exciting that continuously makes me grin!

• Advertisement

I'd love to see Super Mario 64 released on the Switch as soon as possible, not re-textured but just tidied up a wee bit.
    That game is still amazing and would be a lovely dessert following Super Mario Odyssey as the main course.

Super Mario Legacy - stick 'em all on a cart - SMB all the way up to Galaxy. Might be too soon to want SM3DW reissued.
    Release that in the first week of January and Mariokart Maker in March to celebrate the 1 year anniversary, win 2018 nice and early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I've been pacing myself, Only on 5th world and trying to find everything (still missing half the moons :P)

Each to their own but to be honest, I wouldn't really recommend that. You'll be sent back to explore all these worlds again when you 'finish' the game (really that's a misnomer though; the only thing you're finishing is a mission. The game is much much bigger). If you've already explored every nook and cranny on your way to Bowser, it might feel like retreading old ground later on.

I 'finished' the game last weekend and have continued to play constantly since then. So much more to do.

It's crazy how well polished and presented this game is. Pure joy to play.

Banjo wrote: »
    Super Mario Legacy - stick 'em all on a cart - SMB all the way up to Galaxy. Might be too soon to want SM3DW reissued.
    Release that in the first week of January and Mariokart Maker in March to celebrate the 1 year anniversary, win 2018 nice and early.

With a 17Gb download as soon as you place the cart in the Switch!

A double pack of Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine, on a physical cart.

A HD rerelease of Luigi's Mansion and it's sequel.

A new Mario Maker title.

The inevitable NSMB title.

It's never going to happen, but in all seriousness, wouldn't 64GB fit most of the Mario main-line games in one package, unless they felt compelled to update the textures a little?

And if they *did* update the textures, wouldn't there be enough crossover between iterations that you'd have something of an economy of scale?

AND.... couldn't you use this - like the Donkey Kong 64 release - as a way of getting people to buy into a necessary hardware peripheral (i.e. bundled with 32GB and/or 64GB SD cards with highly collectable themed prints on them so wardrobe-owning nutters will buy the collection multiple times) without requiring them to think for themselves in any way?

I mean, surely at this point they have to give us a good reason *not* to...

• Advertisement

They'd be mad not to release Mario galaxy on the switch in hd.

Don't worry about motion controls I played an emulated version using the Xbox 360 controller it plays grand

I'm not loving the visuals of New Donk City at all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Interesting, it was the one area of the game I’ve seen in clips that just didn’t seem right, and looked kind of.....tacky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I really like it, it's different but in terms of the game being a journey to different kingdoms it's a nice change imo. It also contains some of the best moments in the game (so far)

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    I'm not loving the visuals of New Donk City at all

Interesting, it was the one area of the game I’ve seen in clips that just didn’t seem right, and looked kind of.....tacky.

Phew, im not alone!

Best game in years imo.

Just had a good session there, collected about 25 moons in the desert, thought I had most of them, turns out there's 69 lol

Btw, stacking the goombas to get the moon is the coolest thing I've seen in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Would people recommend just doing enough to complete the game now and doing the exploring after end game? I am doing a bit of both at the mo, not trying to 100% any world but getting a good feel for each then moving on. I'd say I pumped about 15 hours in so far and have just got to the 5th world

Maybe NDC will grow on me, we shall see.
    It's still a whole heap of amazing game though, even so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Completed the main story last night. Thoroughly delightful game throughout!

Really looking forward to the post game content which I have read is very extensive and should take a long time to get through.

For those not warming to New Donk City,
    have you helped the Mayor organise her celebration yet?

Yeah, the next part from odyssey back up to top of city was great throwback.

I just left it after 20 moons and am now a few more worlds on and back enjoying it more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I think because of the sheer verticality NDC is one of my favourite Mario environments. I just love the sense of scaling the buildings and moving between the urban zone.

Completed the main story last night. Thoroughly delightful game throughout!

Really looking forward to the post game content which I have read is very extensive and should take a long time to get through.

have you helped the Mayor organise her celebration yet?

Yep, hooray, a fetch quest.....
    But I could have stayed to listen to a concerts worth of Mario tunes....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I thought I would HATE New Donk City. Immediately hated it in the trailers.

Ended up loving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I thought I would HATE New Donk City. Immediately hated it in the trailers.

Ended up loving it.

Same; thought the trailer looked a bit naff but I really like New Donk City. One of my favourites actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Goodshape wrote: »
    Same; thought the trailer looked a bit naff but I really like New Donk City. One of my favourites actually.

I'm there right now and it's a whole lot of fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Sparko

Regarding something after the main story:
    Pressing A tons of times in a row with Archivist Toadette for each individual achievement.. Definitely wish that was streamlined!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Sparko wrote: »
    Regarding something after the main story:
    Pressing A tons of times in a row with Archivist Toadette for each individual achievement.. Definitely wish that was streamlined!

Yeah, that felt very un-Nintendo!

Just finished New Donk and I warmed to it in the end, especially the retro bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Just started playing tonight and will get a good few more hours in over the weekend.
    This is my first ever Mario game, despite being in my 30's. Never owned a Nintendo console until Switch.
    Really enjoying it so far. Particularly loving the retro sections.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I'm surprised that Odyssey's your first Mario game, and that the Switch is your first Nintendo console. Judging by your avatar, are you a Sonic/Sega fan?

And I'm glad you can really enjoy the 8-bit retro sections despite not growing up with the classics.

Advertisement