Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive Dublin bus driver

Options
  • 13-01-2017 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Just had my first incident with a bus driver. Beeping from behind lots then swearing in front of me - his issue was cycling in bus lane and not on footpath cycle lane. (I know as I pulled up to his window to have a chat about his behavior) The irony is I do use cycle lanes for the majority of my journey but this section is particularly treacherous for glass and wet leaves etc. so I don't bother anymore on this small stretch.
    Also, I alternate between getting this bus and cycling so well aware of this driver's tendencies to beep anything else that moves.

Have done the Dublin Bus complaint form and know it probably doesn't go anywhere but sure tis good to vent here I guess!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

So you admit to being in the wrong yet still want to complain the driver? Did you apologise to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

JeffKenna wrote: »
    So you admit to being in the wrong yet still want to complain the driver? Did you apologise to him?

How was he in the wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Mouseslayer17

Stay out of bus lanes and you'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭accensi0n

JeffKenna wrote: »

It's legal to cycle in a bus lane....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would kinda imagine that complaining to Dublin Bus about being beeped at by a bus driver while you were in a bus lane would be a good way of getting yourself a fine :D

Edit, yeah ok, just checked, its ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭accensi0n

looksee wrote: »
    I would kinda imagine that complaining to Dublin Bus about being beeped at by a bus driver while you were in a bus lane would be a good way of getting yourself a fine :D

Fine for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

accensi0n wrote: »
    It's legal to cycle in a bus lane....

The minister that opened that up has left a grey area and it actually still has to be verified on statute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

looksee wrote: »

A fine for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I am hoping those three posters, looksee, Jeffkenna and Mouseslayer broadcasting their ignorance of the rules of the road are not drivers.

If they are indeed drivers is it any wonder insurance costs are so high?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

This thread, oh boy!

1GJN7.gif

• Advertisement

He eating pop corn mighty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

My bad, I thought posting in the cycling forum would mean mostly cyclists who know the score would see it/reply....forgot it would attract certain others looking for a chance to get back on their pedestal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

While you may not have broken the law here, I'm sure you can understand it from the bus drivers point of view. He sees a cycle Lane, he doesn't know that there is glass and wet leaves on the cycle Lane, he gets angry, you are angry, result... 2 angry people wrecking each others day.

I know that I'm Cycling in the bus lane, it because the cycle Lane is covered in glass and wet leave, it is dangerous fir me cycle on tbis short stretch, could you please not curse at me like that, it is legal.for me to cycle here.

Oh right I didn't know that... right... well... ok... that explains it so

Right so...see you tomorrow

Sure, see you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

OP make sure to update the thread on how your complaint progressed. Thanks.

Wesser wrote: »

I know that I'm Cycling in the bus lane, it because the cycle Lane is covered in glass and wet leave, it is dangerous fir me cycle on tbis short stretch, could you please not curse at me like that, it is legal.for me to cycle here.

Actually the above is pretty much word for word what I said to him - he shouted "its illegal and I have to use the lane and they cost millions to build etc.". I told him I use cycle lanes for most of the journey but not that part but he didn't give a dogs...

Regardless, I can deal with a bit of beeping but swerving in front of me so that the side of the bus is a few inches away is pretty dangerous in this weather

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

I experienced this before.

Heading into town on the N11 coming past rte into donnybrook.

The cycle lane is on the footpath but on this section I never use it due to 1) poor state of the cycle lane 2) pedestrians in the footpath and 3) the way the cycle lane goes behind a bus shelter between a wall, there just isn't enough space and it's quite dangerous.

For those who know this section the bus lane is quite wide and would easily have passed me.

He just wanted to make a point and try and bully me off the road.

He was driving a double decker which was a costal tour bus. The bus was also empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Idioteque wrote: »
    Actually the above is pretty much word for word what I said to him - he shouted "its illegal and I have to use the lane and they cost millions to build etc.". I told him I use cycle lanes for most of the journey but not that part but he didn't give a dogs...

Regardless, I can deal with a bit of beeping but swerving in front of me so that the side of the bus is a few inches away is pretty dangerous in this weather

As a driver that has been sometimes frustrated by cyclists in Dublin I have to say that I would still be in agreement with you (based on your account). Fair nenough (maybe) a beep to point out that you were in the bus lane but to start swerving like that in any weather conditions let alone current ones is criminal and very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Mouseslayer17

Cyclists think they own the road shocker

micar wrote: »
    I experienced this before.

Heading into town on the N11 coming past rte into donnybrook.

The cycle lane is on the footpath but on this section I never use it due to 1) poor state of the cycle lane 2) pedestrians in the footpath and 3) the way the cycle lane goes behind a bus shelter between a wall, there just isn't enough space and it's quite dangerous.

For those who know this section the bus lane is quite wide and would easily have passed me.

He just wanted to make a point and try and bully me off the road.

He was driving a double decker which was a costal tour bus. The bus was also empty.

That cycle lane is quite good and plenty of room to pass shelter. Shelter is out against the road.

Buy a bell for the bike as its a legal requirement to warn the pedestrian and always travel at a safe speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭micar

Cyclists think they own the road shocker

Wonderful contribution!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

jimd2 wrote: »
    As a driver that has been sometimes frustrated by cyclists in Dublin I have to say that I would still be in agreement with you (based on your account). Fair nenough (maybe) a beep to point out that you were in the bus lane but to start swerving like that in any weather conditions let alone current ones is criminal and very dangerous.

Yeah look I try stay out of the bus lanes for a few reasons one of which being I've been on the same very bus where it's stuck crawling behind a bike but the funny thing is that traffic wasn't that bad and he easily could have overtaken without any stress - think it's just one of his pet peeves and he was having a bad day.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Report to Gardai. Imagine for a second you were not allowed in the bus lane. Does that somehow give him carte blanche to threaten you or partake in vehicular assault. You say he has form for it. Maybe he has been reported before.
    Imagine he started tailgating a small car, maybe that car is going to a hospital in an emergency, maybe the driver gets uncomfortable and he rear ends them.
    Perspective is a wonderful thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I dunno if I should be shocked that most people seem ignorant to the fact it's not illegal and there's no law to state you have to use a cycle lane.

Even so, what right has any motorist got becoming a have a go law enforcer. Just ignore him TBH.

I remember been told the same by taxi driver, who was ironically breaking the rules of the road, firstly on two accounts, he made his own lane for starters driving over hatched markings then decided to use the left hand turn lane as his own lane for merging back into the right, skipping traffic of course.

TallGlass wrote: »
    I dunno if I should be shocked that most people seem ignorant to the fact it's not illegal and there's no law to state you have to use a cycle lane.

Even so, what right has any motorist got becoming a have a go law enforcer. Just ignore him TBH.

I remember been told the same by taxi driver, who was ironically breaking the rules of the road, firstly on two accounts, he made his own lane for starters driving over hatched markings then decided to use the left hand turn lane as his own lane for merging back into the right, skipping traffic of course.

It was law and actually still is but Leo opened it up and legislation wasn't changed.

It is up in the air at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

jimd2 wrote: »

C'mon, really? the cyclist knows they're in the bus lane :rolleyes: you need to accept the fact that they're there for a good reason (usually) and get on with driving your bus. Just overtake when it's safe to do so, he has a right to be on the road too. You could just as easily be held up by another bus at a stop and have to overtake them too, do you beep at them also?

We really need the government, councils and RSA to start educating drivers and other road users that cyclists are not some sort of enemy target and in fact by being on a bike they are saving you time that would otherwise be spent in heavier traffic if they drove instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Stay out of bus lanes and you'll be grand

You mean the bus and cycle lanes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Wesser wrote: »
    While you may not have broken the law here, I'm sure you can understand it from the bus drivers point of view. He sees a cycle Lane, he doesn't know that there is glass and wet leaves on the cycle Lane, he gets angry, you are angry, result... 2 angry people wrecking each others day.

Oh right I didn't know that... right... well... ok... that explains it so

Right so...see you tomorrow

Sure, see you.

I see you've never encountered a bus driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

With all due respects to the mods, why do they allow obviously inflammatory posts to exist?

There will be no educating the people responsible, so is it click bait?

I think they do a great job here, in general btw. just don't know why certain posts are not deleted on sight.

More on topic, as someone who cycles solo a lot, I have over this last few months cycled about 3/4 foot from the side of the road, and it's great, best thing I have done.

I get to let other traffic/Vehicles overtake me, when it's OK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

It was law and actually still is but Leo opened it up and legislation wasn't changed.

It is up in the air at the moment.

Can you point me to this law you speak of? I would like to read it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement